Shopping Eisenhowsers

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by cplradar, Mar 5, 2021.

1. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Doesn't look gem to me. Also the title says taken from a mint set and further down 165 sold, must have opened a lot of sets. I am sure there are better specimens available around that price. JMO

capthank likes this.
  4. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't buy them raw like this the price is right it would look very different when it arrives.

5. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I have a bit of a different take and I readily admit that I have a soft spot for Ike's. I have two full sets and they played a big role in firing up my numismatic fires as a youngster so my take is a bit slanted.... I would agree that eleven bucks isn't really a steal for the coin. But I also believe these Ike's are starting to generate some numismatic interest finally. A big, hunky, dripping wet proof Ike for eleven bucks??... If I needed the coin, I would jump on it.

6. coinup

coinup Junior Member

I think I'd shop for silver comp at that price....

7. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

For an extra five bucks or a little more you can buy one in the OGP in much better condition probably.its your choice though,the blue toners are actually quite attractive.

capthank likes this.
  8. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Just going to say the price includes the cost of shipping, which is most likely going to cost the seller around $3. So it's an $8 Ike in the real world on your end - and remember, the seller has to pay fees, so it's a $7 sale for them.

Yes, I feel like you could find one for a few dollars less elsewhere, or even less as part of a huge buy (as in, buying a bunch of proof sets at a discounted rate from someone who wants to move a bunch of inventory.) A full 1975/1976 Proof Set is still a $10-11 Numismedia FMV, so a coin shop will probably want something close to this - but then you're getting the whole set, and you can pick one with a nice Ike.

If you're just wanting to buy ONE Ike for a set, it's not a terribly outrageous price. Personally, I'd look around for one where I know exactly which coin I'm buying (because there is a great range in quality with these 70's-80's proof coins, and a lot of them are milk-spotted or cloudy.)

I'm also one of those people who'd rather buy a ton of proof/mint sets for a super discounted price (quite a few dealers have offered me common proof/mint sets at 2x face value, seriously, because they just sit around taking up space for them) and picking the gems out for my own sets (or to send in for grading, or to sell later for a bit more of a premium, or just maybe to photograph for practice.)

JMHO, hope it helps inform your decision

UncleScroge likes this.
  9. John Johnson

John Johnson Well-Known Member

Coin World puts the value at $10.00. On ebay you're probably about as close as you'll get. But, personally, I would just buy the silver bicentennial set. You can get it for $24.00 on ebay right now and it includes all three silver coins.

10. bikergeek

bikergeek Active Member

I've bought proof coins (not Ikes) from that seller to fill the proof holes in a few Danscos I own. He busts out a LOT of proof sets and sells coins individually or in series. I suspect that he sends in the top coins hoping for an MS-70 and sells the rest. But I've never gotten a bad one from him and they look great in my Danscos.

11. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

The listing states.
    "You are buying a beautiful proof coin very similar to the pictures."

Mac McDonald and CoinCorgi like this.
  12. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

I take it for granted that he is cherry picking, but I don't see where to get Ikes, although I do like the idea of getting batches of proof sets. How does one dig those out?

13. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

Probably a good coin for an album, but i agree with others that nicer ones are available for around the same money but I prefer a higher graded example in a slab for a bit more money.

14. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

You can still buy a PCGS PR69 DCAM 11 coin set for $325. That price hasn't changed in over a decade, despite the rising price of silver.

15. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Slabbed is better in my opinion.

16. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

Just me, but I don't/won't buy representative coins of any type, save from the mint. Too many indeed have NOT looked like the photo coin for one reason or another. One exception might be from a trusted seller with a good rapport established between you. I have often included a pre-purchase (contact the seller) question or a note with the purchase...those who are courteous enough to kindly/accurately reply usually turn out well. Those who don't...or don't even acknowledge/reply...I don't mess with, or maybe they're just too big for my kind of customer service.

cplradar and ldhair like this.
  17. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

I would agree, but in this case, it is not that much money.

18. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

19. whopper64

whopper64 Well-Known Member

I tend to buy raw coins from smaller sellers who show the actual coin being sold. Too many reasons (not good) to pass on "sample" photos. Just my preference.

ldhair and Mac McDonald like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted