Shopping for coins in Tokyo

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by KSorbo, Nov 23, 2019.

1. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

I just got back from visiting my company’s sister plant in Shizuoka Prefecture and was fortunate to have some time to explore Tokyo. I couldn’t resist visiting a couple of local coin shops while I was there. One, Ginza Coins, was near the main Ginza shopping district and had a fair number of high end PCGS Japanese Imperial gold and world coins, along with a nice modern selection. Their markup seemed a bit high which would correspond with their location. The other was a more local shop tucked away on the fourth floor of a difficult to find address in Shinjuku. I had to ask around even while using Google Maps.

I wasn’t in the market to spend big money and mainly was looking for souvenirs. In addition to experiencing Japanese coin shops (unfortunately with a language barrier) I ended up with some decent deals, especially considering the shipping costs when buying similar material on EBay.

Both shops had a lot of reasonably priced proof sets, including this 1994 for 1500 yen which isn’t bad for over 600 yen face value.

6E47AE9A-0ED4-4948-9DD5-CA5E0F38CE38.jpeg

7EFED7AC-E192-4AC1-BFAA-82E50698853A.jpeg 2F8D5E03-C58F-462C-BB81-CC3EF7A9AD0B.jpeg

And here I paid 1500 yen for 1000 yen face for a couple 1988 commemoratives in OGP:

91172B2A-7F06-4EEA-B549-F4F875ECE9DE.jpeg 579D351A-55D0-4A27-9519-801A75A5E3AF.jpeg 1C4DADBF-BB95-4331-9021-B7D46577875E.jpeg

And since I was traveling to Shizuoka I found a perfect souvenir for 2000 yen, from the “47 Prefectures” coin program:
    3D8657AF-4A61-42B9-BF21-04AB63EAE9BE.jpeg 4C999CA0-801A-46B9-87AC-BFD5F1B53FE2.jpeg 14A8692C-C710-4206-9F53-E608910A5521.jpeg

Lastly some postwar obsolete banknotes:

DEABAC4F-31EC-4F07-BE28-2B2C8EEAAEEA.jpeg

Not a high value haul but the memories are priceless.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Colby J.

Colby J. Well-Known Member

nice yen. or should I say en.

KSorbo likes this.
  4. ja59

ja59 Missing the Beach just not as much as ...

Very cool! Thanks for sharing

KSorbo likes this.
  5. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

Fantastic! What a great trip! I look at the Ginza Coins site once in a while and I would love to visit them someday, but the markup that you mentioned doesn't really surprise me. At this point, I speak enough Japanese to "get by" and I could probably make it through a coin shop purchase, but I have yet to visit Japan. Hearing about visits such as yours makes my trip urges burgeon. Thanks for sharing!

By the way, did you happen to catch any new Reiwa coins in circulation? They should have the characters "令和元年" on them.

KSorbo likes this.
  6. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

Unfortunately not. I have a couple new looking 100 yen coins from year 30. Is that 2019/last year of Akihito?

This year’s mint sets were going for 3500 yen which I thought was steep for circulating coins, so I really couldn’t justify the purchase. Not sure if they were Reiwa.

Ginza also had a lot of cheap pre Meiji coins. I’m not into those but if I was it would have been a good place to buy attributed coins that I could be sure are genuine.

ewomack likes this.
  7. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

I should also share this recent EBay auction purchase which I bought from a US seller in anticipation of my trip:

35AE7085-18E2-4526-8F4D-A2A8CE827777.jpeg A3A98B93-FB75-4B23-96CF-E87AB90A6DF8.jpeg

ewomack and Stork like this.
  8. Mkman123

Mkman123 Well-Known Member

lovely yen!!!! If I ever go to Tokyo, I definitely wanna hit up Ginza coins and see what they have!

KSorbo likes this.
  9. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I am envious

KSorbo likes this.
  10. Stork

Stork I deliver

I seethe with jealousy. I only made it to a couple coin shops in my time there, as well as the big show in Tokyo, which was an excellent experience.

One thing I wish I'd known about was the Currency Museum. I had no idea it existed when I was there. https://www.imes.boj.or.jp/cm/english/

Someday I hope to get back to Japan...lovely and fascinating country.

KSorbo likes this.
  11. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Very interesting why the OGP is printed in both Japanese and English.

Nice additions to a collection. Thanks for posting.

KSorbo likes this.
  12. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

Wow, now I’m bummed out that I didn’t go to that. I looked at the link and it’s right around the corner from where I was staying.

13. Stork

Stork I deliver

I lived a train ride away for 4 years and didn't know it :(

KSorbo likes this.
  14. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

The last year of Akihito is year 31, or "平成三十一年" or "平成31年." So 2019 coins will have either that or the Reiwa characters I typed above.

Looking at past Emperor change-overs, the outgoing Emperor's coins have far less mintage than the incoming, but that doesn't mean that will be the case in 2019. I haven't seen any mintage figures yet. The 2020 JNDA Catalog doesn't list them, either.

Stork and KSorbo like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted