Should the US mint start putting 95% copper pennies back in its proof sets?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Kai Greene, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Kai Greene

Kai Greene New Member

Should the US mint start putting 95% copper pennies in the proof sets to make the collectors happy, the Canadian mint put copper pennies in their proof sets before they killed off their pennies so should the US mint do the same thing before they kill off the penny?

Noahqto likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

Tough call - the 95% (brass) planchets used in 1982 and struck by mistake in later years are still causing all sorts of numismatic mayhem - shield reverse 'coppers' would open a new can of worms...
    5560307605_20d7d60de9_b.jpg

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

By law, they can't.

5. Kai Greene

Kai Greene New Member

But they did make 95% copper pennies for the proof sets and mint sets back in 2009 so if they really wanted too they could do it again or even do a stand alone coin in 95% copper and sell it for a premium to collectors.

6. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Maybe if they put the date bigley on both sides.

CoinCorgi likes this.
  7. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Wouldn't make any difference. It would be exciting for a year maybe two then it would just become meh and be the norm again.

8. onecenter

onecenter Member

Brass cents should be accompanied with silver Native American dollars, but in the silver proof sets only.

9. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

They were only able to do that because there was a specific law that required them to do so.

There's something you need to understand that you apparently don't understand. The mint doesn't get to mint whatever they want whenever they want. The mint does not make the decisions. The mint has to do what the law tells them to do, and that's all they are allowed to do. And Congress and the President make the laws.

10. Kai Greene

Kai Greene New Member

Maybe we can all contact our congressman at the same time we can get them to make copper pennies for the proof sets.

11. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Oh, sometimes they have... for example lowering the weight of the trime to 0.75g and increasing the fineness to 0.900 from 0.80g and 0.750 fine in 1854... the Coinage Act of March 3, 1853, which lowered the weight of the half dime to half dollar (http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/ampage?collId=llsl&fileName=010/llsl010.db&recNum=181) makes no mention of the trime.

But I'll grant you that was several years ago and the statute of limitations expired long ago.

And there was the redesigns of 1916 when the mint erroneously thought the law REQUIRED redesign after 25 years instead of merely permitting it.

But certainly, in recent years, the coin laws have specified - in sometimes nauseating detail - the precise design of the coin.

12. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I think it would be neat for the silver proof set but they would need to pass the necessary legislation.

13. iontyre

iontyre Active Member

I've always said it would be real nice if the silver proof set included a copper cent, silver dollar, and even a 'wartime' silver nickel. Then you would have all coins different from the regular proof set.

14. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

I’d like to see the silver set actually be all silver like some other countries do

Santinidollar likes this.
  15. CamaroDMD

Oh...a war nickel. I like that idea. Nice touch. I'd love to see a set like that. 95% copper cent, war nickel, 90% dime, quarter and half.

Santinidollar likes this.
  16. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

Nostalgic much? lol

CamaroDMD likes this.
  17. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

No but if you go of couple weeks later you'll find they do pass legislation to change the weight and fineness of the three cent silver piece.So they still had to have legislation to make a change and they couldn't do it on their own.

http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/ampage?collId=llsl&fileName=010/llsl010.db&recNum=210

18. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Didn't know that - one heck of an omnibus technical corrections act... lighthouse fund, paying some shrub for work on the census etc.

19. CamaroDMD

Well. Figure out why the congressman is from your district. They each have websites. You should be able to contact them through their site.

Draft saved Draft deleted