Should Other Mints Mimic Canada's RCM?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by iPen, May 30, 2016.

1. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

Canada's MO seems to be to offer way more SKUs with lower mintage numbers compared to their US counterparts at the US Mint - specifically for silver coins.

For example, the US Mint may produce millions of the same silver eagles. Whereas, Canada not only produces their own version of a 1 oz bullion coin, but they also offer many more different variations such as various privy mark versions, hologram versions, etc in very limited numbers (in the thousands for what appears to be for most of their SKUs). To be fair, the US Mint has been offering different versions such as the reverse proof, burnished, enhanced uncirculated, state and national park quarters, etc.; but it pales in comparison to what the RCM offers.

Should the US Mint follow suit, with more to gain with very little to lose? Does this mean that more variety is being offered while still appearing as an attractive "investment" or collectible item due to its relative scarcity? Or does this come off as a gimmick that cheapens the RCM's image, and consequently, their primary offerings (maple leaf 1 oz)? This is subjective, but some of their silver coin offerings, despite their low mintage, doesn't appeal to me at all. Take a look at their seemingly endless number of offerings - I discover new ones frequently, not just for each new year's release, but from past years!

For example, this one has a 40K mintage, and is 1/2 oz of silver.

upload_2016-5-30_11-20-54.png

Or this one commemorating "milk", which, oddly, has a green enamel (why?). I think it would be more appropriate to intentionally cover it with milk spots over the entire reverse's surface, or add spots of it to the cow and entire milk only.

upload_2016-5-30_11-36-7.png

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: May 30, 2016
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

4. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

Agreed.

5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I can't keep up with what the mint (US) sells now...........the Canadians have a name for overboard and excessive issues in their country. Granny Bait.........

dwhiz, -jeffB and Hispanicus like this.
  6. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

In a word.... no!

Also, "more to gain and very little to lose" is highly debatable; it's just not that simple. The market for US Mint products and Canadian mint products are not across-the-board equals, so what may work for one does not automatically mean it'll work, or be wise, for the other.

7. onecenter

onecenter Member

The Royal Canadian Mint is geared toward competitive worldwide market for minting circulation, bullion and collector coinage at all levels, stimulating those markets where necessary, far beyond the needs of Canadian commerce.

The United States Mint is overwhelmingly geared to domestic circulation coinage needs with bullion coinage, second, followed by collector coinage. The United States Mint virtually left the world circulation coinage market 40 years ago and rarely mint's coinage for overseas nations.

I do not believe American collectors would want to see the US Mint imitate our Canadian friends in coinage.

8. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

How about instead of a one-for-one imitation, a "few" more offerings for the collectors crowd? The US and Canada are a mile apart in terms of each of their offerings/strategy, so how about some more variety, if anything to help attract more young numismatists?

9. Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl Collector

I live in Canada and wouldn't touch all the crap that the RCM puts out. There are low mintages, but far fewer collectors than mintage so they are dead weight. At least 75% of all the granny bait that they chuck out can be bought at 60-70% of issue price on the secondary market after 2-3 years.

*wolf7* and saltysam-1 like this.
  10. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

I think we have enough commemoratives now. How many years in advance do you want congress to approve this process? There is a limit on the number of commemoratives the mint can produce in any given year. They did this to control over production of causes and personal pet projects by our government officials. There was a long period of time when the mint wasn't allowed to make any commemoratives for this reason. If you junk it up, congress could step in and close the door again.

As a side note: This topic should really be in the coin chat forum. This is more towards our U.S. mint and not world coins.

Last edited: May 30, 2016
  11. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

As an American, the only thing I'd like to borrow from Canada is their health coverage.

Chris

SuperDave and green18 like this.
  12. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Agreed. Moved. :)

13. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

We already have similar issues. They're put out by the Franklin Mint.

As far as privy marks, I agree that's pure gimmick. Are you going to buy 12 silver eagles dated 2016 because there are a dozen different little symbols on them?

14. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

15. Bret Swanie

Bret Swanie Member

16. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

No, unless I'm already a silver bullion collector, and they're priced competitively with other bullion coins for a "small" amount over spot. Then, I'd like to get a bit of variety. Unfortunately, these limited edition coins tend to go for far more.

17. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

If I want a comic book character coin (which I don't) I will rely on the RCM. The special US mint issues are already numerous enough.

18. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Personally I would like to see the mint follow the lead of the RCM and some of the other world mints with more offerings. Granted that means that someone may see a lot of things they don't like, but they will also likely see a lot more things they do like. Some of the gold coins from the RCM are stunning as an example. Yes some of their stuff may be gimmicky, but I will never fault them for being creative or pushing the limit. We can mock them for some of the coins they do, but we seem to be so desperate for variation that the same coin in different packaging continues to sell.

19. World Colonial

World Colonial Active Member

No. The non-traditional coins for the RCM is known are gimmicks and there are too many of them. I also believe that the large number of different issues weakens the secondary market, despite their "low" mintages.

20. Whizb4ng

Whizb4ng HIC SVNT DRACONES

I won't get into the rest of the discussion because this topic comes up quite frequently (in my experience) and the discussion is always the same.

The green enamel on the coin is meant to pay homage to the old milk tokens that were often coloured. Some were also triangular but I can't find a good picture.

[​IMG]

Also, from the RCM website:

21. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

That green enamel makes sense, but I guess that coin was meant more for domestic collectors. I still think that a milk spot would be better lol.

Draft saved Draft deleted