Should I be mad ??

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by coin-crazy, Oct 10, 2010.

1. coin-crazy

coin-crazy Senior Error Searcher

I recently got a bag of mixed coins of nickels and mostly cents for 55.00$ but after counting them up, it was only 35.00 dollars.The guy selling the coin wouldnt let me count them forehand, I feel like I was suckered big time and the store owner wouldnt reinburst me with my 20.00$ lost.The cents totaled 20.00$ and the nickels 15.00$. So I searched the bag and this is what I came up with. First the wheaties,1925,1927,1934,1938,1944,1945,1946,1951, 1953,&1957. Also 1 nice woody (1981).. And last , 1/1c-1982 D.D.O, 1/1c 2004 D.D.O, 1/1c 2006 D.D.O, 1/1c 2010 D.D.O..Possible other double dies, 1c 1984 D.D.O(date), 1c 1988 D.D.O(date),1c 2001 D.D.R, and 1- 1989 cent abraided fg variety.And 1-2000 Wide AM.:confused:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Coinguy56

Coinguy56 Member

I think the DD's and Wide am might make up the $20, each probably worth around a dollar or two.

4. USMoneylover

USMoneylover Active Member

Did you buy these coins from a coin shop? What were the nickels? Was this some sort of "grab bag"? Guess i don't really understand how you ended up with a bag of random date Lincolns new and old.

5. coin-crazy

The coins was a bag that a liquor store owner had from change he throw all together.

6. coin-crazy

So your saying the Wide AM is worth 2 or 3 dollars?

7. USMoneylover

USMoneylover Active Member

Yeah, sounds like you learned a lesson for not a whole lot of money...everyone's out to make a buck and he did just that...Best to buy stuff from more reputable places or at least be sure of what you're buying before you shell out the cash....When he refused to let you count the coins it should have set off red flags. Like coinguy said, hopefully the other finds in the bag will make up the difference.

8. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

Just don't buy from the guy again.

9. coin-crazy

I wont be seeing that guy ever again.. I usely get my coins from local stores because they seem to have to best errors.But my biggest error was dealing with that crook.Lesson learnt!!!!!:dead-horse:

10. dctjr80

dctjr80 Senior Member

My opinion is that you should not be mad, you purchased it feeling there was a chance you would walk off the better of the trade, worth more than face... you gambled, you lost, don't whine ;)

11. coin-crazy

Thanks.... I like cheese with whine...lmaooo

12. the collector

the collector *Aussie Coins Collector*

+1 :d

13. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Hammer at the Ready Moderator

Being mad isn't going to help. I wish all of my life lessons came so inexpensively. ;)

14. Coinguy56

Coinguy56 Member

That or right around there. Really I am not sure. It depends on the grade. And like I stated, you probably did not get burned real bad but probably a little. I still think your DD and WA finds will make up $20 but this is not real likely.

15. Should I be mad ??

You have the right to feel however you want but my suggestion is to do so quickly and move on. Sounds like you did ok with the varieties anyway. TC

16. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

Unfortunately, when dealing with coins, there is always someone trying to get the better of you. Misrepresented items, counterfeits and poor evaluations are the stock in trade for a lot of people involved in this business. I agree that $20 is a cheap lesson. I hope the WAM and the DDO,s cover your costs.

I pity the seller. I mean he must have a really poor and desperate life to cheat someone out of a lousy 20 bucks ? Go figure ?

Topcat nailed it. Anger doesn't affect the seller, but it affects you. Move past it.

17. justafarmer

justafarmer Senior Member

Could be the store owner didn't know how much money was in the bag either. If the bag contained more than $35.00 in change would you have given the overage back?

18. coinman0456

coinman0456 Coin Collector

As was stated earlier, " being mad isn't going to change the situation. No pun intended. Sounds as if this is a local neighborhood liquor store. He didn't want to roll for a bank deposit. If they were unwilling to get an exact count for you, I would not so easily be willing to shuck out 55.00 . Lesson taught, lesson learned ?

19. coin-crazy

As I look at it, Im content because I got 7 double dies that I didnt have until that bad transaction. Money well spent.Oh, one coin might be a ''new double die''.:hail:

20. chip

chip Novice collector

+1

21. DoK U Mint

DoK U Mint In Odd we Trust

Are You

Are you MAD?

What else do you do?

Draft saved Draft deleted