Show me your Pans!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by AnYangMan, Apr 5, 2019.

1. AnYangMan

AnYangMan Well-Known Member

As some of you might know, my collection is basically split into two different sections. My primary focus is on archaic Chinese spades & knives, where I collect by variety and inscription. The second part of my collection is far less organized, but basically focusses on everything else that tickles my fancy, for whatever reason that may be. I tend to gravitate to coins that have both relatively high eye-appeal and an interesting historical story to tell, but will include anything if it tickles enough. From Greek to post-medieval, everything is represented. But in plotting all coins on a map, I discovered a significant lack of Classical and Hellenistic Greek coins. And for such an important step in the evolution in coinage, that is obviously not done!

So, armed with this excuse to buy more Greek coins, I saw this pop up for auction. Instantly, I knew I had to have it. Put in a bit of roughly thrice the starting price, won it for about half that. Needless to say, I was more than happy ;). The seller’s picture:

31Seller.jpg

Megalopolis, Arcadia (under the Achaean league). AR Hemidrachm (triobol), 175-168 BC. Obv: Bust of Zeus left. Rev: Pan seated left on rocks, with his right arm raised and a lagobolon in the left arm, Eagle seated left on lap. No control marks. Agrinion Hoard 236; Dengate, MN 13 (1967) Period III (182-168 BC). 2.39 grams and as the auctioneer stated it, a ‘très belle patine’.

What really drew me to this coin was the reverse. The beautiful, full-length depiction of Pan holding a Lagobolon, both quite finely executed, really speaks to the imagination. Especially the combination of the dark toning (it really is quite a bit darker in hand), yet colourful patches of toning in the middle, brings out the features charmingly. Look at the details in the face and on those abs! A bit of wear on the eagle and rocks, but I won’t let that spoil the fun ;).

Despite being aesthetically pleasing, I also find the depiction itself interesting from a mythological perspective. For I am a big fan of all things Pan and Satyr (perhaps due to reading too much C.S Lewis as a young child), and I am always on the lookout for some neat and interesting depictions of them on coins. And where better to get a coin from depicting Pan than from his rustic and lush homeland of Arcadia!

The one thing that puzzles me is the eagle sitting in Pan’s lap. As far as am I aware, Pan is not associated with eagles in any manner. Is it just a ‘random’ depiction, is it connected to the bust of Zeus on the obverse (and in turn with the special connection seen at the temple of Zeus Lykaios in Megalopolis itself), or is there an additional reason I am not aware of? Perhaps someone slightly more well-versed in ancient Greek mythology (maybe @Jochen?) is able to shed some light onto this?

So, show me those beautiful Pans, Satyrs, Fauns or coins from Arcadia!

Ps. Please, don’t show me any of your cookware ;)

PeteB, Pellinore, Pavlos and 17 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Volodya

Volodya Junior Member

Reverse is Pan, obverse is his buddy Silenus. Crawford 342/1.

Phil Davis

[​IMG]

4. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

AnYangMan and Volodya like this.
  5. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Very nice buy. I've always liked that reverse but have yet to pull the trigger on one of them.

Here he is on a Roman provincial, glamming it up in fawn skin couture as he stomps on a panther, demonstrating that PETA clearly does not stand for Pan for the Ethical Treatment of Animals...

Elagabalus - Nicopolis Pan Panther.jpg
    ELAGABALUS
    Rare. AE27. 12.24g, 26.9mm. MOESIA INFERIOR, Nicopolis ad Istrum, circa 218-222. Novius Rufus, legate. Varbanov 3949 (same dies); AMNG 1933 corr. (2 specimens). O: AVT M AVP – ANTΩNINOC (NO ligate), laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right, seen from front. R: VΠ NOBIOV POVΦOV NIKOΠOΛITΩN ΠPO, C ICTPΩ in exergue, Pan, with goats horns and legs, standing left, head right, draped in fawn skin, fawn hooves hanging from left arm, playing pipes (?), holding pedum in right hand, and placing left hoof on chest of panther which is lying on its back on the ground and raising its head.
    Ex Dr. Rainer Pudill Collection, purchased from Majestic, Großostheim, on 24 Sep 1997

6. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

I find some of the most common types to be particularly pleasing:

3720135.jpg

Cimmerian Bosporos, Pantikapaion, 310 – 303 BC
    Æ20, 7.31 grams
    Obverse: Bearded head of Satyr right.
    Reverse: ΠAN, Forepart of griffin left, fish below.
    References:
    Anokhin 1023 // MacDonald 69 // HGC 7,113

Provenance:
    CNG 372, April 2016, Lot 135.

7. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

8. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

My two pans assay scale - it's pretty, but my $10 electric pocket scale is much more accurate and fits in my shirt pocket :rolleyes:

ae331c82d1dae0181e2578d987de8922.jpg

AnYangMan, dlhill132, Bing and 5 others like this.
  9. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

I was looking for a frying pan, just prior to see the two posts above : I won't show, it would be redundant !!!

[​IMG]
    Pantikapaion, AE18
    Head of Pan left
    Hed and neck of bull left TT A N in field
    4.29 gr, 18 mm
    Ref : Sear #1699 v, MacDonald 67, SNG BM Black Sea 890-3, SNG Cop. 32

Q

10. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Antoninus Pius. 138-161 AD. Creteia-Flaviopolis, Bithynia and Pontus. Æ 17; 3.7 gm. Obv: AYT KAICAP ANTΩNIN(OC), His laureate and draped bust, r. Rev: (KPHT)IEΩΝ ΦΛ(ΑΟ)ΥΙΟ. Nude Pan seated on a rock, facing, head l., holding syrinx in his right hand and grasping a reed representing the transformed nymph Syrinx with his left hand. Pan was the god of the wild, hunting and companion of the nymphs. He was depicted as being half human, while having the legs and horns of a goat, as can be seen on this coin. Pan's body is covered with hair/fur, which is apparently unique to this representation of Pan on an ancient coin! VF/VF, with a splendid dark green patina. Unpublished and unique, as of this writing, though this coin will be published in RPC IV. It is currently included in the online publication as no. 11098 (Temporary).
    AntPiusCreteia-FlaviopolisPan2.jpg

11. Black Friar

Black Friar Well-Known Member

Ah humor, many thanks to Finn. C.Vib created some might fine coins for us to enjoy.

Attached Files:

AnYangMan, Bing, Carausius and 4 others like this.
  12. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

This was exactly what I was going to do since I don’t have any Pans on coins.

Black Friar likes this.
  13. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  14. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Very very nice @AnYangMan !

My PANs

upload_2019-4-5_15-33-52.png
    Makedon Amyntas II 395-393 BCE Æ12 2.0g Aigai or Pella mint Hd Pan - Forepart wolf chewing bone SNG Alpha Bank 179-80 Very Rare

Thrace Pantikapaion 4th C BC, AE 20 Pan head - Griffin forepart BMC 869.jpg
    Thrace Pantikapaion 4th C BC, AE 20 Pan head - Griffin forepart BMC 869

China AE Pan-Liang 2nd C BC.jpg
    China AE Pan-Liang 2nd C BC
    (LOL, SORRY, I could not resist!) :D

RR C Vibius CF CN Pansa 48 BCE AR Denarius Pan Jupiter Anxurus Sear 420 Craw 449-1.jpg
    RR C Vibius CF CN Pansa 48 BCE AR Denarius Pan Jupiter Anxurus Sear 420 Craw 449-1

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
    AnYangMan, dlhill132, Bing and 4 others like this.
  15. philologus_1

philologus_1 Supporter! Supporter

Some excellent portrayals of Pan are presented here! As I panned my collection I saw that I have a mere one example, struck under Antigonus II Gonatas.
    upload_2019-4-5_16-27-58.png

AnYangMan, dlhill132, Volodya and 5 others like this.
  16. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Arcadia Megalopolis.jpg
    ARCADIA MEGALOPOLIS
    Triobol
    OBVERSE: Laureate head of Zeus left
    REVERSE: Pan seated left, holding lagobolon; eagle on knee, monogram before, D/L behind
    Struck at Megalopolis 182-168 BC
    2.160g, 14mm
    Dengate 13
    ex Lewis L. Egnew

17. AnYangMan

AnYangMan Well-Known Member

Thanks all for your beautiful Pans! Especially love the poses on @zumbly’s and @PeteB’s coins!

And @Finn, you’re disqualified from further posting. Please pay your fine in a nice coin from your collection of your choice ;)

Alegandron likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted