Should I purchase?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by DISDIK, Jun 1, 2021.

1. DISDIK

DISDIK Member

Hello I have the opportunity to purchase 11 1964 d Kennedy half dollars for 180 is this a smart buy? They are uncirculated btw

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

No, not really. Keep in mind that there are plenty of 64 halves around in uncirculated condition. We had just lost him as a President and it was the last year for silver coinage so many, many folks hoarded them. Quite honestly, an uncirculated 64 JFK half won’t bring much more than melt which is in the $10.00 range right now I believe.

Inspector43, Matthew Kruse and DISDIK like this.
  4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Look at spot pricing today and do the math but to me that’s on the high side. Too many were minted and saved. I just bought a really nice one for an album that I’m working. It cost me less than $16.00 in high grade condition from a dealer. Just too many of them around.

Inspector43 and DISDIK like this.
  5. DISDIK

DISDIK Member

So not even if. I were to. Get them graded?

6. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

No and thats way to high i would pay around $120 a few bucks over melt per coin.

DISDIK likes this.
  7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

They'd all have to grade MS65 just for you to make a minimal profit. It's not worth it.

DISDIK likes this.
  8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Add the grading fees to the cost of each coin and it’s way to high. Time to pass.

DISDIK and Inspector43 like this.
  9. Randy Abercrombie

If I had an offer come to me like that, I would come back and tell him you would offer eighty bucks. If he counters with a hundred, then you have yourself a good deal.

DISDIK, Inspector43 and Kentucky like this.
  10. potty dollar 1878

Good luck under melt but its worth a try.

DISDIK likes this.
  11. Randy Abercrombie

Well, he is dealing with someone that doesn’t know what they have. The overinflated sales offer tells me that.

12. potty dollar 1878

Good point.

DISDIK likes this.
  13. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

A dealer will give you $100 for them. So you're $80 in the hole at the start. Add the grading fees and the listing costs and just understand you're going have to luck out if you're planning on retailing them. If you're planning on collecting them, $180 is on the high side, but at least arrange to see them, first.

John Burgess and DISDIK like this.
  14. DISDIK

DISDIK Member

Thanyou everyone... definitely going to pass!

15. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

agree with eddiespin, IF you bought them and sold them, a dealer would give you around $100 today for them, therefore, you should offer lower than that and tell him you don't want to sit on them and just cash it in for melt if you did take them, so it's the best you can do because you need to make a couple bucks also or it's not worth your effort to do it.

either they will take it or they will go to a dealer themselves, but you aren't working for free or at a loss.

It's easily understandable for most people to grasp this concept and make their decision whether to sell to you for $80 or $90, or take it to a dealer for $100-$110.

If he wants to be a bullion dealer, he's going to the wrong guy. APMEX sells a BU 1964 kennedy half for $24.99, he's asking $18.00 thinking it's a good deal, it's not a good deal at either price as both are retail one with a high premium on it, they are worth about $10 each melt at the moment ungraded. and that $10 each today could change either way tomorrow or next week.

I'm not saying pass, just lay it out there and see if he will want to sell it to you, any opportunity shouldn't be passed on, you just need to know how to handle it is all in order to not lose on it and if he's not agreeable to your offer and why, then pass on it.

worst case, he decides he makes an extra $10 or $20 taking it to a dealer himself. Nobody is gonna give him BU prices for it raw.

DISDIK likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted