Should I break coins out of NNC slabs before submitting to TPG?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by RichUrich, Feb 11, 2016.

1. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I saw that you misspelled a word, so I took the liberty of correcting it.......

"I'm only allowed a certain # of feces per post."

Chris

Insider likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Oh I totally get it on the cross to a 68 however in hand this coin is a different animal then by my image. Yes a Pr 68 DC would be a $65,000.00 coin no bones about it.
    I have had little trust in TPG from sending in coins my self years ago. As I have had several coins sent in come back in body bags.
    case in point....
    my father worked for the Federal Reserve . During his 47 years there he had a lot of money come across his path.
    He had in his Safety deposit box quite a few items.
    One was a roll of 1943 P war nickels.
    it was one item I got when he passed.
    Now remember in those days the bank received sealed bags from the mint. At the bank there were actually cages where mostly women as it was war time worked to roll
    coinage to be sent out to regular banks for commerce .
    Smack dab in the middle of the roll was an 1943/2 unc. Nice coin not full step... but really nice coin.
    Sent it in......and......it came back cleaned!
    This coin came from a shotgun roll that the coins last seen light back in 1943.
    now what makes it even stranger is that I sent in several other coins from the same roll. All came back as 64-66 , one came back as a 65 FS.
    Yet the one that was the variety came back cleaned.
    After that I was done sending coins in to PCGS.
    NGC who in my opinion grade nickels on a different curve that is much tougher got it right.
    So yes I do agree if you have a high dollar coin or a high value variety you're very lucky if it gets a fair shake.

4. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Great catch! That's exactly what I tried to say in "code."

5. Insider

Seems you haven't had very good luck w/TPGS. Lucky they grade anything now.

Are you one of the folks who uses the ANA Grading Guide exclusively? On second thought, that cannot be the problem because the coins should grade higher at the TPGS. This is a stumper? Any ideas what the reason could be? Are most of your submissions "raw."

6. Paddy54

Back when I did send in coins they were raw. I'm not a huge fan of TPG or slabs. I'm old school and prefer raw over slabbed coins. I do have and have sent coins in before was a member of pcgs as well as ngc. When I was dealing I sold both however I would buy slabbed to resell as that was the trend. I got away from sending in coins and eating the fee's as I for the most part could buy graded coins cheaper then raw and sending them in for grading.
    But to be honest I prefer raw coins for many reasons. I buy a coin for he coin not the grade or grader. And won't buy a sticker coin unless it's removed. As far as the Franklin goes I needed two to complete the proof set. I am not interested in doing so ,thus I was going to sell off all of them ,and put that money to a better use.

7. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say they don't get a fair sake they just aren't going to give anything at that level the benefit of the doubt whatsoever. Any doubt in their mind on high value coins and they will play it safe.

Insider and Paddy54 like this.
  8. Paddy54

There's one thing many may not understand if you weren't a collector during the 60's. And that is this....
    During that time,and I do understand it's no longer the 60's and things do change...
    When you went to a coin club meeting or a coin shop there were no graded coins so to speak.
    Yes dealers and collectors did place a grade or value on their coins. But that was,part of the fun of collecting . One must also remember you could very easy for the most part find or put together a collection from pocket change.
    Or going to the bank and finding the holes in your books.
    Living on the right coast yes finding "S" mint marks were extremely rare! If you found an S cent in your change it was like hitting the lottery .
    You sat at a meeting horse trading, swapping,and yes arguing over the deal,and condition of said coin.
    But that was FUN!!!!
    I'm sure members here my age who were collectors as kids will tell you. As a paper boy I was paid monthly With all silver coins, silver certificates , red seals US Notes......etc...etc.... and yes finding a 50 D nickel, or even a 16 D dime was next to impossible but it could be done!
    I don't regret being able to share this experience with you,and I'm sure others of my era will express the same.

Santinidollar likes this.
  9. Paddy54

The same goes for people who do attribution of varieties . Show them something new found and unless it stands up and bites them, their reply is going to be show me another before I make a call that's going to bite me for making a call. Sure an 1919 ddo dime is hard to deny. But other finds will be shelved until a second or third is found to CYA. Before a certification is made.

baseball21 likes this.
  10. cpm9ball

I know what you mean! I've got six of a particular coin, but so far, no one is willing to step up and say, "Yes, it is!" So, until I can get it 100% confirmed and certified, it's going to remain under wraps. I don't care about telling someone, "I told you so!". I just want everyone to know that I'm not crazy.

