SHOULD THE U.S. CENT COIN BE RETIRED?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Robert Ransom, Jul 5, 2020.

1. serdogthehound

serdogthehound Well-Known Member

Honestly have grown up in Canada I find a big stack of dollar bills annoying anytime I cross the boarder . I think the follow could be done for coins
    One cent (gone )

No change until half dollar should consider design refresh perhaps new history figure although I personally think Liberty in different designs is better over dead people

Make it either bimetal or same colour as the dollar but half the size (dime sizeish )

Dollar end the dollar bill if you want to go cool use the Liberty design that was done when the first release the SBA . Also try and get a cute and fun nickname going for it

Two dollar bimetal similar to a Toonie . This is for sure some type of Liberty.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mike Davis

Mike Davis Well-Known Member

Well with the advent of "new math" maybe the cashiers will be able to make change easier.

LA_Geezer likes this.
  4. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

It has been said here and elsewhere that a $1 coin in place of the current paper version would save us millions every year. I've noted previously that I use coins whenever/wherever I can.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  5. nuMRmatist

nuMRmatist Well-Known Member

RR - my neighbor in college - Greenville NC - was named Robert Ransom.

You ???

Robert Ransom likes this.
  6. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Hell no. Also. Hell no. I can’t believe you members have no consideration for us cent collectors. You members can have all the silver stuff. It’s like your making us Lincoln collectors walk the plank. @furryfrog02 My book has many holes. I started late. Just because you members have them all. Let us catch up. Better yet. If you hate cents so much. Turn them loose. My grand babies collect cents. Knock it off. View the whole coin collecting picture. How’s a 10 year old going to find coins to collect God help us

7. Cheech9712

I’ll settle for that

LA_Geezer and Robert Ransom like this.
  8. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

No, but probably a relative.

9. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

Thanks.

Robert Ransom likes this.
  10. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Probably most of the ones you are missing are older ones and they aren't making those anyway so discontinuing the cent won't affect them, they will still be available (until all the cents disappeared from circulation, probably less than a year) and they will still be available for purchase at VERY low prices. Except for the ones that are already expensive. So can't justify asking the government to continue losing over $50 million every year so you can roll hunt cents.

They will hunt nickels and dimes. Collecting dimes costs less in purchasing power set aside than the purchasing power of the cents I collected as a kid.

-jeffB, Cheech9712 and Robert Ransom like this.
  11. Cheech9712

I just like to vent on the cent issues. Can’t help myself. I understand the logic. But that doesn’t mean I can’t go down kicking and screaming

Robert Ransom and UncleScroge like this.
  12. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

“Do not go gentle into that good night”...Dylan Thomas

...Cheers! ...Spark

Cheech9712 and Robert Ransom like this.
  13. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

..."Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying light."

Spark1951 and Cheech9712 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted