Should I Remove Coin from Inferior Slab?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by 907Novice, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

If you crack it out try to do so as gently as possible and send me the shell, I don't have one of those.

Do you have an image of the back?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Oh, sure, I've cracked a ton of slabs, though it has been a while since I did that. I don't have any handy around here I want crack out right now, so I have not yet been able to add a video or animated GIF to the tutorial thread I did about my very simple technique).

4. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Looks like it could go at least MS-62/63 PL. I’d crack it out and get it graded by PCGS (only because people like Morgans in their holders better).

Did either of you even compare it to the real thing? It looks reasonable to me.

1274A32B-51C2-482A-B719-B9FBB797208D.png

5. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

My first impression was "why it the 7 half again as tall as the other digits?" In the closeups, I can see that it may just be a matter of lighting.

Just to make it even more obvious to anyone reading, I'm not a Morgan expert, and it's often a bad idea to make Morgan decisions based on my advice...

Hookman and lordmarcovan like this.
  6. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

FWIW, if you decide to submit it to NGC they won't even accept it in that slab. I'm sure they do this because people could send anything in and they may not be familiar with how to safely remove the coin. So then you'd have submitters claiming their coin was damaged from being removed form "XYZ" slab. So they just avoid it.

They will only accept NGC and PCGS slabs for a cross over or re-grade consideration. Otherwise it needs to be submitted in a plastic flip like everything else. That label won't influence their decision making on it anyway.

907Novice likes this.
  7. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

1st pic below is date from OP's coin. 2nd pic is from 1878-CC VAM-11 from VAM World at same resolution. What ya think?

Cal

Pic 1:
    1878cc_op.png

Pic 2:
    1878cc_VAM_World.jpg

8. STU

STU Active Member

I don't think its worth regrading take it out of that slab but I am not sure if it is not a counterfeit as that 7 looks off

9. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Notice how the top of the first 8 on the suspect coin is not lit up. That makes the 7 look gigantic next to it. It is just an illusion.

-jeffB likes this.
  10. calcol

If OP (calling @907Novice) could post a pic of the reverse, the VAM attribution could be verified. The reverse of 1878-CC VAM-11 is quite distinctive. This coin is number 20 in the VAM top 100.

Cal

11. 907Novice

907Novice New Member

A couple more pics. I think VAM 11 is correct. 1878-CC VAM 11.PNG 1878-CC.PNG

12. 907Novice

907Novice New Member

One more. Sorry about the resolution. :( 1878-CC VAM 11 close.PNG

calcol likes this.
  13. calcol

Definitely has lines on the wings in the right places. Position and slant of mint mark look right too. I'm not really a VAMer, but looks like VAM-11 to me. This increases the chances it's authentic, but fake 1878-CCs have been discovered. Not sure what VAM, if any. Need to have it looked at coin-to-person by an expert. If you can attend a major show, there are experts who would give an opinion for free; otherwise, it should be NGC or PCGS.

Cal

907Novice likes this.
  14. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

As Jeff mentioned I am not a Morgan expert by any means. The 7 and the 8 looked large to me in the OP and your pictures as well. Could be the lighting and I defer to your expertise.

15. 907Novice

907Novice New Member

Thank you all for your insight and comments. I don't live anywhere close to where there might be major shows but I'll definitely send it in to NGC or PCGS.

16. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I’d crack it. I think it’s real and a decent shot at ms 62/3 pl. I use end cutting pliers to break slabs I’ve done quite a few. I have about every possible tool available as I have a woodworking business

Morgandude11 likes this.
  17. calcol

If you are thinking of NGC, join ANA (money.org) which will get you a free membership in NGC.

Cal

18. fusiafinch

fusiafinch Member

I'm not sure if PCGS or NGC will even crack this out for you, so you need to remove it anyway for grading. On their website, they only crack out coins from established companies.

For what it's worth though, it is a collector's item in the slab. There is a small group of collectors that collect weird and interesting slabs. In fact, this month's Coin World has a cover story on it.

But since this coin lists at $4K in the grade labeled, it might be worth it to see what you actually have. Take it to a dealer and have them help submit it.

Hookman likes this.
  19. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

The date. (7) is fake

20. Cheech9712

Thanks. That is one big ash 7

21. Cheech9712

Draft saved Draft deleted