Chris

Paddy54 likes this.
  11. Paddy54

No you're a lot of things I can think of but not crazy!
    Especially if you tried to get something very simple verified through a so called expert. But if you recall I had a new find and a month later it was de listed.
    And another who e mailed me oh yes you're 100% correct and it is this variety,and Alan knows whom I'm referring to......only to post otherwise......... to make me look the fool.
    I guess it's great to be king. :)

12. cpm9ball

All I've got to say is that the expert who is willing to go the extra mile for me will be very happily surprised.

Chris

13. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Definitely.

NNC is a huge red flag. The owner is known for buying problem coins, cracking them out and putting them in his own clean slabs. Several grades higher. So your MS67 is probably UNC details.

Here is a thread ats where he's been caught again red handed: http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=252726

Santinidollar likes this.
  14. baseball21

Right that is one area where the TPGs definitely do not want to be trail blazers and researchers when it comes to making new varieties. If I remember correctly that dime was sent to CONECA or some experts like that then sent into ANACS with a letter from them authenticating the variety and later crossed to PCGS for the first example. The path of least resistance seems to be to get it into a reference guide or cherry pickers book first and then they'll consider putting it on the label but I can't recall it ever being on the label before the guide or book would put it in.

15. Insider

Yes it was fun. I even found a VF 16-D in junk silver but I had to give it to the dealer I worked for at the time.

Nevertheless, counterfeit key coins were the norm, and whizzing was fooling people. Grading was different with just 8-9 word grades; yet just as today it seemed most could not agree. We did not have the sophistication or grading skills we have now. Only reason I would go back to those days is for the prices!

16. Insider

As far as I know, it happened to me w/PCGS, they are the only service that needs to see another specimen. I am 99% certain that ANACS, ICG, and NGC will certify new varieties - happens a few times a year - and in some cases will put "discovery coin" on the label. On occasion the TPGS's will not attribute a known variety if there is no photo or diagnostics to ID it on the internet or in a book. These may get a "generic" description such as "micro DDR."

17. Insider

What service did you send it to AND how can anyone "step up" when they don't know what it is. Send two of them to either ICG or ANACS. Tell them one is for reference and you only wish one (highest grade) to be slabbed. YOU MAY BE pleasantly surprised. Besides, the Jokers at the TPGS love to get their name in the paper for a new discovery!

18. baseball21

PCGS will too if you do the leg work ahead of time. They had a variety for the 1798 dollar last year that I believe they were the first to certify. I've never had a discovery coin but my impression is PCGS is probably the most cautious and takes the most work to get them to be the first to do it from reading some stories about the process on various forums. It seems easier to get the experts to get ANACS to do it and then just cross it over from that point.

Insider likes this.
  19. Insider

If you are speaking of the new DDO dime, IMO the experts at the TPGS deserve to be ridiculed! Was PCGS involved again? I would NEVER send a newly discovered anything to them...they are just a bunch of coin dealers. The real experts I trust are at the other three services. PCGS may have good outside consultants but someone on CT tell me who they have ON STAFF that is a nationally recognized variety expert. I want to be educated.

As I said before, if you have something new - ICG or ANACS. You'll get better PERSONAL service for your discovery and can crack the "gem" out later.

Paddy54 likes this.
  20. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Perhaps not coincidentally, my one NNC slabbed coin is also a problem coin in an MS-67 holder. I wasn't mislead; I bought it (really cheap) that way on purpose, and mostly for the slab itself.
    Basement slab ike.jpg

21. Insider

ICG also had a discovery dollar last year. Since the submitter wanted it attributed, the graders had to wait for a new BB# to be assigned so it could appear on the label. Fact is, everyone who saw the coin new it was a "discovery coin." That's probably what happened with the dime. ANACS needed CONECA to give it a number. Then the experts at PCGS get it :vomit:

Draft saved Draft deleted