Should it be graded, or left alone?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by expat, Jul 11, 2020.

1. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

After dinner last night at Spanish friends house (coin collector), we had agreed to look at a selection of the coins we have, so I took a small selection with me.
    When he saw my 1883cc Morgan he said I should have it graded.
    It is an attributed EDS Vam5 in it's original GSA packaging including the issue certificate.
    What do you think it would grade at? I know she is a bit baggy on the face etc.
    My problem is by having it slabbed you lose some of the history of the circumstances that made these coins available. I know the original packaging etc can be saved. but it just won't feel the same to me.
    20200711_013425 (2).jpg 20200711_013450 (2).jpg DSC00164.jpg DSC00165.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

@expat

Both NGC and PCGS will grade the coin, and it stays in the original GSA case. NGC simply uses a tamper-resistant label that is wrapped around the entire case while PCGS puts the GSA case inside a larger PCGS slab which, in my opinion, doesn't look very good. In both instances, you just submit the slab without the presentation case and COA. ~ Chris

ddddd and Beefer518 like this.
  4. cpm9ball

I forgot to mention.....If you opt for NGC, you can put the slab back in the original presentation case when you get it back. You can't do that with the PCGS slab. ~ Chris

expat likes this.
  5. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Super common date in a super common grade.you won’t gain anything by sending it in. If you are desperate to send it in, go with NGC

6. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

If you have it graded, you are going to get an MS-62 or a 63. Using Grey Sheet prices, an MS-62 is worth $197. An MS-63 is worth $198. There is zero upside to getting it graded.

Its collector value lies in the fact that it is in a GSA holder with the box and certificate. A lot of collectors like that.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
    Dave Waterstraat and ddddd like this.
  7. toned_morgan

toned_morgan Toning Lover

Grey sheet is BS imo. I usually just look at eBay. A quick check on eBay will show that most MS62/63 1883 CC Morgans in the GSA box are at least $230.

8. expat

Thanks Chris, I didn't know you keep it original and it is not re-slabbed

I have no intention to have it graded. I was more interested in if you have to seperate it from it's packaging.
    If a time ever came that i was forced to sell it, I don't think what it is in would make much of a difference

9. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Yes, if you want to pay retail. Maybe things have changed, but when I was going to the shows, you could buy these coins for less than retail. Of course when you sold them, you got about 10% less than Grey Sheet. If you pay $230 +, you will still get less than Grey Sheet.

Given the selling fees that eBay charges, I suppose a dealer has to get $230 to make any money.

toned_morgan likes this.
  10. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Nice but no reason to grade it at all.

11. cpm9ball

I always used Grey Sheet "Bid" when I bought my Morgans, and when I finally sold all of them, about 165 certified, I made a nice profit using a 99c "Open" with no reserve. Yes, use eBay! They always pay too much. ~ Chris;)

12. toned_morgan

toned_morgan Toning Lover

Yeah it goes both ways! You pay more, but you also sell for more

13. Sidney Osborne

Sidney Osborne Well-Known Member

Worth the cost to have her complexion touched up, restored?...since you plan to keep it for a while...

14. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

I am certainly not a Morgan person and have little experience with them, and I know that GSA supposedly got these from storage and put them in presentation kits to sell, but my first "gut" impression is that something is off on this coin. Any experts out there that can verify it is real? Just an observation.

15. expat

Interesting observation, certainly peaks my interest as two well regarded collectors on Vamworld Vammed it for me and had no concerns of it not being genuine

16. cpm9ball

That sounds like sour grapes to me. ~ Chris

17. cpm9ball

If I recall correctly, the GSA sold the CC's in the 70's.

It looks okay to me! ~ Chris

expat likes this.
  18. serdogthehound

serdogthehound Well-Known Member

I agree if you grade go NGC , I also agree that a big part of some of these coins is the original packaging

expat likes this.
  19. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

My vote is leave her alone, she’s great as-is.

expat likes this.
  20. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

Good. Glad to know. Like I said, it was just my first gut reaction.

expat likes this.
  21. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

When I see or hear a comment like that my first thought is always "Why?" I mean you have already bought and paid for it, you own it. So now why run out and give some company $40 for something you already own and have no intention of getting rid of?

expat likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted