Should I crack and regrade? Or keep it as is?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by jtlee321, May 27, 2015.

1. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

After doing a GTG on this Morgan, I'm at a bit of a conundrum. Should I keep this Morgan in the original ANA holder or try to resubmit to PCGS or NGC and hope for a higher grade? I think it may have potential to jump a grade if not two. What are your thoughts?

1888-O Morgan Dollar ANA Obverse.jpg 1888-O Morgan Dollar ANA Reverse.jpg

swamp yankee likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Twobit

Twobit Active Member

personally I don't buy many Morgans but when I do I buy them in these little white holders so I have a bit of a biased opinion.
    And with the overall weak strike I'd enjoy it as is.
    Any upgrade premium would/should be about the same as the old holder IMO.

edit to add nice coin I like it.

4. jtlee321

Thank you @Twobit. I'm thinking along the same lines, hence the conundrum. I really like it in the holder it is in as well. But if it got the bump to 65 there is quite the jump in value. So it's a thinker. I'm not in a hurry to crack and submit. So I will be thinking about it a while.

5. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I would leave it the way it is.

jello and dwhiz like this.
  6. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I just sold one of these. 1882-S old ANA holder MS63. It went for $135... better than MS65 money.

7. medjoy

medjoy Active Member

Send it to CAC, maybe it'll get a gold bean?

8. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

CAC doesn't do ANACS. That said I would keep it as is.
    Buy the coin not the sticker

alyssacoins and medjoy like this.
  9. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Keep it as is, not worth the $'s.

alyssacoins likes this.
  10. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

It will not upgrade due to the strike. 88-O isn't typically well-struck, but it also isn't typically this poorly struck.

alyssacoins likes this.
  11. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I think this coin is a 64, but should not 65. I personally would not bother resubmitting.

Paul M. likes this.
  12. treylxapi47

treylxapi47 Well-Known Member Dealer

If you like the holder and want to play the resubmittal game. Go with a PCGS crossover and save your small slab if it doesn't cross.

13. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

I 'd leave it as most like these old ANACS holders . Also the date and MM is noted for weak strikes .

Paul M. likes this.
  14. jtlee321

Well it looks to be pretty much unanimous. I think I will keep it as is. I hope someday that CAC will review ANACS slabs. I think this could easily get a Gold Bean if they did.

15. 712

712 Constatutionalist, U.S.N. Viet Nam vet 66'

Leave it like it is, too much field and cheek chatter for 64 or 65, PCGS or NGC would more than likely downgrade it, nice toning though.

16. jtlee321

There is actually almost no chatter across the coin. The only area with contact marks from being hit by other coins is on her neck and a spot on the reverse at the bottom. The rest of what you see are areas where other coins were resting and slid a little while in a bag. I've seen many 65's with similar or worse surfaces than this one. The biggest thing holding this one back is as others have said, the weak strike. However, to my eye's that weak strike is what gives this one character. Had it been fully struck it would have more than likely eliminated the planchet striations. On the other hand, if the planchet striations were not present with this kind of weak strike, it would be rather boring. Then you throw in the eye appeal of the toning and it has blossomed from being an ugly duckling to a beautiful swan. So it will stay in my collection as is and I will enjoy it for as long as I own it (which will probably be as long as I'm alive).

Barber dime 94s and rzage like this.
  17. UniqueDesigns

UniqueDesigns Civil War Token Collector

Aren't those fine horizontal lines on the Obv. & weak chest feathers Rev.?
    712 is right, it might get downgraded just as easily.
    Reslab costs could be eaten up by auction premiums?
    Safe in an original MS63 slab allows other bidders to dream of it being under graded.
    Let them wonder if it's worth a bidding war.

Last edited: May 27, 2015
    712 and micbraun like this.
  18. Bill1517

Bill1517 Active Member

Would likely regrade as 64, but not worth additional grading fee

19. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Leave it these older holders are selling points,

20. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

I like those old-school ANACS holders and would keep her as is! Who cares about the label or a 63/64...

Draft saved Draft deleted