Should coins with too many chops be discounted?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by goldrealmoney79, Dec 13, 2020.

1. goldrealmoney79

goldrealmoney79 Active Member

I know trade dollars have chop marks, and that there is crowd that collects them and I understand the appeal. I myself like a coin with thoughtfully placed chop. However the problem I have is there are some coins with so many chops that details of the coin are obscured severely. If you get too many on one side then the other side gets damaged from all metal movement as well. These coins with too many chops have so many details and beauty lost that they should be sold at a severe discount. Am i wrong to think so? Do you think there should be a premium for too many chops?
    For example this one below is being marketed as monster chop marks, but I dont see the appeal to all the damage.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1874-CC-T-1-Chop-Mark-Trade-Dollar-PCGS-XF-45-Extra-Fine-to-AU-Monster-Chop-M/

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

A seller can make any claim in his marketing that he wants - doesn't make it valid. I would run away from this fast but then I'm not a collector of chop-marked Trade Dollars and don't know anything about that market.

But here's a more pertinent question: If there are so many chop marks that you cannot distinguish the original coin, how do you know it's an original coin? The counterfeiters make lots of fake Trade Dollars, what's to prevent them from chop-marking a fake one and trying to flog it as genuine?

4. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

WoW ! That's a total destruction of a coin in my opinion.

5. YoloBagels

YoloBagels Well-Known Member

I've seen some coins with so many chop marks that they have become "cupped." It's my understanding that those still go for a premium.

What I like about chopmarks is that it shows how much history is behind the coin. That's mostly why people pay premiums for them. When it comes to heavily stamped coins like the one pictured the history is most likely what the buyer is paying for.

I see why you don't like it, I actually agree with you that the eye appeal is pretty bad. The seller is asking for too much IMO unless 1874 CC is some kind of key date in the series.

6. SensibleSal66

I don't know. Maybe one or two is OK, for me anyways but what do I know, lol .

7. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Why do you care? Let me give you three reasons why I wouldn’t
    1) damaged coin
    2) absolutely no eye appeal
    3) PCGS certified ;-)

Crate Digga and Beefer518 like this.
  8. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

Uncertified. I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. Besides that, it's WAY WAY overpriced for the condition it's in.

9. SensibleSal66

Condition. What condition. It's destroyed now in my opinion .

Mainebill likes this.
  10. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

The OP initial question "...should they be discounted..."? Everything that is for sale anywhere in the world is discounted to the point where someone will buy it. If we don't want to pay that much we don't buy it.

YoloBagels likes this.
  11. SensibleSal66

Ohh, that reminds me. Who has gone without Chinese food because of COVID19 ? It's like the Chinese Virus .

12. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

@Inspector43 reminded me that I didn't actually address the OP's question. IMO, the chop marked Trade Dollar market is a small niche market where the value of something is entirely determined by the unique and particular desires of a very small set of collectors. What they want cannot really be determined by any kind of "market analysis" since there is not a big enough market to determine "market values". So, you ask "... should there be a severe discount". From what? I would counterpoint. You ask "...should there be a premium for too many chops?" Again, from what? I suggest the only way to get a feel for this kind of thing is to research auction sites which is where the unique, niche, and rare stuff is usually sold. Since this is being offered on eBay, I would guess the seller does not believe he can get any kind of premium or even a hearing at Heritage or Great Collections and has resorted to selling it on eBay where he can use the usual deceptive superlatives to cloud the mind. And that's assuming it's an honest coin.

So, here's my question to you: "Are you really interested in buying this particular coin or just chop marked Trade Dollars in general or was your question academic?"

Inspector43 likes this.
  13. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Chop marks are Damage. A seller can ask any price but it's the buyer that sets the price.

Mainebill, YoloBagels and Inspector43 like this.
  14. MIGuy

MIGuy Supporter! Supporter

Not us, we get Wangs delivered, they have the BEST egg rolls. As to the OP, I like some chop marks, and I like them on certified coins best of all.

15. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I just ordered chicken chow mein from my favorite oriental carry-out, #1 Wok, two weeks ago.

Inspector43 likes this.
  16. cpm9ball

I'd like to know how PCGS can determine the grade. Do they just examine the areas that haven't been affected or do they just use their "grading dartboard"?

17. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Has it been delivered yet?

JCKTJK and tibor like this.
  18. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

There is a group of collectors that collect these coins. They're a neat
    collectable. They were pretty cheap on show circuit back in the 80's.
    They've gained quite a bit of respect in the ensuing years.

yakpoo likes this.
  19. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

That coin is a disaster if you ask me. One or two I can see. Chopped to death like this one I wouldn’t want for any price

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  20. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

I don't argue that it's a coin that's seen significant alterations post-Mint. At the same time, chop marks are a significant part of this particular coin's history...sorta like the destination stickers on an old steamer trunk. If it's authentic, I can understand the appeal. The seller seems reputable, too.

vintage-steamer-trunk-3.jpg

21. cpm9ball

I live only one mile from them, so I just jog over to pick it up.

Inspector43 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted