Should these be graded?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Illinois Newby, Mar 6, 2021.

?

Should these be NCG graded?

1. Absolutely

2. Not a chance

3. I would

4. I would not

5. Fake

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Ana Silverbell

Ana Silverbell Well-Known Member

All three are beautiful coins but I would not grade them. I would put them in airtites at a cost of ~ 50 cents per airtite. The cost of slabbing will not likely give you a return if you were to sell them and you will lose the enjoyment raw coins provide over slabbed.

Prices from NumisMedia - http://numismedia.com/rarecoinprices/fmv.shtml -revealed the following estimated values:

St. Gaudens 1914-s: AU58 $2,280; MS60 $2,300; MS64 $2,610.
    $5 1897 Gold: AU55/AU58 $650; MS60 $660; MS63 $730.
    Double Eagle 1898-s: AU58 $2,290; MS61 $2,320; MS63 $2,750.

I grade your coins as AU, with the St. Gauden's and Double Eagle being possible borderline MS; however, you can see that even as you get to mid-range MS, none of them jump much in value. I do not see any of the coins being high MS.

So, why the above quote from jeffB after this longwinded post on why not to slab them? If I were to slab them, I would follow jeffB's advice and use ICG at $10/coin.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
    Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

One correction: it's an 1898-S, not an 1898. The 1898-S doesn't have that jump at MS63.

Ana Silverbell likes this.
  4. Ana Silverbell

Ana Silverbell Well-Known Member

Thank the Lord for the "edit" feature. I corrected it and importantly, in my opinion, your correction also makes the 1898-s not a good candidate to grade.

Kentucky likes this.
  5. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

I voted "I would." You have opinion, now the best decision is your own! Good luck

6. Phil's Coins

Phil's Coins Well-Known Member

1. Airtight are NOT.
    2. If they are sonically sealed they are protected.
    3. IF you do not plan to sell them in the future go with ICG but remember, if you want the most for your coins you WILL NOT GET IT WITH ICG.
    Stay Safe.

7. Not a good dealer within 50 miles. Don't have any relationship with another collector close by.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  8. Yes that was a typo. I have no reason to believe they are fake, but there is always the chance.

paddyman98 likes this.
  9. Which do you suggest?

10. thanks I will check them.

tibor likes this.
  11. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

HOW DID YOU KNOW THEY WOULD NOT HONOR THE GRADE? DO THEY TELL YOU BEFORE YOU PAY THEM?? JUST CURIOUS, SIR, THANKS

12. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

It's not honoring the grade when dealing with a different company. It would be a cross over and they would have graded it lower

13. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

I try not to authenticate coins by images because the obverse of the 1898-S looks 100% counterfeit in your image while its revers looks 100% genuine. Note that the images appear to have been taken in different light. That "low alloy fake gold color" may help make the obverse look counterfeit. I voted keep your money to buy more gold coins.

Draft saved Draft deleted