should I keep all $1 star notes I find?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Wheatie44, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Dollarsavr

Dollarsavr Question everything...

What is Photo-Bucket?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dollarsavr

Thanks... I will try this later today after I locate the notes to scan...

4. Dollarsavr

Hi again.

I have gone through most of my $1 Star - Error notes and selected 20 to scan. I will place them 4-notes per scan page (Faces only) and do 5 pages... I will also create an Excel-chart with a complete description for each of the notes.
    This will take me some time to accomplish, so please come back here to this thread in five to ten-days. Thanks for your patience.

5. ACoinJob

ACoinJob There are still some out there to be had.

I have 2 kinds of scanners, and a stereo-microscope, and also a few various cameras, there's 8.1 mega-pixel, and an HD camera. Depends on your skill level, you can edit scans of 600 dpi from a flatbed scanner. But if coins in slabs don't come in readily on flatbed scanners, there's an OCR scanner. If the OCR scanner don't scan it, you can use a Plano Convex lens over the scanner portal, and a bi-convex lens over the coin in the holders, seems to work for me, if you choose a scanner for detailed coins. Ofcourse the 8.1 mega-pixel cam works great if you get up close shots over the eye-piece of any handy microscopes, including stereo microscope. It's not at all difficult, but mostly "Trial & Error" until you get comfy with some. Editing in windows Paintbrush, or GIMP if running Linux is fine.

6. Dollarsavr

I am 80 and do not plan to own or use much more than I already have...

7. Dollarsavr

I would like to take this opportunity to share my surprise, shock, and extreme pleasure for the recognition I have just received. I opened today's mail and found; a Gold - Medal reading "Society of Paper Money Collectors Literary Award, First Place, 2016". This was for the words that I placed in an article submitted for the "SPMC Paper Money Journal".

Thank you all for understanding my love for syngraphics and the need to share my findings and awareness with others.

Ed Zegers
    SPMC #2676

Paper Money Vol LV, No.4 - Whole No.304 - July/August 2016 (Page 268)

8. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Congratulations Ed !

9. clayirving

clayirving Supporter**

Congratulations! That's quite an award.

10. NAVY CHIEF

NAVY CHIEF Active Member

MOVING FEB 2018 SENIOR APARTMENT. PACKING MY COLLECTABLES AND FOUND LOCATION OF MY STAR NOTES. IN THE PAST I WENT TO THE BANK TO GET A PACK OF $5.00 NOTES - EVERY ONE OF THE NOTES WERE STAR NOTES CRISP UNC.

Attached Files:

11. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Photobucket is a picture hosting website that allows you to take and upload pictures
    to this site you can also use image shack just go to there website.

12. Josh spears

Josh spears New Member

I never thought much about star note tikk last week I decided to start saving. Making random trips to gas station to bust bigger bills for smaller an visevera. In total I got five star notes without 4 days. Also seems as if this same gas station busted open old rows if wheat pennies and slight over cut looking dimes making one side look a little longer than other . Along with this 5 dollar over ink I believe.I don't know how I'd figure out if is or not. Hoping that maybe I finally found a steak of luck in my life?

13. TheMont

TheMont Well-Known Member

I keep all the star notes as long as they are near crisp to crisp condition. I also keep radar and repeater notes in any but the worst condition. I got a call from my bank, they 20180807_151618.jpg had several star notes, 15 consecutive serial number $2 bills and the odd bill I'm adding to this post.

ACoinJob, NOS, Endeavor and 1 other person like this.
  14. SteveInTampa

15. Mmario

Mmario New Member

I have a 2009 J* not a 2013 sorry

16. JR Sanchez

JR Sanchez New Member

i Have a lot of star notes and want to sell them. I new to collecting this stuff so I don’t know who much they go for but if you would like to see them I’d be happy to send u pics or whatever’s easier for u

17. warrrn

warrrn New Member

i have a 50 dollar sheet star note

18. SteveInTampa

Are you able to post a photo, or at least give us the series and serial number along with the approximate condition.

19. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Just because its a star note, doesnt make it more valuable, needs to have
    something else going for for the $$$

20. SteveInTampa

I keep all of the $1 star notes I find in circulation. I have over 100 of them from my last count.
    E410183B-EE12-47F6-BEE9-2433C06414A7.jpeg

707 likes this.
  21. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

I save all "Stars" no matter of value or condition. The fact is, what is the survival rate of any series? One spent today could be the one you wish you kept. Just as when you did not keep the silver coins when you could get them at face. You do know that they plan on not making any "Stars". They plan on running some at the end of the runs to make up for the defects/losses. This means you will have broken runs of the series. Just enjoy the hobby.

707 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted