Show off a "Problem Coin"

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by coinman1234, Mar 26, 2015.

1. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

Anyways, Most people want to stay away from problem coins, cleaned, corroded, scratched, Etc. Anyways, I never saw this topic and decided to start a subject on it. Sometimes, Problem coins can make it so you can buy a coin you normally can't afford problem free, other times you get more details but bad surfaces cheaper.

I will start off with this cleaned Farthing I got for a quarter. IMG_20141128_133504.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

Nice Topic.. Here is one I picked up for a dime. Granted it was while roll hunting and it was bent heavily. I flattened it most of the way out by sandwiching it between two pieces of wood and smacking it with a hammer.

IMG_3787 copy.jpg IMG_3788 copy.jpg

4. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

5. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

7. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Wow, what exactly happened to that Flying Eagle?

8. coop

coop Senior Member

I can't imagine anyone hating this coin to do this:
    [​IMG]

9. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

10. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Cleaned with a small damage spot. The missing letters is just from a filled die.

swamp yankee likes this.
  11. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

12. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

What story could this tell? Defacing the king's portrait at the time of the revolution.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Some of these make me sad, but some just have character. The 1914-D cent is one that makes me sad; the 1876 holed collection and the "beheaded" French coin have character, in my eyes.

swamp yankee, jlesliec and dwhiz like this.
  14. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

Not so sure about my memorial cent here. I'm still kinda wavering on whether it ~officially~ has an "According-to-Hoyle problem" or not.

SO on the fence about this one...
    Unknown.jpeg

15. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Picked this up for $35 if memory serves. Knew what I was getting........a problem coin, but my love for the 'soldier of the south' could't resist adding another to the collection.....

[​IMG]

16. coinman1234

Awesome coin, pretty cool to try to think of the story behind it.

17. Agilmore01

Agilmore01 Well-Known Member

My first coin I ever purchased. Paid $80. Semi key date 1915 P Barber half. Been cleaned at some point, and some of it was me rubbing it, before I knew better. Covered in hairlines.
    uploadfromtaptalk1427593936700.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1427593976227.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1427594015759.jpg

18. sgt23

sgt23 Active Member

That Barber is still nice enough to be a filler in my collection.

19. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Cracked this one out of an AU details slab. They called it cleaned, but I don't see a hairline on it anywhere, to me it looks like someone heated it up along the way. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

20. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Neat thread. Think my favorite so far is the 1883 dime for a dime.

swamp yankee, jlesliec, dwhiz and 3 others like this.
  21. coinman1234

You know what, I have to get more creative than my first Farthing.

Here is a King George II Halfpenny that was turned into a child's "whizzer" toy. You would drill two holes and put a string in each hole then wind it up and it will spin like a saw blade.

I found it metal detecting at a 200 year old school house so it also has some corrosion.
    IMG_20141109_174322.jpg

IMHO it is way cooler than most of the Colonial Coppers that I find metal detecting. I think the "Damage" gives it character.

Draft saved Draft deleted