Should we break up the mint roll?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by bobbeth87, Jun 9, 2009.

1. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

Ok, one more thing, I have finished my search through the P roll that I had cracked open and a D roll. Found nothing in the D roll, but at least half of the P cents had an "extra" finger variety. What they appear to me is that there was a die crack. I have found various stages of this die crack. I wish I had something to take close up pics. Hopefully someone could post some more pics here and I can verify if that is what I have. I can't tell from the only pic that has been posted in this thread.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

This is EXACTLY what I found! All three of these varieties I have found in my stash. http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=26&threadid=724339&highlight_key=y&keyword1=DDR

The exciting news is that I have given away about 25cents out of this roll already to my fellow members here on CT. They were mailed out today so chances are 50% based on what I have left on my desk, that half of you today will find the "extra" thumb variety. Sweet!!!! Just remember good ol' Joe when cashing them in. :D

4. raider34

raider34 Active Member

Here's 2 more pics, it looks the same on all the coins. With out using any magnification it looks like a scratch, but with magnification it's raised, not exactly sure what caused it, but I agree somethings up with these P mint cents.

Attached Files:

5. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

6. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I opened another roll, this one the latest ( by 1 minute):D. The first roll was dated 4/27/09 time 8:50 and had 9 "double thumb", 8 "six finger" and 5 neck clash. This roll was same day 8:51 and had 6 double thumbs,8 six fingers, and 11 neck clashes. Still have 3 rolls in between. but would like to see how many seem to appear before opening the white box. 2 rolls = 15 DT, 16 SF, 16 NC. Very even distribution. I know the neck clashes won't have much value, but they are distinctive. here are sample photos of mine.

Jim

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

With this many being found, the prices on ebay will plummet. I just checked and while they went for 30 bucks yesterday, they are going for 12 to 14 today, and there are dozens up there right now with no bids....

We probably missed the boat here.

8. justndav76

justndav76 Member

Well my boxes of LP-2 are all dated 4-22 and I just opened one box (the one Im keeping for myself) and the D roll is H/T and the P roll is H/H so I cant tell if I have anything worth looking at in the P roll. The other four rolls will remain in sealed boxes until I decide to sell them or just open them. I may wait until the Mint sells out, whenever that may be, and then sell as the prices will likely go back up some. I hope so anyway. Anyone else finding the Mint wrapped rolls arent H/T its happened to me with LP-1 as well I had a H/T and a H/H roll.

9. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

I just looked on ebay, and the prices have come way down on these for now. However, one guy had a roll with the end penny having the error. He is selling both rolls using this as a ploy (smart dude). The bid is up to $152.50 with 19 hours to go. I just opened my last box and no such luck for me (4/28 date was right, and I had a H/H roll for P, but neither have the error).

I did not break up the roll, but I don't think I lost too much of the premium by opening the box. You may want to do the same with a price that high for a roll.

Good luck everyone!!!

This public service announcement has been brought to you by Coin Talk! :)

10. xtrmbrdr

xtrmbrdr Senior Member

I have 5 sets from the mint dated 4/20, I have only opened one box and the P roll is T/T but I don't see any errors, so I'm going to keep the rest in tack. Are these only being found in mint rolls? or are they also being found in bank rolls? I have a $25 box of P rolls, I could look through.

11. buyingsilvers

buyingsilvers New Member

I opened up 3 sets, and have a bunch of those in it. Hard to see with my 10x loupe. It's almost like a line parallel to the fingers, but not the obvious DD

12. raider34

raider34 Active Member

Yeah, it seems to be the weakest of the DD found so far.

13. buyingsilvers

buyingsilvers New Member

kinda sucks. I'm probably better off selling the other 2 sets on ebay, rather than opening them and finding the same thing.

I've also found a lot of the die cracks in "One Cent".

14. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

read my post a few back....if the end penny has the DD, sell as a roll with the potential of more, you'll make a mint! Read my post...

15. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I keep expecting someone to advertise a DDR they say is the first from a bank roll :D

And of course is very expensive.

But seriously, I have not read of bank roll discoveries yet, has anyone?

Jim

16. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

I have 5 LP2 sets dated 4-29......

SELL, SEARCH or HOLD ????

17. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

Decisions Decisions... :D

18. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

I have 2 sets dated 4/27. Is that the magic date?

I haven't been following things as closely as usual, my back is really messed up again and I am spending very little time sitting down lately.

19. 4largecents

4largecents Goldpan Man

Sell them, the quality sucks, and most likely you will just lose money by breaking them open.:goof:

20. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

My heads starting to hurt......:headbang:

Attached Files:

21. 4largecents

4largecents Goldpan Man

Better your head than your WALLET...lol.:whistle:

Draft saved Draft deleted