Should I break up a roll

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by justcallmedan, Jul 22, 2011.

1. justcallmedan

justcallmedan Member

Hi everyone,

Just joined the forum and hope I'm posting this question in the right section. I have a roll of uncirculated 1934-D pennies that I want to sell and I'm wondering about whether it would be worthwhile to sell the coins separately vs. as a roll. Any estimates on value would be appreciated too.

Thanks in advance.

Dan

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. wooleytree

wooleytree Operation Flamingo

I would keep it as a roll. I have a number of BU rolls dating back to 1942 and in my opinion they are worth more together. Current Grey sheet bid on a BU roll of 1934 d cents is $1800 ask is $1975. You may have to hit a few dealers or shows to find a buyer.

4. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

I agree... keep as a roll. A quick search of eBay shows BU '34-D's selling in the $20 to $50 price range, with a few gems going somewhat higher. But most would be in the $30 range ($1500 total for the roll), so it's probably not worth the effort to break it up unless you believe there may be some gems in there.

5. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Is the roll a "put together roll" bought from someone, or is the roll traceable back to an original bag. A photo of the roll would help. I have seen 30's coins in a put together roll where they average just a little above MS60 to 93. Original verifiable rolls are hard to find and mainly show up in real auctions. If they were Ebay, I am pretty sure they are put together.

And Welcome to the Forum!
    Jim

6. justcallmedan

justcallmedan Member

Jim,

As far as I know, the roll is all from the same source and not put together. I bought it from a coin dealer in the 70's and have been sitting on it ever since. As far as "verifying" the roll as being from an original bag, I haven't a clue on how I'd do that. All I can say is that all the coins are of uniform appearance so I assume they have all been treated alike. I've attached a picture of the roll and of a close-up of couple coins.

Dan

1934-D.jpg 1934-D Roll.jpg

7. justcallmedan

justcallmedan Member

wolleytree,

Thanks for your input. My intuition tells me the same thing. I would thing that 50 of a hard-to-find thing are worth more than the sum of 50 separate items. Fewer buyers though due to cost.

8. wooleytree

Dan, I'd say that it's a good roll. They all look very uniform. Hate to admit it but I just swapped in my roll of 46-s and 1 roll of 48-d on a 1937 D 3 legged Buffalo today. old ANACS vf-20.

9. justcallmedan

justcallmedan Member

Thanks, jloring! One of the things I need to do is to go through the roll looking for any exceptional coins. I'm not experienced enough at grading so I'll have to use PCGS if I find a likely one or two.

10. justcallmedan

justcallmedan Member

I see there's a VF-20 for sale on E-Bay right now @ $905. Pricey little critter!! The Buffalo Nickel is actually my favorite coin but I only have a couple of them.

11. McBlzr

McBlzr Sr Professional Collector

The 3 Legger will always be a valued conversation piece ;)

So selling that roll or trading it for a key coin might be worth it. :D

Attached Files:

12. HowardStern

HowardStern Member

I have a few boxes of 2010 p cents. Would it be even worth it to open a few rolls of those? I havent seen any decent errors for 2010 yet.

13. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

This is one of those odd situations by CDN. Using the roll price these are worth 39.50, but in MS-64 down they are only worth $26. Unless there's some 65 and 66's in there, you should keep it as a roll.

14. justcallmedan

justcallmedan Member

Am I wrong in thinking I should get out there and sell the roll as a roll NOW before the price imbalance corrects itself? Should I expect the CDN bid price of $1800 as my sale price?

15. HowardStern

HowardStern Member

Dont try to sell that roll if your not a reputable coin dealer. No one will trust you, and you wont get a good price. I have been burned before selling obw rolls. Its too easy to buy your roll, pick out the gems and return the rest..unwrapped and searched.
    99% of all rolls are searched on the bay. If you indeed believe you have an unsearched roll, crack that sucka and get the good ones graded and sell the rest raw!

16. wooleytree

Dan, check the internet for the next coin show with in 100 miles of your house and take a road trip. Find a good dealer and see what they offer. Like I mentioned I just traded a couple of rolls in on a 3 legged buffalo yesterday, it is a good sized coin shop and they were willing to buy my cents outright if that is what I wanted to do. This shop along with some others usually offer 80-85% of grey sheet bid. We looked at every cent on the rolls that I had and only 3 looked spotty. I have a roll of 1951 P cents that had gotten spotty on me (moisture I guess) and they passed on them. I don't blame them it had been a few years since I looked at them and they were not spotted a few years ago. Like I said they are worth more as a roll. If you would like I can send you their information via a private message and you could call them as ask their opinion.

17. justcallmedan

justcallmedan Member

I'd appreciate that since you trust their opinion.

18. justcallmedan

justcallmedan Member

The trust factor is one of the things that originally made me think about selling the coins individually on E-Bay. People would be willing to "risk" $30 or so on a mail-order transaction but not $1500 - $1800. I'm sure that will require a dealer and a face-to-face sale.

Draft saved Draft deleted