Should I break coins out of NNC slabs before submitting to TPG?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by RichUrich, Feb 11, 2016.

1. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

I am not sure if that dime went to PCGS first or not. If I remember correctly ANACS was the first to holder it then it was crossed over to PCGS.

I've used the PCGS attribution a lot for Seated coinage and have no complaints about their work. It can be slow at times but they've gotten everyone right. The one time I tried NGC for attribution they got it wrong so I won't use their service anymore for that but I do use NGC for error coins over PCGS.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I'm sure everyone here has an issue or horror story with a TPG, or trying to get what we believe or even know that we have found a new variety .
    But again we all are human subject to error,or errors.
    But when big money and politics enter the picture that's a different story. We all know or should know what rules......
    :)

4. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

I always wonder why some people want all their coins in slabs.

Last week I had an angry wife bring me two 1893 S Morgan dollars that her husband had bought from a "dealer" in China. Of course they were fake. Nice AU/Uncs though.

The husband contacted me the next day and was telling me of all the coins he has bought. He told me he had 70 Morgans he wanted me to send to PCGS for him.

When I have my coins graded, it is usually for one of three reasons.

I want a guarantee for my customer that the coin is genuine. (Think 1916 D dimes and 1909 S V.D.B.)

Second, there is a big jump between grades and I am hoping that my coin makes the higher priced grade. (Think 1892 S Morgan: $1440.00 in AU but $70,000.00 in MS-63)

Third, The coin in question is so beautiful that I want some serious plastic around it just to preserve it)

5. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Very well said. I'm going to steal this :eek: and claim it as my own :mask::blackalien:

Cascade likes this.
  6. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Agreed with all three of your points, but for the last point, the coin has to be absolutely gorgeous before I'm willing to pay ~$50 to get it put in a $5 plastic holder. If that's the only reason, I'd go for an Air-tite for ~$1.

7. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

I'm in 100% agreement with you. I've bought a few graded by ANACS and ICG that IMHO were properly graded and priced very reasonably. And will continue to do so if I see something I like.

Insider likes this.
  8. Mike Thorne

Mike Thorne Well-Known Member

I don't know anything about NNC, but I sent several PCI (the early ones) coins to PCGS. I left them in their PCI slabs. Of the 6 coins I sent, 4 went into PCGS holders with the same grades. One went from PCI AU58 to PCGS AU55. And the last one went from PCI AU58 to PCGS MS62! If the coins are accurately graded by NNC, I think PCGS will recognize it.

Insider likes this.
  9. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

The very early PCI coins (green label with the three codes on the back) are generally considered the best and although maybe a tad optimistic at the time, they are 'right' given gradeflation.

That's very different than NNC, check the link I posted in #52.

He bought it in an NCS (NGS' conservation company which used to slab problem coins in their own holders) holder as a details coin, cracked it out and regarded it himself as problem free.

We've all seen TPGs regrade problem coins as problem-free (and vice versa), but that's THIRD party graders. When Centsles does it himself, that is a FIRST party action and may (I am not a lawyer) be fraud.

Insider likes this.
  10. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

Speaking of Centsles, it is very apparent that there is fraudulent shill bidding going on. There is an ICG MS62 1934-S Peace Dollar for sale and the "second highest" bidder has 100% of the last 30 days of bids on a 165 separate items.

I was about to bid until I saw it go "out of sorts" and when I checked bidding history - I found this.

www.ebay.com/itm/141975011936

Bidder Information
    Bidder: [​IMG]w***d[​IMG]( 1840[​IMG]) [​IMG]
    Item description: [​IMG]Item Title: 1934-S SILVER PEACE DOLLAR ICG MS62 RARE THIS NICE!!
    Bids on this item: [​IMG]1
    [​IMG]
    30-Day Summary
    Total bids: [​IMG]246
    Items bid on: [​IMG]165
    Bid activity (%) with this seller: [​IMG]100% [​IMG][​IMG]
    Bid retractions: [​IMG]0
    Bid retractions (6 months): [​IMG]0

longshot likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted