Should this coin just be labelled 'a barbarous radiate' ?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Cobbler, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Cobbler

Cobbler Member

I have no idea where or why I bought this coin, probably sometime back in the 1980s, so I'd just like to find out what I can about it! Roman 3 - Rotate L.jpg

Copper or bronze; size 15 x 17 mm, weight , c 3g

The very poor definition suggests it's a barbarous radiate so maybe I just decided to have an example of one

Ruler: ??, ?3rd century AD
    Type: Plain 'AE4' unless it's possibly a crude copy of an Ae Antonianus
    Mint: ?Western Provinces
    Obverse: Either worn off or it never had one! Radiate bust, right
    Reverse: ?3 letters but I can't make them out
    ???Possibly a crude copy of Mars advancing right, holding trophy in left hand and transverse spear in right hand.
    'II' (or possibly 'W') in reverse field

Perhaps I should just label it as an example of a 3rd century barbarous radiate and leave it at that?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

The portrait looks like Claudius Gothicus. I think it may be a BR based on the reverse, but only have a rudimentary knowledge of this area. Wait for the more experienced members to comment

4. KIWITI

KIWITI Well-Known Member

It is Claudius Gothicus, but not a barbarous radiate, just reduced flan.

5. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

its looks to be an official Claud. Goth. just very worn. i'm not sure whats on the reverse.

6. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

The mint at Rome was managed by one Felicissimus during the reigns of Claudius II, Quintillus, and Aurelian. He was deeply corrupt, letting the quality of his products slip while he skimmed silver from the antoninianii to line his own pockets. Aurelian had him killed for his crimes, and there was a poorly documented revolt among mint workers, some of which seem to have packed up and left, possibly taking some dies with them. These extremely small-module antoninianii featuring Claudius II are probably from this time, but I don't think it's possible to determine if they are Rome mint products, or post-rebellion "irregular" issues. They are much better than the ugly copies of the Tetricii that came from Gaul and Britain.

E: The reverse of your coin is MARS VLTOR

7. roman99

roman99 Well-Known Member

AE1, AE2, AE3, and AE4 are used to refer to late Roman copper coins, after Constantine I's coinage. Radiate imitation of official Roman antoninianus are referred to as AE radiate.

8. Cobbler

Cobbler Member

Hi guys,

Point taken roman99 :shame:

Finn235 your contribution re Felicissimus is absolutely fascinating!

I've been looking at coins of Claudius Gothicus on the wildwinds site: http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/ric/claudius_II/t.html

Mine is not exactly the same as but is very similar to RIC66 and RIC67 which, coupled with the input above, gives us:

Ruler: Claudius II Gothicus 268-270AD
    Type: Ae Antonianus (reduced flan)
    Mint: Rome
    Obverse: (IMP C CLAVDIVS AVG), Radiate bust, right
    Reverse: (MAR)S VL(TOR) Mars walking right, holding spear and trophy. H in right field.

Everybody happy with that? Once again many thanks to everyone who contributed to my query

Draft saved Draft deleted