Shortcross penny but which King ?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by clanger, May 26, 2019.

1. clanger

clanger Well-Known Member

I recently found this penny whilst metal detecting, but can't work out which King it is, my books just don't show any like it. I know the mint is Norwich, but the Spinks book says the moneyer which is Willelm was only operating in Norwich during King Richard I's reign. But it looks nowt like a Richard I penny. So could it be Henry II, John or Henry III? Any help would be much appreciated !

Attached Files:

TheRed, Ryro and Marsyas Mike like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Suarez

Suarez Well-Known Member

That looks like Henry II! Wow, to be so lucky to have these out sprinkled in my backyard......

4. clanger

Wish I were lucky enough to have them sprinkled in the garden, it'd save me a bike ride as it is I'll have to get back there and see if there's more!:happy:

5. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Quite the find! Can we see the reverse too? I don’t have my Spink book handy at the moment, but why are we dismissing Richard?

6. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

That is a nice fine @clanger congrats! Your penny perfectly illustrates the joy yet frustration of the small cross coinage. You are right that Willelm only struck coins at Norwich as part of class 4 for Richard and I agree that it doesn't look like a class 4 penny. When I look at the obverse I think it is probably 1a, which would make it Willelm from Northampton. Both mints used the NOR abbreviation. Just my somewhat educated guess.

FitzNigel likes this.
  7. clanger

Thanks for that! The fog has lifted, that explains the confusion in the coin books, putting Norwich and Northampton together. Must return and find some more!

8. clanger

Apologies for the non reverse pic, must have got lost in space! All corrected now. I didn't think it was Richard as the portrait isn't that crude.

FitzNigel likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted