Should I get them graded

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Kennyeva$$$, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Kennyeva$$$

Kennyeva$$$ New Member

Hi when to store to McDonalds got a soda she gave me my change there was two 1965 penny iv never in my life seen coin look like this so new looking for 55 years old should I get them graded

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

nope, save your money.

very common date, unless you think it will get a VERY high grade, but we would need clear picture, out of the plastic.

spirityoda and Inspector43 like this.
  4. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

Welcome to CT @Kennyeva$$$. While it isn't usual to get a coin in change from circulation that is as nice as the one you did, it happens. I'd definitely save it, but it is not worth the cost of having it graded.
    As for your photos, here is my standard advice when posting photos.
    You should always post in focus FULL IMAGE photos (after you upload your photo, two buttons appear: Thumbnail and Full Image, click Full Image and your photo appears full size on your post and is easily enlarged by clicking on it. While it isn’t always necessary,* it is nice to show both the obverse and reverse, even if your question is just about one side. Members can often give more valuable information having both sides to evaluate. Crop out superfluous background so just the coin shows, and post photos with correct orientation so members don't have to turn their computer in some awkward fashion to view it properly. Add close ups of areas you have questions about and make your questions as definitive as possible so we know what you are asking for. And try to have the best lighting possible to show the most favorable photo of the coin. Hope this helps in the future. Good luck.

*Edit note: Added to appease some members. You know who you are. LOL

5. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

And I graduated from high school in 1965! If only I was in that condition. Now days, I'd only grade about good!

6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It's a very common date, high mintage numbers and it was probably kept in a collection for those 55 years. Any attempt to have them graded would be a waste of good money.
    Welcome to CT.

steve westermeier likes this.
  7. VRSilver

VRSilver Member

Yea, keep it but no need for a slab. Someone saved it for a while and then just said heck with it.. I filled up a few tubes with similar back in my penny sifting days.

8. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

9. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

I'd say if you want to spend $50-$60 or so to get a 1965 cent graded that will likely be worth $10-$20 tops, go for it!

People do it. Now a day people grade anything and everything. It was originally meant as a means of a guarantee on a high value coin that it was legit wit all the counterfeits of the high value coins out there.
    It wasn't really meant for "this is nice let's grade it"

But that's how the grading companies make their money they won't talk you out of it. Neither will I if that's what you want to do.

10. VRSilver

VRSilver Member

Some people grade things just for the novelty of having it graded. I legit saw a 1935 buffalo at a flea market one time graded (F-15 scratched), but labeled "CONDITION GRADED BY PROFESSIONALS!!! $50"

11. Marie909

Marie909 Active Member

Was not the question asked but... are my glasses dirty or is the nose area funky?

12. Papa Sid

Papa Sid New Member

you dont find old copper cents in that condition anymore. nice

Draft saved Draft deleted