Short Snorter

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Bmagold, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Bmagold

Bmagold Active Member

I want to find out about this. I have the bills from various countries from WW2 witch have been sepertated, not by me, but was taped together, about 12 ft long at one time with signatures on various bills, mostly China with a few from India, from Belgium Congo, Trinidad & Tobago, Egypt, Brazil, East Africa I think that is all the countries. 22 notes total in various denomination, condition with remnants of tape on each bill. I will post pictures and get signatures listed as I see them at another time later today. I am wanting opinions of weather the value has been affected drastically due to the separating of the notes and whatever information I can get about the practice called Short Snorter.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

The notes were already damaged when someone taped them together.

Chris

4. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

If you research the forum youll find a thread I posted years ago on short snorter noted .
    It was common pratice to tape the notes end to end and roll them up to slip into your pocket. As Chris stated the tape used did destroy any value to the notes except that they were part of your dad, grand dads life durring the war years.
    The old tape did yellow and crack over time leaving the notes ends a mess. Where the center of the note was sometimes like new.
    I gave 5he notes back to the wall pilot wife to pass on to family...This is where they need be so everyone remembers his service.

5. Paddy54

20190922_094925.jpg Here's a Cuban short shorter note from 1943 20190922_094846.jpg 20190922_094900.jpg

6. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

Wow, did I ever have the wrong idea when I saw the thread title. "Short Snorter"
    I thought... not another ridiculous name for a Lincoln cent error, or about a small person with (ahem) other problems. :wideyed: ;)

7. Paddy54

Learned something new eh?

8. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

Yep, and very glad it wasn't another cent variety.

Paddy54 likes this.
  9. lettow

lettow Senior Member

I have hundreds of short snorters. The value lies in the group. There is a little difference in value if they were still taped together.

Based on the countries you indicated it probably belonged to someone in the Air Transport Command that flew the hump from India to China. The route into theater was US-Caribbean-Brazil-West Africa-East Africa-Iran-India-China.

10. Brina

Brina Well-Known Member

I thought a "snorter" was a bill used to sniff drugs...

11. Harpo

Harpo Missing in Action

12. Paddy54

13. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

The tape on any bill makes the bill damaged and lowers the value. A high profile signature may increase the value but on a damaged bill it needs to be a famous person.

A rolled bill is called a snorter to sniff drugs. I'm still laughing at that one @Brina, thank you.

14. montynj3417

montynj3417 Active Member

Every year, when my spouse and I and a bunch of our friends (8- 10 of us) go out for dinner on New Years,I almost always have brought a $2 bill that everyone is asked to sign with a black, fine point pen to commemorate the festivities. If anyone asks what it is, I always tell them that it's a "short snorter" that shows them being there; still sober enough to write their name and to commemorate the evening of fun.

Paddy54 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted