Should I open this 1971 Uncirculated P & D coin set?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Teddydogno1, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Teddydogno1

Teddydogno1 Well-Known Member

Picked this up recently. It is sealed. Should I open it? are there any possible errors or rarities to be found?

1971-unc-PD-set.jpg

Rob

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Galen59

Galen59 Gott helfe mir

never been opened?

4. pennsteve

pennsteve Well-Known Member

5. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

I guarantee it's been opened. Someone has definitely peeked. The mint sent these out unsealed.

swamp yankee, Jwt708 and Blissskr like this.
  6. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Kennedy 1971-D DDO-004

1971-D DDO-004 FS-101 26591139_32052363_max We Trust.jpg

Kennedy 1971-D DDO-006

1971-D DDO-006 FS-102 27756701_37882363_max We Trust.jpg

Kennedy 1971-D DDO-007
    Kennedy 1971-D DDO-008

Kennedy DDO-008 006.JPG

Kennedy DDO-008 005.JPG

Kennedy 1971-D DDO-013
    Kennedy 1971-D DDO-014
    Kennedy 1971-D DDO-017
    Kennedy 1971-D DDR-002

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
    swamp yankee likes this.
  7. 19Lyds

8. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

The envelope has no value at the current time. If these ever have value the glued ones willbe worth less because it is PMD. I would carefully cut the top. If you're concerned about it being damaged it should be easy now to get a new one in pristine condition.

The only reason to open it is if you care about the coins. Sometimes the coins in this set are simply spectacular but most sets will have only a couple coins in them that are so so or better. The '71-D dime, quarter and half are usually the nicest.

The most difficult to find Gem in the set is the Philly quarter followed by the Philly dime. The cents are typically bad but nice ones are fairly common. Gems are tough.

Good luck.

9. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

No bloody such thing as a sealed set........open it up.

Jwt708 and Paddy54 like this.
  10. pennsteve

pennsteve Well-Known Member

Why can't one be found in a mint set?

NOS likes this.
  11. 19Lyds

Because none have ever been found in Mint Sets over the 44 years and with that amount of doubling, if they "were" in mint sets, they'd have been reported by now.

The odds would be 1 in a million.

The Variety Vista reports only 1 DDO Lincoln for the years 1964 thru 2003. A 1970-D DDO-001.

NOS likes this.
  12. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

yup

13. 19Lyds

Quite True but the envelopes did have adhesive on the flaps and depending upon how they were stored, it is possible that the sets "Self Sealed" such as the box of 1965 SMS Sets I've purchased over the years in sealed US Mint Shipping boxes.

Besides, not everybody views a US Mint Set the same way. I purchased a 1971 US Mint Set with each coin in a Capital Plastics holder and the 71-D Kennedy was a visible DDO-008. I was tickled.

1970 was a much bigger year for Doubled Die coins in US Mint Sets represented by the sole Lincoln, various DDR Washington Quarters (DDR-001, DDR-002, DDR-004) and a slug of Kennedy's with DDR-001 thru DDR-009.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  14. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

19Lyds got it right but it needs clarification.

Mint set dies and circulation dies are distinct populations. Mint sets are specially prepared and this starts at the die stage. While the dies may not differ much in all cases each year they are still separate groups of dies. No circulation die will be used to strike mint sets but some mint set dies will be used to strike circulation issues. Since we're talking about die varieties here there is almost no chance that a variety made for circulation will show upin mint sets. It can work the other way around though and the '70-S sm dt cent may be an example of a coin struck from retired mint set dies for circulation. If a die doesn't appear in a large group of mint sets then there's almost no chance it will appear in an even larger group. If you find one variety in a mint set then there will be many more. Perhaps one of the scarcest varities is the '81-P type "c" reverse quarter that appears in about every 160th set. Most mint set varieties are more common with the sm dt cent appearing in 10% of sets.

19Lyds and green18 like this.
  15. 19Lyds

Not to mention the fact that literally thousands of different dies are used in a production run and generally speaking, distributions can be very localized.
    What this means is that when a certain variety shows up in a specific location, the odds are extremely strong that the variety may not be found anywhere else.

Look at the 2009 DDR Coins and how well they've been mapped as to what variety exists in what box?

Look at the distribution of Wisconsin Extra Leaf quarters? All in New Mexico with a scattering in Texas. Zero on the East Coast.

Look at the distribution of the Missing Edge Lettering Washington Dollars. Central Florida primarily with a smattering in other locations "On the East Coast".

16. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

What most people don't know is that this same thing appeared in the distribution of mint sets up through the '70's because orders were filled by zip code. There was a strong tendency for varieties and Gems to appear in the same city.

17. onecenter

onecenter Member

Please open the envelope. There are nice coins inside. Enjoy them.

swamp yankee likes this.
  18. Teddydogno1

Teddydogno1 Well-Known Member

I have opened the envelope. The Cents looks good, but none of the others jumped out at me. I have not yet looked at them with magnification to check for varieties.

Rob

swamp yankee likes this.
  19. NorthKorea

NorthKorea Dealer Member is a made up title...

I just found a DDO 008 (or whichever one has the exaggerated E in LIBERTY). Thanks Lyds. Ironically, this was a "free" set. :D I won it off eBay for less than face...

Edit: Grrr... NVM. ALL Kennedy coins seem to have the exaggerated E.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  20. NorthKorea

NorthKorea Dealer Member is a made up title...

Anyway, here's the obv/rev of my stupid Kennedy:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

swamp yankee, Naplesjack and green18 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted