Should there be a seam here?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by steve60, Aug 16, 2020.

1. steve60

steve60 New Member

I am still examining the 1 oz silver rounds I recently purchased from a local dealer (buffalo silver rounds from Golden State Mint).

I mentioned in a previous post that all the rounds checked out on the magnetic slide and the ping test using an app except two. These two give me a dull thud when pinged although they too passed the test on the magnetic slide and their weight and specific gravity seem correct. Then I noticed a seam on the edge of both rounds. Could this be just a defect in the striking process or is this the sign of a cast round that may indicate a fake? I am still waiting for an acid test to arrive as suggested for an additional test.

Thanks for the excellent feedback you all provide.

buffalo Silver Round edge.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

There should not be a seam there, but I'll wait for others to chime in.

spirityoda likes this.
  4. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

There shouldn't be a seam at all! Do all of them have seems or just the two that you think are fake?

5. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I can’t speak to privately struck silver rounds. We have no way of knowing what their quality control may be or what their acceptable parameters are. Myself, I wouldn’t feel confident in a silver round that showed a visible seam. But then again, I cannot say what may be acceptable to Golden State mint either.

6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I'll guess a damaged collar.

7. steve60

steve60 New Member

Just the two that were brought to my attention by the ping test. Upon further inspection, it appears that the seam only goes about half way around. It is possible that it is a crease rather than a seam. I am more concerned about the failure of the ping test and I am looking for a reason why it would fail.

8. steve60

steve60 New Member

I am beginning to think that it is a damaged collar too. Would that slight imperfection be enough to cause a round to not ping?

Heavymetal likes this.
  9. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I don't trust the ping test.

10. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

11. steve60

steve60 New Member

what are your favorite test or tests?

12. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

I agree, there's nothing scientific about a ping test at all and not all silver coins ping the same way, imo. The area that looks kinda like a seam may have a very good reason for being there, meaning just because it kinda looks like a seam doesn't mean it's a casted coin. The best test in my opinion is an XRF scanner as they don't lie and they name all the metals within the coin. That said, look on youtube to get information about the minting process by Golden State Mint, here's a link of one of their video's with silver issues. ;)

Attached Files:

13. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

need to do some more investigating. What is the weight? a lot of fake bullion will weigh in the right neighborhood though normally. the edge looks fishy, as said previously, an XRF test will tell you and a coin shop or bullion dealer should have one nowadays. it's becoming more commonplace with all the fakes out there and people not wanting to do it the old school scratch and acid test.

But I'd say if the others do not have it and they all are buffalo silver rounds from Golden State Mint, and just those two have that seam, then there's likely something fishy going on. they all should be the same.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted