Should I have my coins graded?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Gnobodyuknow, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Gnobodyuknow

Gnobodyuknow New Member

Hello All,

I am veery new to coin roll hunting and collecting of US currency. I have a decent collection of challenge coins and specialty coins I have been building for about 30 years now and it is very small. I wasn't really actively collecting just picking up a coin here and there or earning coins as the opportunity came along.

I have recently though been watching a lot more Youtube videos by JBCOINSINC, Quins Coins, and Pams Coins and have started to take a much more active and now addicting interest in this hobby. Recently after watching a couple of videos I have searched through my coins and found, what I think, may be a few gems.

1919s Wheat Cent in decent condition
    1982d Washington Quarter in ok condition
    1958d Wheat Cent in good condition with some toning
    1943 Steel Wheat Cent in amazing condition
    1977s Proof Half-Dollar in amazing condition

My biggest question is are any of these really worth having graded? I don't want to bother with the $200+ dollar grading fees from NGC if it isn't really worth it. Should I take these into a Numismatist and have them take a look first? I live around DFW, can anyone suggest one?

Thank you for your time.

Attached Files:

Ima Dragon and eddiespin like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

No.

remember, "amazing condition" is your perception of it's "quality". Which may not be even close to an actual grade.

which you may want to check your "grading skill" compared to this website
    https://www.pcgs.com/photograde#/Kennedy/Grades

4. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

No, grading should only be done if you know what the grade will be and if you know the value of the coin is enough to clear the costs of grading. Please ignore most of YouTube coin things.

Ima Dragon and Santinidollar like this.
  5. Clawcoins

just briefly
    upload_2019-8-9_13-59-35.png
    your half dollar his this damage
    - rim damage to the right
    - many surface marks scarring the mirror finish
    - many minor scratches

it would not grade very well and you would lose money on it.

NSP, Ima Dragon, buckeye73 and 3 others like this.
  6. Gnobodyuknow

Gnobodyuknow New Member

Awesome, thank you both very much for the quick reply's. This is exactly what I was afraid of if I had sent them in and they were returned "details" or not graded at all. Still trying to learn as much as I can before I make any big mistakes. I can say I learned a bunch today. Thank you again

NSP, Ima Dragon, jafo50 and 3 others like this.
  7. Clawcoins

Grading Costs are very expensive, comparatively.
    So you either
    - want to make sure the graded coin is worth more than all shipping and grading costs
    - or you simply like it graded in a plastic tomb

Until you can get close to grading your own coins you'll probably be on the losing end of almost everything. You'll see people sell bulk graded "pocket change" on eBay because they saw some YouTube video that made them think otherwise.

You may want to buy graded coins as in-hand comparison. Learn to look for the extremely fine detail differences. The website I provided above helps, but in-hand really helps. But it requires to spend money to learn. And then time and comparison to learn too.

Inspector43 likes this.
  8. Gnobodyuknow

Gnobodyuknow New Member

Awesome, thank you again. I am super cautious about spending more than I need to. I might pick up a couple items already graded to give me a base to compare and learn from. Thank you again.

9. Kasia

One thing that is nearly free is to go to coin shows and look at graded coins. You don't have to buy them but you might if you like the coin enough. It's not like going to a library and reading a book, because you don't just sit down and really examine them. But you can start seeing the differences in grades when you look at the coins and try to see why they were graded that way.

Also actually free is going to the posts here to GTG (guess the grade) and really start looking at them, and interacting. It does start to click after awhile.

Also PCGS has standards for grading and they are posted on the web. So look for them. There are also some good books about grading.

The old adage applies: Buy the book before the coin. So if you have some money that is starting to say 'spend me', you might be ready to buy a book.

Kentucky, NSP, Trish and 2 others like this.
  10. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Welcome to the neighborhood!

When was the last time that you hit the jackpot on Powerball? That is about how often you will find a coin in circulation that is truly worthy of grading based on its condition.

Would you like to know why I call it BoobTube?

Chris

11. Gnobodyuknow

Gnobodyuknow New Member

Lol, Yeah I take a lot of what I watch on Youtube with a grain of salt. I really do like watching the roll hunts though and have learned a ton of what to keep over what isn't worth keeping.

12. Gnobodyuknow

Gnobodyuknow New Member

Very cool! Thank you

13. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

14. Robert91791

Robert91791 Well-Known Member

YES, you should if you really like getting screwed by these grading companies. You might as well send them all in for grading. LOL

Gnobodyuknow and Inspector43 like this.
  15. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Not worth the cost to grade them. Save your money. Welcome to CT.

Gnobodyuknow likes this.
  16. cpm9ball

@Gnobodyuknow

Ignore this guy. He doesn't know what he is talking about.

Chris

Gnobodyuknow likes this.
  17. Kasia

Or he could be being facetious, as evidenced both from the tone and substance, and the 'lol' at the end. In other words, don't send them in as is will waste out your money.

18. cpm9ball

The first sentence is demeaning to the grading services. The second sentence is demeaning to the OP. I can see the reason for the "LOL" directed to the OP, but why demean the grading service if he was just kidding? They have absolutely nothing to do with this thread. I'll stick with my original conclusion.

Chris

19. Kasia

Whatevs. Lots of people have made similarly veined comments on here. Pretty normal, actually. But if it bothers you, by all means continue to make a crusade of it. And "getting screwed by these grading services" does not differentiate between what TPGs are considered on the up and up and top tier as opposed to numerous others who are more questionable, but who all will gladly take your money for their services and for costs of s/h. I can argue that this language can equally apply to the person who wastes their money trying to grade coins that are not worth the effort as to the grading companies themselves.

I see nothing that is demeaning to the OP. Perhaps it is a bit presumptive that it will be an OK comment, if that poster doesn't know the OP, but not demeaning. Plenty of times negative type language or statements are said to make a point. The point being that the coins should not be sent for grading.

Anyways, I will disagree with your conclusions when mine are equally valid and reasonable.

Kentucky likes this.
  20. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

IMHO, someone who is very new to collecting shouldn’t worry for a while about grading/slabbing.

21. cpm9ball

FWIW, I quoted this guy about 4-1/2 hours ago, so he should know what I said. I would expect that if he resented my comments, I would have heard about it by now, but I haven't. That is typical of someone who has stuck their foot in their mouth and doesn't want to admit it.

Yeah, maybe he had to go to work or maybe he was stuck on I-10 in Texas on his way back to California. Should we give him a few hours to think up a good story?

Chris

Draft saved Draft deleted