Should I save or sell VF/EF/AU Walkers?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Stevearino, Jun 27, 2020.

1. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

Walkers and Mercury dimes have been my favorite coins since I was a youngster and started collecting 60 years ago. As my eyesight has gotten worse the Walkers have clearly (pun intended) become my favorite. Gotta love the bigger dates.

About two or three years ago I bought dozens of rolls of Walkers, looked through them for varieties, and set aside anything VF or better. They just seem too nice to sell for someone to melt. The other day when I was looking for some rolls to sell as silver hit around $18 (and my wife as been STRONGLY encouraging me to reduce my stack ) I found 8 rolls of the VF/EF/AU Walkers.

I'd appreciate any thoughts from you fellow CTers as to what to do with them:
    - Sell them just the way I have been selling rolls of common, circulated Walkers?
    - Try to sell them on CT/eBay for what they are, better examples of circulated halves, either individually or by the roll?
    - Keep them and "forget" to tell my wife I have them stashed away?
    - Something else?

Thank you, in advance, for sharing your thoughts,

Steve

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

If you sell them and make the wife happy that would probably buy you some good will next time there's a bigger ticket coin you want to purchase

If it was me I'd sell them, I generally try not to keep rolls of stuff that I only look at once every several years

4. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

I think ebay would be ok. Or find a way to sell them where people can see what they are...lay them out and take good pics, if others are like me I'd pay a bit more for nice rolls, over VG rolls.

For me though Eagles and modern bullion would be the first to go, they are easy to replace if you have any regrets.

Mountain Man, Stevearino and tibor like this.
  5. QuintupleSovereign

QuintupleSovereign Well-Known Member

If you have a range of dates and mintmarks, perhaps consider selling them as mini-sets of later date Walkers?

6. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

A substantial premium has arisen and disappeared on AU walkers over the years. It exists now but few are paying it. There has been a small premium for XF. I've never seen a premium for VF before but there are buyers now for any nice looking walkers above F and better dates above VG. Coins must but be evenly worn and attractive with little marking.

In the long term barring any massive melting I'd expect the premium for AU's to grow slightly as well as the premium for better or older dates. I have little little respect for the others.

Even AU's are probably a lot more common than most people think.

brokrken, Stevearino and ldhair like this.
  7. Sidney Osborne

Sidney Osborne Well-Known Member

If you have single (unrolled/nonrolled) examples of the various grades, then perhaps post some pictures here for more coin talk response...think about what you would ask also...

8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

First and foremost, discuss this matter with your wife. Personally, I would not sell them at this time. Yes silver is up to $18 or close to it but it's expected to go higher, which it may or may not do. I have tolls that I haven't seen in 15 years but I'll hang onto them.

Why sell now? What do you need the money for? You don't need to tell me but you do need to talk to the wife and ask these and many other questions.

Stevearino likes this.
  9. John Wright

John Wright Well-Known Member

If you like the specific pieces, keep them. If you are in need of immediate ca$h, sell them. Otherwise, no advice.

coinsareus10 and Stevearino like this.
  10. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Life is like a box of chocolates? Good luck

Stevearino likes this.
  11. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

I think you should sell them. I would love to fill my mostly empty album of Walkers and it sound like I might be able to fill many holes with some of the coins you've described, so most collectors just starting out, or becoming interested in Walkers, would be thrilled to have them, me included.

12. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

People have been saying that for literally forever. It was supposed to go higher in the 90s and 2000s and at 40 bucks an ounce. It’s nothing but marketing. Will it probably spike again for a short period decades from now yes, will it be a good investment to hang onto it hoping for that no. All the people pushing the metals will go higher are the same ones trying to sell metals for cash

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
  13. buckeye73

buckeye73 Well-Known Member

Among the Walking Liberty common dates, I generally pull from junk silver boxes at the LCS the dates in VG or better in the teens, F or better in the 20’s, VF or better in the 30’s, and XF or better in the 40’s.
    BTW, I treat dimes and quarters similarly. As usual, I sell those coins in the collection which do not meet that criteria when cash is needed for other coin purchases if the buy price is satisfactory.

Stevearino likes this.
  14. Stevearino

@Collecting Nut, I have no problem stating why my wife wants them sold. We were debt free for a couple of years and then early this year purchased a very small (780 sq. ft.) winter home in AZ. It had become increasingly difficult to find a decent, reasonable place to rent. After having a taste of being debt-free, my wife would like to get there again.

AND, she has always dreaded my kicking the bucket before her and leaving her with stuff she doesn't understand. I have made arrangements in that regard, but she still doesn't want to deal with it.

Thank you, everyone, for chiming in. I appreciate your input.

Steve

15. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Different circumstances but your wife sounds a lot like my wife. She doesn't want to deal with it. Take care and best wishes on your decision. :)

Stevearino likes this.
  16. Silver Bull30

Silver Bull30 New Member

Hey there! I was personally in the same boat and what I did is exactly what you did, separate the ones you think are your choice coins and list them on ebay,esty,coin forums,instagram or whatever your personal favorite platforms. If you do not like sites etc, Try your local coin shop, they may be willing to offer you a bit extra. Option # 3 Keep all of your favs and sell all your cull, slick, cleaned,dinged etc. in lots of $1.00, $5.00 etc face value, its a great way to stretch your dollar/get the most out of per oz. Hope this helps a bit. I encourage if you have the extra funds to talk to your spouse and explain how "paper" or fiat money is failing and gold and silver is TRUE "real" money. Just a suggestion, In no way am I financial advisor nor telling you what to do, just throwing my 2 "cents" hehe (pun-intended). Have a great day.

Stevearino likes this.
  17. coin dog

coin dog Well-Known Member

If you do not have any pressing financial needs, keep them in your perma stack.

My choice:

- Keep them and "forget" to tell your wife that you have them stashed away.

runninghorse1 likes this.
  18. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Hey Stevarino. I TOTALLY get the “large coins coz my eyes are failing” sentiment. I am right there with you.

I started with a large safe in the bedroom. When my hoarding exceeded the capacity of the large safe, I added a medium safe in the bedroom closet. About six months ago I started needing more space and my wife put her foot down. No more safes she tells me. I don’t have the sell gene in my DNA so I my next safe ended up behind my desk in my office..... Where there’s a will, there’s a way!!

Stevearino and runninghorse1 like this.
  19. Stevearino

Hey Randy, do you think your wife would notice if you stuck a few wall safes behind the large pictures on the walls? :rolleyes:

Steve

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  20. brokrken

brokrken Active Member

Steve, I also would be interested if you decide to part with them.

Draft saved Draft deleted