Should I Have This 1909 S V.D.B. Graded Before I Sale To An Offer Of $8000.00

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by 213sarah, Jun 7, 2011.

1. 213sarah

213sarah Member

!B3ttj!wBGk~$(KGrHqYOKk!EyRj-U9sUBMnPi9Ht4Q~~_12.jpg !B3ttpkg!Wk~$(KGrHqYOKjgEyPu),6ZlBMnPjLwzww~~_12.jpg thanks! 213sarah.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

It appears to be in a slab already...

4. 213sarah

213sarah Member

no, just a air tight display case, bought at local coin dealer. this is what i should do, they said. i'm afraid to mail it in for grading. 213sarah

5. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

The fact that's not already in a slab and came from a dealer makes me a little suspicious... If you're telling the truth.

I think it's in a slab, you can see the corners with that clouded plastic that PCGS slabs have. Airtites don't have that.

6. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

OP said "air tight", not "Airtite".
    I suspect it's in one of those slab "look-alike" holder that you can buy.

But to answer the OP's question, YES, get the coin slabbed before you try to sell it.
    That will save you a WHOLE bunch of grief further down the line.

7. 213sarah

213sarah Member

!B3ttu9Q!2k~$(KGrHqUOKiUEyZBdWQFHBMnPjYJUqg~~_12.jpg
    Your good! This was graded. My dad gave this to me on my 30th. B-Day. 213sarah

8. lkeigwin

lkeigwin Well-Known Member

I'm confused.

You said it is not in a proper slab from, let's say, PCGS or NGC. You bought it from a dealer that way. This same dealer is telling you to get it professionally graded before you sell it. You have an offer of $8,000. And you want to know if you should get it graded before you sell it to the guy offering you $8,000. Is that right?

When did you buy it? Won't the dealer buy it back? Or is the dealer the one offering you $8,000?

Don't worry about mailing it. A lot more expensive coins that yours are mailed every day. Just buy insurance and use "registered mail".
    Lance.

9. lkeigwin

lkeigwin Well-Known Member

What's your game?

That's worth a lot more than $8,000. Probably twice that.
    Lance.

10. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

OP certainly has me confused now.

11. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

213 sarah, it is a beautiful coin, but why come on here and have all of this deception? How are we to trust anything you post now? I don't understand. Do you want to comment?

12. 213sarah

213sarah Member

I'm very sorry! That was not my intent. I really don't know how much this is worth? This is what happen. Some guy, Said! This is not a real grade on this coin, it's too high of a grade! They don't exsist! But, he would take it off my hands for $8000.00 and he would take the risk of the loss in money.
    So, I posted it here! To get some input, and not show the grade. As it turns out, I shouldn't have done this. I was just experimenting? I believe this coin, is what it is! I also believe the guy was tring to rip me off!
    I posted, just the photos of the coin with no grade, then, added the grade. Just to find justice! Once again, I'm so sorry! To everyone here at CoinTalk. May I ask? At $8000 would this be a true offer? or is it worth more? 213sarah.

13. Shoewrecky

Shoewrecky Coin Hoarder

Sarah,
    That coin dealer was trying to rip you off. If it were me, I would get that coin insured too.
    In 2007-2011 on Ha.com an MS66 RED sold for $11.5-25K (each year varied..some years more/less than other years.)
    In 2005-2006 an MS67 sold for $77 - $97K.

You have a coin that is inbetween a 66 and 67. Next time you should state "guess the grade" or is the coin slabbed or airtite..I dunno something along those lines.

14. fiestycocatoo

fiestycocatoo New Member

Any coin is only worth as much as a buyer is prepared to pay for it. As for this coin I have seen a 1909S-VDB MS 66 RD sell for between $4,000 & $6,000 depending on what the buyer has in their collection and if they can improve or add to that collection and of course how deep their pocket's are. I do agree with bobbeth87 about your method of trying to find out about this coin, this is not the only one out there and there are far better one's to be had if you are willing to pay the price.

15. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

That picture of a PCGS insert does not look like a genuine one to me. It looks funky... look at the shape of the +.

16. Harpo

Harpo Missing in Action

A 1909-S VDB graded MS-66 RD by PCGS and the dealer questions it? I would check with other dealers for opinions. PCGS is the top tier of 3rd Party Grading (TPG).

17. Merc Crazy

What's the cert number? The barcode and number under the grade?

I agree, but I haven't seen any counterfeit Secure Plus slabs yet.

18. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

agreed. Show us the PCGS #!

19. Harpo

Harpo Missing in Action

Here's what a Secure Slab should look like:

2010325_1909-S-VDB-cent-MS66RD-PCGS-Secure-Plus.jpg

20. Merc Crazy

So if the above post is correct, the + and the RD are switched... counterfeit slab and likely a counterfeit coin.

Interesting development.

21. 213sarah

213sarah Member

!B3ttu9Q!2k~$(KGrHqUOKiUEyZBdWQFHBMnPjYJUqg~~_12.jpg !B3tt1FwBWk~$(KGrHqQOKiYEyCb6uBvZBMnPjlOBMQ~~_12.jpg
    Here it is! Is it Fake? 213sarah

Draft saved Draft deleted