Should I keep a 1981 5 dollar bill?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Wheatie44, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Wheatie44

Wheatie44 Active Member

i know nothing about paper money and I found that bill, it has a couple of folds. Should I keep it?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

Not at all my area but I'm sure the experts will want pictures. I doubt if it carries much premium unless it has a special serial number or is from a short print run.

4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Yes.. Keep it in your wallet until you need to spend it! :wacky:

5. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

You can always get a top o the line museum grade holder & put it in a big custom frame. That way you can say ya got money just hangin around. o_O

Clawcoins likes this.
  6. paddyman98

All kidding aside now..
    Any more info would help in determining the value.
    Such as the signatures. Is it Buchanan-Regan or Ortega-Regan? What Letter is on the Federal Reserve Seal?

7. Wheatie44

Wheatie44 Active Member

It is Buchanan, and the letter is C, made in Philadelphia.

paddyman98 likes this.
  8. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

The question is vague at best.

edited to add; Sorry @Wheatie44 if this seems harsh, but it's virtually impossible for anyone to give you usable advise without more information, and preferably, a photo or scan of the note in question.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
  9. paddyman98

With a few folds you say. I don't have my paper value book with me at work but the average was $7.00 for your bill.

10. Mad Stax

Mad Stax Well-Known Member

I doubt it's worth any more than face, admittedly I don't know much about paper money, but I have a $10 star note from 1950 that I've researched and it carries no premium over face value, from the limited research I've done I think most of the premiums come with rare errors, star notes with low runs, or select pre50s bills

11. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

12. SeberHusky

SeberHusky Member

I just found a 1981A $5 note in my change (Ortega-Regan). Crumpled and folded many times, but I am definitely keeping it and it's going in my collection. The last time I got a 1980's banknote was 2 years ago. In this day and age where everyone uses credit and debit cards, it's harder and harder to come across any paper money older than 2006.

This is why you see schools arresting kids for counterfeiting when they pay for a school lunch with a 1950's red seal $1 bill. People aren't used to seeing old money anymore.

13. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

There are no 1950's red seal $1 dollar bills.
    It was a $2 bill.
    I have a few 5's I can't bring myself to spend.
    2 are almost low serials 00008500 and 00005428 and I recently got a nice condition small head.
    007.JPG

14. SeberHusky

SeberHusky Member

Yes, that is the one I was thinking of. It was in a news story a few years ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted