Should I grant an eBay refund for a coin received 21 days ago?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by C-B-D, Mar 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I sold a raw 1838 reeded half for $406. Buyer received it March 1. Tonight he emails and says, "I sent it to PCGS and it came back cleaned. I want a refund!" My return policy is 14 days. What do I do? He lost money in fees. Who's to say he won't neg me after I refund him anyway? I've never gotten a negative before. Don't wanna start now, but I don't want to fork over $406 either. HELP!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. pballer225

pballer225 Member

Did you say it had original, uncleaned surfaces in the description? If you did, you should give a refund, otherwise I'm not sure what I would do either.

4. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

If you did not claim it was uncleaned and its past the 14 days I would not refund. If the Ebay listed it as an unclaimed, problem free coin then I would refund.

5. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

it looks cleaned from the pictures. not sure what he was expecting. if you dont want it back dont accept return

6. Raymond Beracha

Raymond Beracha Active Member

$406 is worth all the future business you plan on doing on EBay.

Refund it.

You need to consider how much business a 99.8% seller and a 100% seller do in the long run.

7. pballer225

pballer225 Member

Oh yeah, now that I found the listing it's very obviously cleaned from the pictures. I wouldn't give a refund on that unless you want it back.

8. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I don't want it back. But I don't want my first negative either. Buyers have all the rights and protection though, don't they. Sigh.

9. scott490

scott490 Member

You took advantage of an inexperienced bidder. Imagine if that bidder's 14 years old. How do you feel then?

I have a policy on buying raw coins on ebay and it goes something like this. Spend no more than 100 bucks no matter the coin. Dealers like you are the reason for this policy.

10. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

what do you base this on?

11. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

negs arent that bad. ive never not bought a coin because the seller had a neg.

12. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I wouldn't refund it. The coin is obviously cleaned based on the photos and he was 2 weeks past the refund date. You have a feedback score of over 3000...1 negative won't hurt you anymore than that one neutral you got will hurt you.

What evidence do you have of this?

13. Blaubart

Blaubart Melt Value = 4.50

I would feel like his parents shouldn't be letting him bid on $400 coins on FeeBay.

silentnviolent likes this.
  14. scott490

scott490 Member

Well it's obvious the coin's been cleaned and yet it wasn't mentioned in the item description. So there's that evidence. The second part is that the winning bidder has 52 transactions to his credit. That suggests inexperience.

15. Windchild

Windchild Punic YN, Shahanshah

Here's how I, a YN, would feel.

I would first ask someone who is an expert and will give advice without bidding you up.

Then, I would bid, and would not expect my money back if the coin graded cleaned, but chalk it up to a learning experience, and find a new expert to help.

16. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

in all honesty.. im going to say this stick to you policy.. hes past his 14 days there is nothing he can do about it..

17. coppermania

coppermania Numistatist

People are crazy to think they can buy raw on eBay and if the coin doesn't grade at PCGS they should get a refund. It is not how the world works where I come from.

Tinpot likes this.
  18. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

I gotta agree. I always refund if the customer isn't happy and I left something out of the ad. After you refund be sure and add a disclaimer to your sales. I've never sold a cleaned coin but if I was to sell one I would certainly include (that the coin may be cleaned so if you are expecting something better, then this sale is not for you.) Simple and it will save you from the bidiots. You don't know who you're dealing with so you gotta cya really well.

19. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Go for it. Did he tell you ahead of time that he was gonna send it to PCGS?

20. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

I think you should ask him to return the coin and then refund the money. A good seller will have some ups and downs. Plus he's already out his stupid money for sending it for grading and then not being happy with the results. So he thought PCGS would grade it clean. You aren't refunding that money, so he can have a reminder of his loss.

The problem with not refunding it is that he still has time to complain to ebay or do a charge back, and you have not too much recourse. But if you take the item back and refund the money, then if he negs you, you can call ebay to ask that they remove the neg because you did a refund. Also, you can refund the postage/handling he originally paid, but you don't have to pay for the shipping back to you if you don't want.

Once that's done, just block the sucker.

You'll be better off in the long run if you still want to sell on ebay. IMO.

imrich likes this.
  21. Danr

Danr Numismatist

you sold a cleaned coin without listing it as cleaned. You are in the wrong give him his money back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.