Should Green18 go back to his old icon

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Cheech9712, Sep 15, 2018.

?

Should he change

1. Yes

69.0%
  2. No

31.0%
  1. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

When I use my scope, it's a 12" Meade LX200.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

How difficult is it to use this one for astro?

Edit: Oh, wait... it's computerized, so I assume this is how you're able to locate whatever it is you're imaging?

4. Clawcoins

Yes, it's computerized. But I've been doing it since the 80s so you're kinda used to know where to look throughout the year. Plus, I have a cell phone SkyView paid app for when my brain doesn't work which seems to be most of the time lately .. "convenience" is such as waste of brain matter.

5. BooksB4Coins

Forgive my ignorance, but I was talking more about fine tuning than general location, or does the mentioned app integrate with the telescope for such things as well?

I've been reading on (telescope) astrophotography lately and is why I'm curious. In fact I recently read something about the difficulty of locating smaller (in context) celestial objects with more narrow scopes such as yours.

6. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Books , you might check out Yahoos Groups ( science\astronomy groups) as there are large and varied groups. I belong to several of the Meade groups, but other scopes ( less popular) have groups there also. There is a Meade group dedicated to upgrading the older non GPS Meades to use GPS. Probably Claw read them also. I Have a LX200 classic 10in, and use to live on the edge of town, and then town and a high school football stadium spread around me, so there is only one section of the sky I can see well. There is also a good forum called
    https://www.cloudynights.com/index

Numinaut likes this.
  7. Clawcoins

I'm used to it.

I went from a 1250mm Meade 90ETX to a 1900mm 125 ETX, to the 2050mm LX 200 12"

You adjust the spotting scope to fine tune things. But truthfully I use the top screw and look straight up the OTA to get the tube to approximately the specific location if I don't have my star computer on. I usually have a camera plugged in the back (Nikon D750 or D500 etc) which I can just use that screen if I want to to put what ever object in the middle.

Once you've done it enough times it become more second nature.

Matter of fact, I got a 1250 90etx OTA as one of my spotting scopes LOL and for lunar images.

Yup, upgarde my original classic electronics to the newer Dudash GPS stuff including the talking controller. LOL

I live right next to a school and city park. My view is unobstructed from east, to south, northeast and west. Of course the lights are another matter nowadays. I haven't traveled far in the last couple years but plan on doing it again. My scope is quite heavy and haven't been able to lift it again yet.

8. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Shoot........I just used an 85mm on mine........:)

9. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Get with it Green!!! Join the Space Patrol!

green18 likes this.
  10. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

HEY. What about the OP's original question????

11. Idries Pappas

Idries Pappas Well-Known Member

poll says 68.8% want @green18 to change his avatar to his former one...

12. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Great line from the movie The Odd Couple. While playing cards someone asks what kind of sandwiches Oscar has, he replies "Green sandwiches and brown sandwiches". When asked what the green sandwiches are, his response is "Either very good cheese or very bad meat."

green18 and Nathan401 like this.
  13. Idries Pappas

Idries Pappas Well-Known Member

72.2% now...

14. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

15. Clawcoins

Do you use the same bag on the head on facebook?
    There's someone on facebook I saw a while ago with the exact same avatar; comedian too if I recall.

16. BooksB4Coins

Thank you!

I'm just beginning this journey and at this point is mostly trying to get a feel for it something I'd like to peruse, so there's much I'm not very clear on. Coming from a photography background it's already hard for me to wrap my head about mirror lenses, and simply because of their shortcomings in terrestrial use. OCD strikes again... ;)

Logically though, I do understand the differences and benefits even if much more learning is necessary before any decision is made. What interests me most would be deep space imaging as opposed to more "local" targets, and is something I'm not yet sure is viable. I've seen what more-advanced others have accomplished and do understand the effort required though.

By any chance are you familiar with the real-world benefits of using a dedicated cooled astro-camera as opposed mirrorless or DSLR? Also, and perhaps this is a dumb question due to my missing something, but how does one learn the imaging circle of individual telescopes?

17. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Shouldn't you of started your own photography thread. Did you read the Op's original question.

18. BooksB4Coins

First, you're the OP (Original Poster), and had you bothered to read your own thread you'd know I've already responded in context.

As for the supposed off-subject discussion, you started a thread essentially to complain about someone else changing their avatar (ironic since you don't even use one), and perhaps missed the fact that Green changed his avatar to a photo he took himself and is proud of. Maybe, just maybe this is where the photography angle came from....

Sorry, but I'm not going to tell the man what he should do, just as I don't tell you what to do when you flood threads with post after post after post instead of combining them into one like most everyone else manages to do. Obviously no harm was intended, cheech... don't push unless you want a little pushback.

ldhair likes this.
  19. green18

Also Chris Rock..........'Don't eat meat? Don't eat green meat'........:)

20. green18

I don't do Face Book.........

21. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

That's a really cool image green18. Catching something like that is pretty cool.

green18 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted