Should I pay this guy on eBay?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by JCB1983, May 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LindeDad

LindeDad His Walker.

Thanks for renewing my faith in people. Have more respect for the OP now than some that replied.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jjack

jjack Captain Obvious

Hmm if i recall correctly listing fees are already invoiced and he cannot get the money back when re lists the item. He has to go thru the process of failing an unpaid claim to get the $$ back.

4. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

If the transaction is cancelled by the seller and the buyer agrees with the cancellation then E-Bay will refund the seller both the listing fee and the final value fee.

5. Nicely done. TC

I made that brief just for Ken (green18). :smile

Jason (FWIW): Tell your MD what happened with the Ambien. There are alternatives. :smile. TC

6. camlov2

camlov2 Member

Good decision, hope you are able to get your money out of it (or like it enough to keep it in your collection).

7. Jim M

Jim M Ride it like ya stole it

I am a little late to this party but here is how I would of handled this were this to happen to me. I would email the seller and say, this is what happened. I am going to pay for the item because it was my mistake. Can you provide me with the next highest bidder info so that I can offer the item to them for their bid? Thank you.. etc... etc... etc...

8. rodeoclown

rodeoclown Dodging Bulls

Actually, the proper thing to do if that was the action you wanted to take as the buyer is to contact the seller and ask him to contact the next highest bidder to find out if they'd want to buy the item from you first, before any details are given out. Some buyers don't want unsolicited emails, even if they bid on them. I know I don't want sellers just handing out my information to others without my actual consent. ;)

9. AngelKitty

AngelKitty Sparkles *n* Cats

Honorable move, and glad to hear you're not upset by everyone blaming you personally for your sleepwalking antics. Like I said I wouldn't have blamed you a bit if you hadn't.

I'm honestly very confused by everyone saying someone's "responsible for their actions" while they're sleepwalking, medication-induced or not. If this has been regular sleepwalking and there was no medication involved, would you say the same? If your child sleepwalks and mistakes the sofa for a toilet in their stupor, do you blame them for it and make them buy a new chair with their allowance because "if there's no consequences they'll do it again and they need to learn personal accountability?" Especially if it's the first time they've done it? It's not like sleep-bidding is a regular occurrence that he allows to happen because "oh I can just cancel the bids."

Also, I'm completely confused by the folks comparing killing people while drunk driving to bidding on ebay while sleepwalking. One is done consciously with an altered perception while on a drug you chose to take (which is why one would be held accountable) and results in the ending of a life (a very serious thing). The other is done subconsciously while on a prescription medication (and yes, there is a difference between prescription meds you need to be able to sleep, and alcohol - if you can't see that I can't help you) and results in some butthurt on the part of the seller and/or wallethurt on the part of the buyer (neither of which should cause grievous harm to anyone). These issues aren't black and white, and comparing the two is, IMO, silly.

10. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

They don't seem, or want, to understand that certain drugs that can alter the thinking or impair one's judgement and in most cases can render the individual incapable of making sound decisions.

11. Louie_Two_Bits

Louie_Two_Bits Chump for Change

Absolutely. Take the necessary steps while you're conscious to ensure your unconscious actions don't harm or negatively affect yourself or others.

I think the analogy is sound. Then to level the outcomes, change killing someone while driving drunk to running into someone's property causing a few hundred dollars worth of damage while drunk. And just because you're so drunk and don't remember any of it, or even if you were sleepwalking; you would still be held accountable for your actions. It's unlikely the property owner would give a person a pass and foot the bill themselves because somebody drove their car into his yard while asleep behind the wheel; I know I wouldn't.

The bottom line is that both alcohol and prescription meds are substances that you chose to take. And both can cause you to do subconscious actions (blacking-out and not remembering what you did the previous night for alcohol and sleepwalking for meds).

Just as many that cannot sleep regular hours need meds to assist them, many alcoholics need alcohol to function and can get very sick from withdraws if they don't have it.

My point circles back to the first sentence.

-LTB

12. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I really believe you did the right thing. If you truly don't want it, I'm sure you can resell it for all or nearly all you paid for it. I look forward to seeing the photos.

13. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

Sure did. Only worth a snicker, not a belly laugh, but that's just my somewhat jaded reaction - other people's may differ.

14. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

HA! That's funny right there! Thanks for that word; I like it and will use it in future.

15. Porsche2007

Porsche2007 Senior Member

Unless another soul inhabited his physical body, he is responsible for his actions.

Who forced him the deglutition?

You did well.

16. omahaorange

omahaorange Active Member

I understand this. What I don't get is someone taking a drug without understanding the effects and adverse reactions before taking it. There is a responsibity on the taker's part to understand these actions. An if a medication affects one adversely, is it not responsible to quit taking it and consult your doctor?

17. omahaorange

omahaorange Active Member

You're confusing responsibility with blame. You're off when you compare children to adults. An adult should know what happens (or what may happen). He should have read the leaflet with the product information before he took the med. He should have quit taking the med and called his doctor. Again, as an anonymous seller, this is going to look like a far-fetched excuse to get out paying the bid. Nothing more, nothing less.

While not as drastic as taking a life, both situations you cite involve voluntarily taking the substance and knowing the effects, one by peer advice and the other by the doctor, but nobody forces the Ambien down his throat. Again, criminal charges may not be likely in the second case, but civil action is a distinct possibility.

18. Blaubart

Blaubart Melt Value = 4.50

You did the right thing.

+1 Rep Point (Too bad we don't have a rep points system here)

19. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

This is true to a certain degree...but you never know how a drug will affect you until you take it. I have prescribed a number of medications that can cause cogitative problems...and it is amazing how some people have absolutely no problems and others have nothing but problems. That is why I always warn them of the possible side effects and tell them they need to be careful and monitor themselves until they know how it is going to affect them.

20. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

You did the right move. Worse comes to worse you could always try to sell it if you really don't want it. Even if you lose a bit of money its a lesson learned for the future.

21. AdamL

AdamL Well-Known Member

Ambien caused problems for me. I take lunesta, with no problems. The doctors told me that if I didn't like ambien, I wouldn't like Lunesta, cuz its pretty much the same. The doctors were wrong.
    Anyway, I'd pay the guy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.