Should "In God We Trust" be removed from US Coins & Currency?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by coinzip, Feb 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coinzip

coinzip Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

Nope. It's perfectly fine where it is!

4. AWORDCREATED

AWORDCREATED Hardly Noticeable

Imagine if the entire concept were removed from all society how peaceful the world would be? What would be left to fight and kill for?

5. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

I think this is a subject that is going to cross some lines and cause a lot of fighting...

coinzip, tpsadler and Paul M. like this.
  6. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

Here's all i will say about it: This country was founded on the basis of christianity. Just because there is separation of church and state, doesnt mean the state cant believe in a certain religion. It just means the government cant tell you what to believe. There is a reason Moses and the ten commandments are on the Supreme Court building, it's because our laws came from those handed down by God.

Without religion how would we know wrong from right? Where did our morals and ethics come from? I believe from religion.

I wont argue about it. If you disagree, I dont care, im not going to fight anyone over it and get banned.

rockypa, john59, Chuck47 and 3 others like this.
  7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

8. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

rockypa, Santinidollar, Tater and 2 others like this.
  9. phankins11

phankins11 Well-Known Member

This thread makes me cringe.
    Give yourself some credit man.

10. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

Would your religious convictions change if it were removed? Seems like this thread should be short-lived since no one will change their opinions/convictions either way through this discussion. Hopefully there will be NO disparaging remarks, either.

Santinidollar and coinzip like this.
  11. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

yea i commented on this in an earlier thread and it got moved to some other forum...

coinzip likes this.
  12. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Money? Power? Land?

13. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

Let's make a deal.

Remove the tax exemption status for religious organizations, and I'll be fine to let you keep "In god we trust" on our money. Seems a fair deal.

phankins11, mark_h, cpm9ball and 2 others like this.
  14. coinzip

coinzip Well-Known Member

I read the article and think its odd that the lawsuit is going after both US Coins & US Currency.

I feel combining the 2 is foolish.

Coins are made for the US Government by a US Government agency (US Mint). It would be pretty easy to argue that separation of church and state is clearly violated.

Currency however is made for the Federal Reserve Bank, which happens to be a private company, buy a US Government agency (Bureau of Engraving & Printing). In my opinion there is too much room for passing liability. The BEP can claim we don't own the currency and the Federal Reserve Bank can claim we are not the Government.

phankins11 likes this.
  15. swish513

swish513 Penny & Cent Collector

Water. Clean water. Oops, sorry mods, I just made this political.

NeonBlurb, rooman9 and coinzip like this.
  16. jlogan

jlogan Well-Known Member

It's the national motto, why shouldn't it be on our money?

Whether or not it is on our money likely isn't going to sway anyone's religious beliefs one way or another.

coinzip likes this.
  17. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Just leave the coins alone. A suit like this is accomplishing what it set out to do: just stir people up.

coinzip and jlogan like this.
  18. jlogan

jlogan Well-Known Member

Exactly. This is just a "wedge issue" used to divide people. Whether or not the motto appears on our currency will have little to no effect on our lives, but people have strong opinions about it anyway.

coinzip likes this.
  19. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I'd go one further . . . I don't see it as a wedge issue . . . I view this and other similar efforts as infantile in-your-face expressions of one's desire to be recognized for the controversy he or she can foment . . . more about getting attention, than about dividing the masses . . . unfortunately, the latter is still the end result.

phankins11, coinzip and Santinidollar like this.
  20. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

If it mentioned a specific God yes it would be, not mentioning a specific God though it is not which is how the court has viewed it historically. Separation doesn't mean religion can never be mentioned in anyway, it means that they cannot endorse a specific religion.

Interesting fact as well, if they find it has to be removed from the coin, then the Supreme court itself as well as the vast majority of federal buildings in DC have to be torn down since they all have numerous references to God and bible quotes are part of their designs.

coinzip and steve63 like this.
  21. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

This country was founded on Religious freedom, Not Christianity . As some of the founding fathers had no religious beliefs at all. Yet respected others whom did,as well as those who did respected those whom didn't .

coinzip likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.