Shortage of Coins due to Corona Virus?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by fretboard, Jul 16, 2020.

1. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Wait, when did this (attempt) happen?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

"It"?

4. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

It's been hard to spend money this year. Other than going to the store every few weeks and using card at gas pump I haven't been getting much change in. Nowhere to go. Shop online.

5. Beardigger

Beardigger Well-Known Member

Furry......I bet there are a few banks in your area that will want the pennies. Seems the shortage is mostly Pennies and Quarters. You might want to make a couple calls and find out who needs them . Bet you could get rid of all the 2019's pretty easily.

6. JamesCharles69

JamesCharles69 New Member

Hello, So I have a question but don't exactly know where to ask. I have some coins I found from a laundry mat that has been corroded for years, I cleaned some as they are only face value but seen that many of them are discolored. For example the dimes look like pennies, I cleaned it many times over but the color stays. I believe it may have been from the vinegar I used but I did another batch and the coins turned out fine using the vinegar. I use a rock tumbler to clean them with using soap, some salt, vinegar and CLR also with water. Anyways I want to know if they still hold their face value. Also happened to quarters and nickels.

7. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I'm heading out tomorrow for my weekly pick up. I'm going to see if they would be willing to trade out some of my 2019Ps for other circulated boxes they may get... I was planning on dumping at another branch but they closed down last week due to an employee catching covid.

8. Beardigger

Beardigger Well-Known Member

intact boxes are not really "dumping" think of it "supplying".
    Maybe they will trade you 2 for 1...trade 1 box and sell one more to them.

9. furryfrog02

I like your mindset. Glass half full. I've not had that mindset in quite a few months...

10. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Welcome to the neighborhood, James!

It's always best for you to start your own thread, especially when your inquiry is on a different subject. You'll get a lot more responses that way.

Coins that have been in circulation for many years can turn all kinds of colors depending on the environmental conditions they were subjected to. One of our metal detecting members @paddyman98 can show you photos of many of his detecting finds that have turned all sorts of colors.

The coins shouldn't lose their face value just because you cleaned them. ~ Chris

paddyman98 likes this.
  11. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

The clad on Quarters, Dimes and Half Dollars are composed of 75% Copper and 25% Nickel.. Once it tones it won't go back to its original luster. Nickels also are composed of Cupro-Nickel.

Here are metal detected finds -
    20190504_174319-1.jpg 20171224_140434.jpg KenObv.jpg KenRev.jpg 20190316_113034-1.jpg

12. furryfrog02

No luck.

13. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Slightly Off-Topic

Yesterday, I made the short trip to the county office building to renew my tag. With the virus still hanging around, they now make us wait in line outside (sort of like triage) before you are directed to the specific location to serve your needs. While I was waiting, a Loomis guard walked by, and I (jokingly) asked him if he had any West Point Mint quarters. (No response)

It wasn't long before I was allowed inside, and the employee directed me to a self-service machine for tag renewals. It only accepts credit/debit cards or cash (no change). I don't know why they didn't switch over to this system years ago because it really speeds up the process.

Anyway, I had 90c change coming to me and the machine has a coin return about the same size as a Coin Star. There is no return slot for paper money. The three quarters were bright and shiny, uncirculated 2019-P San Antonio Mission. Nope! They weren't West Point'ers, but I was almost tempted to put in another $20 to see what would happen. ~ Chris

furryfrog02 likes this.
  14. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

It must be the metro area that you have such luck paddyman all I find is wire, bolts, other metal objects and one penny duh...

15. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

I don't think it's so much the redeeming of the coins and such as much as it was the month of the shutdown interrupting the supply chain, and there needing to be 2-3 people working armored carrier pickups and drop offs for security concerns.

Of course some of it has to do with banks being closed and businesses being shut down and people not really having a place to normally dump their change, but I think it has a bit more to do with the supply chain interruption in general and staffing concerns from the armored carriers that are supposed to be making the deliveries.

16. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

May 21, 1965, legislation was introduced by Senator Alan Bible(D) of Nevada.

17. Bill H.

Bill H. Active Member

Have you thought about ordering an equal amount of halves? Yes, you'll need a FEW more dimes but not much more. There are PLENTY of half dollars in bank vaults waiting to be circulated.

18. -jeffB

See? The lockdown is protecting public health. ;)

xCoin-Hoarder'92x likes this.
  19. h.e.-pennypacker

h.e.-pennypacker Gold and Silver!

If you’re strictly looking for silver, you can just dump all your coin in the Coinstar machine and it will kick out the silver doing all the work for you

I’m an avid coin roll hunter but I don’t do it this way, I just saw a YouTube video on it.

20. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I've heard that before but I wouldn't trust one if there machines to do it for me. I'd rather donit myself. :smuggrin:

21. h.e.-pennypacker

h.e.-pennypacker Gold and Silver!

Yeah I would too, plus there are other things to look for potentially more valuable than silver.

Draft saved Draft deleted