Should I pay this guy on eBay?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by JCB1983, May 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mackwork

mackwork Caretaker of old coins & currency

I agree.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Member

It sounds like you've already contacted the sellers to explain your situation. That's the first step I would have taken were I in your shoes.

Two were understanding and allowed you to opt out given the circumstances. One is not so understanding, which is his prerogative given the terms and conditions spelled out in the eBay policies that you both agreed to abide by when you signed up for your respective eBay accounts.

If I were in your shoes, I would pay that seller. And then I would take action to ensure I could not engage in "sleep walk bidding" in the future.

4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

That's very generous of you TC. I'm sure Jason will adore your kind gesture........:)

5. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Honor your contract and pay the seller. Then resell the item--that is the honorable thing to do. I understand your affliction, and you should make sure that you log off of your computer when you go to sleep to prevent this from happening again. .

6. Copper Head

Copper Head Active Member

You should have closed your account if you didn't plan on being responsible for your actions while you used it. If it were me, I'd pay him and make sure it didn't happen again.

7. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I don't feel it's right to even ask the seller to clean up the mess.

8. omahaorange

omahaorange Active Member

Okay, I'll stir the pot a bit, simply because of some of the responses. Let me qualify this by saying I have been taking Ambien (along with other medications) for several years, and have never had anything like this happen to me (at least, not that I'm aware of). Not saying it didn't affect you in this way, but the vast majority of people who take the drug have no side effects.

Being medicated does not absolve you of anything. You are still responsible for your actions while under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Hence the warning labels that adorn the packaging. Try to get out of a crash by saying you were drunk, or taking a cold medicine. It is the same thing. You may sometimes avoid criminal charges, but the civic court ramifications (somebody WILL sue you) will still be there.

So pay the bill and take it as a lesson learned if this was the first time you took the medication. If it's not the first time, and you know you have reactions similar to this one, then you should have taken better precautions. I just find it hard to believe this actually happened.

Sorry to be so blunt, but I read thread upon thread about how somebody says "I won this eBay auction, but I don't (want it, accidently bid, somebody hacked my account, insert other excuse) want to pay".

9. rodeoclown

rodeoclown Dodging Bulls

There have been cases where people sleep walked, killed someone and were held accountable (went to jail for a long time), so yes, you are still accountable to pay this guy.

My only advice is, unplug your internet modem (hide the power cord or ethernet cable somewhere) before going to bed if you feel it might happen again in your sleep, might prevent you from getting online when you're unaware in the future.

10. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

I suggest you talk to your doctor about possibly switching medications. IMO, any medication that can cause people to get up and do things that they wouldn't do in their right mind is not a medication that should be taken by that person. But that is my own opinion. It is not a doctor's opinion, which you need to seek.

Not everyone reacts the same to all medications. There probably are some who can take Ambien and do fine, without sleepwalking, and sleepdriving, etc. But there are so many stories of that drug causing people to do things and be totally unaware of themselves doing them, and I feel for both sides. The person is unaware, and possibly shouldn't be responsible, but any actions that others experience from that are generally wanted to have someone held responsible, mainly if they are huge actions, like something that would cause someone to be hurt physically or lose their life. It's a tricky thing to say, simply because medical advice has to be done by a doctor, but doctor's don't want to be responsible for their patient's actions when on a prescribed medication. Maybe a doctor can't pinpoint when a drug will cause side effects in that person, but you as the patient have to weigh the hazards to the benefits for your own. The doctors (who are not responsible for your actions on a medication) won't do that; they will simply say, well, this is helping you on this (the reason you went on that medication).

11. vonde87

vonde87 New Member

Wow some sunglasses of you are being a little harsh and don't know much about contracts because first thing you are taught in business law even in the high school version is you cant be held liable for signing something under the influence and yes it is different from driving and killing someone to act like they are one in the same is crazy.
    That being said I would still pay it if i were the op just to make things easier on you than having a negative transaction and be happy it wasn't a 10k note:).

12. Louie_Two_Bits

Louie_Two_Bits Chump for Change

There are many great suggestions on how to prevent this from happening in the future. But IMO all of this needs to be done AFTER you pay for the item(s) you purchased.

You have to understand where the seller is coming from though...it sounds like another case of buyer's remorse. If I were the seller I would have a very hard time believing the buyer when trying to back out of a purchase because the buyer claims he was sleepbidding.

But as others have said, you need to be responsible for your actions.

-LTB

13. Duwammer

Duwammer Junior Member

What if the rolls were switched around. The seller was on (Ambien) and really screwed up and didn't realize that he had posted the note for sale and you had the winning bid.

Now, he contacts you and gives you the same explanation that you're wanting everyone to swallow.

You won the bid and really want the note bad. Are you going to believe him and tell him ****............don't worry about.

Come on........you admit that you won 2 other auctions that didn't seem to faze you. You're actually cool with the other 2 auctions, probably because they weren't 200.00 bids.

So..............if you had gotten the 1928 20 dollar bill for 21.00 I'm guessing that you probably wouldn't be trying to back out of the deal now would ya.

Simply amazing.................

14. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

As a buyer, you can not be given negative feedback. However, you can be charged (as previously stated) with a non-paying bidder transaction (which does have negative ramifications).

15. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

I agree. I find it hard to believe that you can take this medication, then not remember logging on to eBay, finding three auctions that interest you, and placing bids; I have a hard time doing all that while alert and sober.

16. Taxidermist

Taxidermist Collector of US/IL/RU/DE

This is not a usual buyer's remorse situation, there is a medical condition that caused this, so it should be treated differently, IMHO. It is hard to prove that this is indeed the case, but nevertheless.

@Duwammer: Imagine this situation outside of eBay, in the real world. Lets say you are a shop owner/dealer and a somnambulist walks into your store. He grabs a couple of $1 items, slaps his wallet full of $100 bills across the counter, says "This is for you, thanks a lot" and walks out, all this without realizing what did he buy and how much did he pay for it. Would you feel alright keeping his money?

17. rodeoclown

rodeoclown Dodging Bulls

The seller didn't ask a person taking medication who claims they sleep walk to buy their items, so yes, the buyer is responsible for their actions. It is the same terminology as if he was a drunk driver who went driving under the influence and hit another car, killing them or not. People should be held responsible for their own actions. If they think they'll do things they wouldn't normally do while under the influence of prescribed drugs, alcohol or anything else, then they should take the proper measures to prevent themselves from doing such things.

I'm not trying to be harsh, mean or out of line, I'm just tired of people in the world trying to blame someone or something else for their own actions. It's called personal accountability. It's better the OP has to pay for something he might not of paid for while sober or awake, rather than him jumping in his car and potentially injuring or killing someone.

18. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

I can tell you from experience that people can sleep walk, sleep talk, eat, drive, etc. It's a lot more common than you may think.

Sleepwalkers arise from the slow wave sleep stage in a state of low consciousness and perform activities that are usually performed during a state of full consciousness. These activities can be as benign as sitting up in bed, walking to the bathroom, and cleaning, or as hazardous as cooking, driving, having sex,violent gestures, grabbing at hallucinated objects, or even homicide.

Some medications that may increase sleepwalking include: chlorpromazine(Thorazine), perphenazine (Trilafon), lithium, benzodiazepine (Triazolam), amitriptyline (Elavel, Endep), zolpidem (Ambien) and beta blockers.
    -Wikipedia.

19. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

Why do people like you have to pick on people who have have been here a long time? JCB is a very nice person and shares a lot of cool and interesting things on CT.

Did you have anything helpful or informational to add to this thread, or did you just want to flame?:rolleyes:

20. vonde87

vonde87 New Member

But if he went and bought a car or got married and signed a contract under influence which is a lot closer to what he did than crash a car he wouldn't be liable. Just not worth the hassle to try and prove it on an item of low cost.

21. Louie_Two_Bits

Louie_Two_Bits Chump for Change

Never wake a sleepwalker...

[video=youtube;VpIKX8VIaT8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpIKX8VIaT8[/video]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.