Should I break coins out of NNC slabs before submitting to TPG?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by RichUrich, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Wait a minute...thought you said you were female....oops...don't ask, don't tell...

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Do:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:we:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:need:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:to:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:do:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:an:hilarious::hilarious: intervention:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:? I:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:can:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:bring:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:my:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: taser:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:.

4. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

+1 for Kentucky the forum comic :woot: :smuggrin:

longshot likes this.
  5. James S

James S Low Mintage

To me Anacs graded coins are just as legit as the top two grading services the only thing is when you sale the Anacs graded coins they want bring in as much money, so unfortunately I stay away from buying there coins plus they have so many coins marked Cleaned, scratched, buffed etc that also diminshes there value.

Insider likes this.
  6. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

You better not ask. I got into BIG TROUBLE w/moderator :nailbiting::stop: who pulled my posts :bigtears::arghh::( in the lying thread and gave me a warning :muted:.

I'm only allowed a certain # of faces per post.

7. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I agree 100% .....I just had a dealer friend send in a coin for me a 1953 proof Franklin in a PCI holder graded Pr 68 deep cam. To cross no lower than PF65 DC . They sent it back untouched and charged 55.00 over the 40.00 grading fee. A surcharge of 10 % of a signed value of the coin.
    So with out a gun they took $95.00 of my money for nada!

8. Insider

:rolleyes: We cannot blame the grading services for indicating the problems on coins (that we :shame: purchased) that make them worth-less. I look at it as an educational experience - that's NOT cheap. Better for us to learn to grade first and quit buying "raw" coins until we do. :smuggrin:

9. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

NNC holders are equivalent to bulky 2x2s. Crack them all out and put them in flips. It will make shipping much easier. If the graders are looking through a third-world slab to grade a coin (they'll know this, even if the grade is covered), they won't give the coin any benefit of the doubt if the slab itself might impede inspection.

10. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Was, is, will be, or perhaps just "identifies" with being one. Doesn't seem to matter much these days..... "don't ask, don't tell" indeed.

Kentucky and Insider like this.
  11. Insider

If the PCI coin was in a gold label holder - anything goes.

IMO, They should have called the dealer and asked if he wished it holdered at a lower grade. That's what collectors/dealers often get at certain TPGS - no customer service, nothing.

12. Insider

:kiss:

13. Kentucky

That's funny, reminds me of a student I had in a high school chem class who asked me on the first day if I were going to limit him to a certain number of questions like some other teachers did. I told him no. BTW, he sent me a notification when he got his PhD.

Insider likes this.
  14. Paddy54

To be honest I could care less ,as if you seen the coin in hand you would agree maybe not a 68 but no lower then a 66 and DC for sure. I rather have it in a PCI holder at Pr 68 DC then in a pcgs holder lower than a 66 DC. In any holder.
    again buy the coin not the holder or sticker. Playing politics with my money it be a cold day in you know where I'll send any coin into PCGS. I prefer NGC to begin with,and I plan to send it into ANACS the next show and see what happens .

15. Kentucky

I should have added...don't care.

16. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Send me a PM with your name & address, and I'll dig the inserts out and send them to you.

Chris

17. Paddy54

18. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

The DCAM was your problem. It wouldn't have mattered what grade you put if you said it had to stay DCAM. The upper left of the bell structure has breaks were you can see black, they won't DCAM something with breaks in the frost like that.

Insider likes this.
  19. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Just divide the grades by 3 that should give you an idea of the real grade.

:)

20. Paddy54

I don't see what you're referring to and this image does the coin no justice as it was taken with a scope not a camera . I'll look to see if I have an image taken when my point and shoot was still working . I need a copy stand to use my DSR.

21. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

I also should have mentioned for that date PCGS has 0 68 DCAMS and only 15 67 DCAMS a couple of which may have been crackouts trying for the upgrade. They're going to be brutal on anything trying to cross at top pop or higher.

Draft saved Draft deleted