Should I Insure my package 100 %?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by xGAJx, May 23, 2014.

1. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

The USPS pays out claims for coins, but the ebay printout may direct you to a default policy that does not cover coins. Read the USPS Domestic Mail Manual section 609.4.1 for the relevant policy.

Regardless, your shipping methods and coverage should have been worked out prior to the sale.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. xGAJx

xGAJx Happy

It was my first ebay sale, and I was unprepared I admit. But the shipping I settled prior. Just not the coverage.

4. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

What you sell

Sent from my C6522N using Tapatalk

5. xGAJx

xGAJx Happy

6. sodude

sodude Well-Known Member

I never insure packages. They hardly ever go missing.

7. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

I seldom insure my mailings. I will ask for a signature but unless it's a coin that is worth more than $500 it's gonna be sent out without insurance. that's just me cause I used to insure but I started to begin it was a waste of money. If you can get tracking for free and require a signature for another $2 or so that's enough.

8. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

Pokémon cards are after my time, but I imagine these are about the size and weight of traditional baseball cards. It was good you went with the flat rate Priority box, but now I guess the question is would you insure it or not. Truly, go with what makes you most comfortable. For some folks this would be full insurance while for others they would play the averages and save some money. Good luck.

9. xGAJx

xGAJx Happy

I just shipped it out about 3 hours ago, since I'm still making a decent $ 70 after all is said and done, I decided not to risk it, bought the insurance, and signature confirmation. I also heeded the earlier member's advice, and wrote with a black sharpie "Do NOT FORWARD" In most areas of the box. After all of that, It costed me an additional 2.40 mainly because I didn't print the shipping label from eBay for the 9 % discount, only because the post office was about to close, and If I wanted to ship it by Tuesday, I had to do it. And, It was well worth not stressing over later.
    Thanks for all the advice, everyone!

10. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I have filed claims with the USPS for lost gold coins several times, and been reimbursed every time (although their estimate of collectible value was ridiculously low on one of those occasions).

I have never . . . not once shipped with eBay labels, and would not do so. eBay changes their T&C so frequently, and makes it so hard to find the changes when they do, that I minimize my risk by depending on them only for things I cannot do some other way.

11. Troodon

Troodon Coin Collector

Sounds like a losing proposition unless you already made enough of a profit on the item to more than cover those costs.

But you are right about one thing that a lot of people don't realize; insurance is meant to protect the person sending an item, not the person receiving it. If the buyer never receives the item it's on the seller to provide a full refund and it would be the seller that would be out the value of the item, not the buyer (in theory, and according to eBay's policies).

eBay's policies still heavily favor the buyer, though they're not quite as bad as they used to be.

Draft saved Draft deleted