Show a rare Sample slab

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by acan451, Feb 3, 2019.

1. acan451

acan451 Sample Slab Collector

I though it would be interesting too see how many sought after sample slabs we could get posted. Some sample slabs are becoming very hard too find So post away and let's see what people have collected.This one is mine it is
    a PCGS 005-3-1 the sample came with dates 1898,1899,1907,1903,1906,1907.1910,1911. It is a very hard too find sample and will command a high price at auction.
    IMG_0403.jpg IMG_0404 (2).jpg

dwhiz and Chris B like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

EMI, but what's a Sample Slab?

SlipperySocks likes this.
  4. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

This is the only one I have an image of.
    PCI%201.2.jpg

brokecoinguy and dwhiz like this.
  5. Hookman

Now from yours I'm getting an idea that it was given away at a TNA show as a sample. Sort of an advertising give-away.

And I can see a V nickel as a give-away also, considering how many of them in not-so-good condition are out there.

I've been to a coin shop here in Houston that keeps bunches of V nickels in the register drawer and gives them out as part of change for purchases.

Thanks.

6. Greyford

Greyford Senior Member

Sample slabs are what the coin grading companies give to major dealers anytime there is a change in the look of the actual slabs. They give them out to dealers to give them an in hand example of what changes have been made to the slab.

LaCointessa and Hookman like this.
  7. acan451

Try samplecoinslabs.com it will help to explain sample slabs. They are becoming very collectible and prices are going up, but you can still start a nice collection and stay on a budget. The one i have posted however has gone way up in price because that batch of samples are quiet rare. Hope you enjoy

8. acan451

102_0946.JPG 102_0947.JPG This is the first PCGS sample slab to contain a world coin inside.. It is another hard too find sample slab.

SlipperySocks and Hookman like this.
  9. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

10. acan451

11. acan451

Thanks nice sample I really like that holder

12. acan451

You are correct it is a sample and a promo slab. The v nickel sample is getting hard too find and are selling for a high premium now.
    Saw a 1904 last week selling for $350.00.
    Thanks

13. Randy_K

Randy_K Love them coins...

A 2001-vintage sample slab PCGS Sample Slab.jpg

Attached Files:

14. PennyGuy

PennyGuy US and CDN Copper

The owner of MMNS. (Later MNS), made this for me. He said that it was the only Sample he ever made. Note the label error..

[​IMG]

15. acan451

Yes it is a vintage sample and I really like the New York coin inside thanks for posting

16. acan451

Hello there how are you?
    That is so cool he did that for you. The error just makes it that much more fun. thanks for posting

17. acan451

Thank you all for posting. I am going back too my original profile name (acan451). The reason why is that after all these years being gone I finally remembered my old password LOL and was able to open my old profile. So hope too see you all again.
    All the Best
    Alan

18. Hookman

Hey guys, I just bought my first sample slab. I'm waiting on the mail to have it delivered. It's a :

UNITED STATES 1964 10 CENTS - Roosevelt Silver Dime PCGC GRADED AS MS64 SAMPLE SLAB

Edit 1 : In fact, my Sample Slab looks almost exactly like the one with the V nickel at the top of the page. Same color, same design. Just different coin.

Edit 2 : The PCGC above is a mis-spelling by the seller. The slab is a PCGS.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    LaCointessa and acan451 like this.
  19. acan451

Congrats on you first sample you picked a good one too start.

Hookman likes this.
  20. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Bad photo but here is one I have. IMG_0001.JPG

LaCointessa likes this.
  21. yarm

yarm Junior Member

An early PCGS example.

PCGSsampleslab00000.jpg

Not for sale.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
Draft saved Draft deleted