Should I buy a ryedale?

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by COSprings, Nov 23, 2012.

1. COSprings

COSprings New Member

I've been looking at a Ryedale and a hand fed coin sorter, I really want to get a sorter that can do different coins like dimes, halves, quarters, nickels, etc. But today alone I went through $100 in pennies, and over $200 in other things. What do you guys think I should buy? Can Ryedales sort through other denominations of coins? Any input appreciated, also if I should buy a Ryedale, how much should I pay for a used one (I see people on forums saying $275 for a used Ryedale but I can't find one that cheap anymore, anyone know where I could get one?)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Easy

Easy New Member

I bought a used Ryedale. I think I paid 300 something. It's nice. Makes short work of pennies and dimes. Not usefully for much else.

4. FadeToBlack

FadeToBlack New Member

I debated it and decided against it. Tough to justify the cost unless you have a quick and easy buyer for your copper cents.

5. vdbpenny1995

vdbpenny1995 Well-Known Member

I thought about it to, but since I only do a box of halves a week, its not worth it to me. Also, theres nothing better than that feeling you get when you rip open the side of a roll and see silver! Really, it just comes down to how much you search a week.

6. COSprings

COSprings New Member

Thanks for the input guys. Is there anyway that a ryedale can search nickels, quarters, halves, etc? From what I can see only Dimes and Pennies are supported. I might just buy a Ryedale for dimes and try and search through some dimes for silver that way, dimes strain my eyes too much. And while I run some dimes through it, I can look through halves :D

7. FadeToBlack

FadeToBlack New Member

I wouldn't bother with a Ryedale for anything but cents.

8. COSprings

COSprings New Member

Any other ideas besides ryedale for what I needed it for?

9. FadeToBlack

FadeToBlack New Member

Your hands and eyes.

10. Easy

Easy New Member

To me edge checking dimes is impossible. I edge check clear brinks rolls before they go into the Ryedale and I would miss 3/4 of them. Quarters I can edge check no problem. Anyways works for me. To each his own. I was told by the rep at Ryedale there machine will not support quarters. It will however run nickels it's just that the comparator can't separate them so it does you no good and halves obviously are too big as well. There is another machine called the Penny miner that has an adapter that will allow you to run quarters but I don't have one so I couldn't tell you if it's worth having, I would think not since quarters are so easy to edge search.

11. COSprings

COSprings New Member

Ya I don't mind edge searching larger coins like quarters and halves. Dimes kill my eyes and I am sure I've missed a lot already. I wish I could get a ryedale for under $300 and split the costs with my uncle and then we could split the silver we find too :D

12. pballer225

pballer225 Member

You don't really need a Ryedale. In the last year I've sorted out over 400 pounds of 1959-1981 cents by hand. I should post another picture of my hoard lol :)

13. COSprings

COSprings New Member

You're insane. I'm not that dedicated lol.

14. pballer225

pballer225 Member

Why is it so insane, thats only about 3 rolls of copper pennies a day, it really adds up over a year :p

15. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

A Ryedale machine wouldn't do me any good because I search out varieties and keys. This machine won't separate out these.

16. Clone

Clone New Member

I would not buy a Ryedale machine since I do not think it is worth $500. A simple gravity machine could be constructed that works just as well as a Ryedale machine using gravity for sorting copper cents. Here is a link to a very simple machine someone made with cardboard. I do not recommend this method as it is too slow.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC8ABm2Tz5c
    There are other designs out there that are also slow. A motor driven machine is the only way to go.
    This video shows how Ryedale machine works.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6dYza7E9_c

I don't think this Ryedale machine needs to use a coin comparator and possibly doesn't.

Draft saved Draft deleted