Show off a "Problem Coin"

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by coinman1234, Mar 26, 2015.

1. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

Oh, it could very well be cleaned. The area at 3:30 and 6 o'clock on that obverse could very well be harshly cleaned using chemical treatment(?) to get rid of some dark spots that might have been there previously.

coinman1234 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. matty 440

matty 440 Member

nice picks everyone

4. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Not really sure. Considering that it still shows most of the mint luster, kind of hard to say. Clearly it took a dip though. Nothing about it seems harsh at all, just left the color lighter than it should be.

5. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I don't see any mint luster in the image. It has no skin left. That is harsh cleaning. Still a very nice coin but it will never straight grade.

6. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

No, I agree, I think the the AU details is correct, but it seems like the label should have said questionable color. It does have quite a bit of luster left and inline with what I would expect of an AU coin.

7. Vegas Vic

Vegas Vic Undermedicated psychiatric patient

8. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Sent this one in to NCS and it came back improperly cleaned. I guess it could have been cleaned in the past though. image.jpg

dwhiz likes this.
  9. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

Agree with the "improperly cleaned". The patina's been stripped off, it looks like.

10. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I know, just disappointed since it was an ANACS MS-64 before it went to NCS. It had a bit of tar looking grime on the reverse that I thought they could help out. Some of the flat look is because this image was shot with my iPhone.

11. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I already own this date and MM in MS64. I bought this one to crack out and keep. I wanted a decent one that I could use for a lucky coin.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

13. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Removed mint mark.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

DMPL_dingo, coinman1234 and JPeace$ like this.
  14. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

:eek: Lucky coin?

15. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Yeah. Don't know if it will or not...

16. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

I carry around an Ike as a lucky coin lol. Nothing amazing yet but worth a try.

loopytoad74 and JPeace$ like this.
  17. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Hairlined? Really? I don't see anything wrong with that coin in that picture.

18. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

19. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

DITTO

UnCommonCents likes this.
  20. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I don't either, but they probably show up if the coin was at an angle or had different lighting.

matty 440 likes this.
  21. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Here's one of mine....among several possible candidates LOL.

Cleaned, nicked and dinged examples make many fall within my budget...as long as they still have some eye appeal or were scarce/rare examples I couldn't reasonably budget or EVER afford otherwise.

Great thread...and terrific posts guys (and Gals LOL)

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted