Should the U.S. change the images on its currency?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by heuvy31, Nov 6, 2013.

?

Should the U.S change who is depicted on its currency?

Poll closed Nov 13, 2013.
  1. Yes, the president currently serving in office should be used on all currency.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes, presidents other than the ones currently used should be depicted on the currency.

7.1%
  3. Yes, use people other than presidents who have played an important role in American society.

14.3%
  4. Yes, depicting something other than people (animals, buildings, etc).

28.6%
  5. Yes, using a combination of the previous choices.

14.3%
  6. No, continue using the current presidents depicted on the currency.

35.7%
  1. heuvy31

heuvy31 Active Member

I know there have been polls and conversations on cointalk about changing the design of the different denominations, but I would like everyone's thoughts on changing who is depicted on the currency (both coin and paper). Lincoln, Washington, Jefferson, Roosevelt, etc. have been used for quite some time now. Do you think it is time for someone or something new to be shown on the currency? I look forward to reading the responses.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. heuvy31

heuvy31 Active Member

I would go with a combination of the choices. I like the idea of having the current president on the currency, just not all of the currency. I would maybe put the current president on the coins that are currently circulated (cents, nickels, dimes and quarters). Plus these would be guaranteed to change every 4-8 years.

For bills, I would use different presidents, or important people. I think animals, buildings, etc could be really cool, but I think I would like to see a design of one first. Also, putting multiple images on some of the denominations could be nice.

4. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I think we need to return to the days of immortalizing Liberty, instead of real people. Liberty is what this country is supposed to be all about, and people need to be reminded of that . . . repeatedly.

I also think that, as a nation, we long embraced Independence . . . from England at that time, and now I think we should express our desire for independence from excessive government for all time.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
    BRandM, micbraun, stoster38 and 4 others like this.
  5. heuvy31

heuvy31 Active Member

Thanks for the reply ToughCOINS, I think there could be some very cool designs using Lady Liberty.

6. Rassi

Rassi #GoCubs #FlyTheW #WeAreGood

I don't think current leaders should be on US money. I would have no problem replacing Presidents (past) with Lady Liberty.

heuvy31 likes this.
  7. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I honestly don't like any of the options in this thread. I think our currency should return to the classic type designs depicting Liberty...like we had in the past. Some of the most beautiful US coins and currency had designs of this type. I don't think we should resurrect the old designs, but return to that way of thinking.

heuvy31 likes this.
  8. heuvy31

heuvy31 Active Member

Thanks camarodmd, I appreciate the response. That would actually fall under the option of something other than people. She seems to be a popular choice that's for sure.

9. jlogan

jlogan Well-Known Member

my ideas:
    get rid of the $1 bill
    leave jefforson on the $2, and put independence hall on the back
    put franklin on the 5, and the library of congress on the back
    leave hamilton on the 10, and keep the treasury on the back
    put grant on the 20, and the pentagon on the back
    put kennedy on the 50 and the white house on the back
    put washington on the 100 and the signing of the declaration of indep. on the back
    make a 200 with t. roosevelt, and the statue of liberty on the back
    make a 500 with lincoln, and the capitol on the back
    as for coins.....
    cent-- keep it the same
    nickel-- use the buffalo nickel design
    dime-- mercury dime design
    quarter-- seated liberty design
    half dollar-- morgan dollar obverse with walking liberty half reverse
    dollar-- indian head $5 obverse with morgan dollar reverse

heuvy31 likes this.
  10. CamaroDMD

This topic does come up from time to time and all of us "coin people" want the change. The problem is, once a President is on a coin...it's very hard to get him off. It takes an act of Congress and I think in some ways that for Congress to vote to remove someone from a coin it's almost their way of saying they don't agree with that person. Although none of the President's on the coins were perfect...regardless of our personal opinions, those few men are considered to be the "better" of our historical leaders. Because removing them would go against the common historical view of these people being "great presidents" it might be considered a political mistake to vote for their removal.

Perhaps that is why there has never really been a President replaced on a coin. One could argue that by saying that Ike was replaced...but in a sense he wasn't. The traditional "silver dollar" was discontinued and the "small dollar" created. Most common people seem to think this is a different thing (even though neither contained silver and they are worth the same).

Although I would love to see our currency have depictions of Liberty, I believe that a Congressman voting to remove Lincoln, Jefferson, FDR, Washington, and Kennedy from their coins might be political suicide.

heuvy31 likes this.
  11. heuvy31

heuvy31 Active Member

Very good point, thank you for sharing that. I honestly never thought of it in that way. Maybe Peter can send his local congressman a link to cointalk so they can see people would like a change :D

12. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

What the US does with its money is not exactly my business, but since
    heuvy31 wrote "I would like everyone's thoughts" ... :cool: Don't think there is anything wrong with having (dead) presidents on coins and paper money. Personally I prefer a wider variety which is why I voted for the animals/buildings option. However, going back to allegorical designs of the 19th century would not be a good idea in my opinion.

Christian

heuvy31 likes this.
  13. heuvy31

heuvy31 Active Member

Thanks Christian, and you are right, I am open to anyone's thoughts on this.

14. CamaroDMD

I don't have any fundamental problem with it either for the most part. However, I know that George Washington himself didn't want to be put on currency because that's what the British did for their monarchy.

That said, I think depictions of Liberty better illustrate the American spirit (or what we want it to be).

15. heuvy31

heuvy31 Active Member

I think you bring up an interesting point, what exactly should the images on the currency represent. Should they represent the nations fundamentals such as liberty, historical events/important people, achievements of the nation, or should they represent nothing more than their monetary value.

16. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

But wouldn't a decisive difference be that in the UK you have the current head of state on coins and notes while in the US you have deceased former heads of state? The latter I do not find strange "per se"; another question would of course be who to pick. :) But that would be the same if you picked scientists or artists ...

My only problem with allegories such as Liberty is that you may end up with designs that were already used a century ago. The spirit that you mentioned might as well be represented by the word Liberty - and that you find on every current American coin.

Ironically, the only recent design where Liberty is represented by an image rather than a word is the Statue of Liberty on the Presidential Dollars. Neat idea, and I like the design ... except this type is not minted for circulation any more.

Christian

17. Snowman

Snowman Senior Member

very well said CamaroDMD .. you saved me alot of typing

18. CamaroDMD

Yes, that is a major difference...and that's why we have done it. We have put our former heads of state who we consider "great" on our coins...not the current one. Still, it is similar and from what I have read was an idea not supported by the founding fathers.

19. ROLLJUNKIE

ROLLJUNKIE Active Member

I think putting liberty on fiat currency is an oxymoron. I think they should put the residing fed chairman picture on currency so we have a ton of preprinted wanted posters already made up and ready to go.

ToughCOINS likes this.
  20. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Best reply I've read in awhile.

21. Volante

Volante Well-Known Member

Is this the libertarian thread now?

I would agree with a return to the more artistic style of the early 20th century designs (Merc, Buffalo, Walking Lib, etc). Like CamaroDMD said though, it'll be difficult to remove the presidents from the coins now that they're on. Not to be morbid, but I think it might take another popular president getting killed (a la Kennedy) to get a design replacement.

Draft saved Draft deleted