Should it be PL or DMPL ??

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by redcent230, Sep 30, 2016.

1. redcent230

redcent230 Well-Known Member

I got this through Ebay and wonder if it should be PL or DMPL destination?? What would you grade this at ? Also is the eagle tilted ??

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Obverse yes probably dmpl but it doesn't look like the reverse made even PL so it didn't get the designation. 64+ maybe squeaked out a 65

Paul M. likes this.
  4. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

We really can't offer any conclusive opinion from a photograph; I know of no definitive way to illustrate the PL/DMPL comparison - or any more than a vague guess as to the depth of the mirrors) with a camera. Agreed with Cascade that only the obverse shows sufficient reflectivity for either designation, though. And a PL/DMPL designation requires both faces.

micbraun, dwhiz and Paul M. like this.
  5. blu62vette

blu62vette Member

That reverse looks very weak for mirrors, since it is already graded why don't you tell us?

6. redcent230

redcent230 Well-Known Member

I didn't know that it has to be both side of the coin to get the designation. So I guess you all answer my question. But is the eagle from the reverse looks tilted ?? Here is my picture for this coin.

Attached Files:

7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I don't think so. It looks to me that the coin is rotated slightly in the holder.

Chris

8. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Here's what a PL looks like .
    3g.jpg
    3f.jpg

1879 S Rev 79 Morgan Dollar - Obverse copy.png
    1879 S Rev 79 Morgan Dollar - Reverse copy.png

billy b likes this.
  9. Eaglefawn

Eaglefawn Active Member

Eagle does look tilted to me.

10. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

The coin is rotated in the holder. The eagle appears "tilted" because the coin wasn't put in the holder exactly plumb

11. NorthKorea

NorthKorea Dealer Member is a made up title...

I'd say 0% chance for PL based upon the reverse. Even based upon the obverse, the cameo effect is only semi-PL. I don't imagine that surface presenting the requisite 2" of mirroring.

12. blu62vette

blu62vette Member

2" of mirroring? That gets you nothing.

13. NorthKorea

If both sides have cameo devices and 2" of mirrored fields, you'll get PL.

14. SuperDave

2" of mirroring gets you nothing.

15. blu62vette

blu62vette Member

Cameo does not mean PL.

You will likely need to have 4-6" of mirrors to get PL at a grading service. 2" gets PL written on a 2x2 in a dealers case.

micbraun, Eaglefawn and Cascade like this.
  16. NorthKorea

Are we in agreement on what 2" of mirroring means? It means that at 2", the image reflected has the same resolution as a mirror. You might still see an image out to 10" but at a lower resolution.

17. SuperDave

Not the way I'd have worded it, but if I'm interpreting it correctly, I agree with you. I use newspaper type readability at distance as my own measurement. 2" of that won't get a PL designation from anyone. 4" might get you PL. Might.

18. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

You mean level, plumb is in & out ......
    Long live the Masons ..............................................

19. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

I prefer garbagepail kids at 10" :p

20160928_091112.jpg

20. SuperDave

Fun, but deceptive, especially in view of NorthKorea's point about resolution. That's why I prefer newspaper type as the litmus test - it reveals the dropoff in resolution far more clearly than other, more colorful reflections. Yes, that coin reflects at 10", but can you still see a 12pt letter clearly?

21. NorthKorea

Ahh, okay. Then there's no chance OP's coin is even semi-PL.

And for the record... some days, I'm not sure I can even read 12 pt font at 2 ft (12" mirrored). ;)

Eaglefawn likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted