Shopgoodwill fraud?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Chuck_A, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Chuck_A

Chuck_A Well-Known Member

These people seem to have an unusual amount of fake /counterfeit coins and they are relentless in confusing the sales using false item descriptions and not disclosing the precious metals content.

'Majestic 1921 Morgan Dollar Coin 26.8 grams" shopgoodwill.com/item/79179150

I think it's a counterfeit, not long ago they were selling very rare Chinese Silver Coins as authentic and it was easy to tell the difference that they were not. I won't buy anything from them but I watch some of the auctions and people are getting ripped off for thousands of dollars for junk. This is one example of many. I'm unable to copy and paste the link.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Definitely a counterfeit Morgan Dollar.

Chuck_A likes this.
  4. 352sdeer

352sdeer Collecting Lincoln cents for 50 years!

Caveat Emptor first and foremost. I don’t think the Goodwill people are trying to rip anyone off. Their business is selling the items that people drop off it their donation stations and store donation depots. Because most of their items they receive are general household goods I just think that they are not experts at specialized collectibles like coins. If you look at their coin auction listings you’ll notice the general lack of any kind of in-depth descriptions. I don’t think this is deliberate but the result of the person doing the posting to their site not knowing anything about them. I would bet that person is not a coin collector but does know that coins have good value for the organization and as such lists them to great success for the companies bottom line. I would not buy any coins from them myself but I know better. Again Caveat Emptor!

Reed.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    Chuck_A likes this.
  5. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Goodwill has absolutely no business offering items like coins. All it can do is damage their reputation.

EyeAppealingCoins and Chuck_A like this.
  6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

My local Goodwill does not sell coins.

Chuck_A likes this.
  7. 352sdeer

352sdeer Collecting Lincoln cents for 50 years!

Your probably right they don’t have any business being in the coin business. But that begs the question what do they do with the coins they receive? Sell them at a big drop from retail to a coin dealer so he or she can make a big profit. That’s not their business model I would think. They are in the business of selling the items they receive and making a profit to run the organization and help people with jobs and training so what are they to do I ask?

Reed.

Chuck_A likes this.
  8. Mike185

Mike185 Well-Known Member

Google the CEO of good will. Take 50% of all profits for salary. My wife can really tell you all about it. She had her mid term paper for her master degree on them. She gets Into it big time!!!!

Chuck_A likes this.
  9. Chuck_A

I told this store 3 times that it was a counterfeit and to check it with their precious metals analysis equipment and I'm sure they know it's counterfeit they just don't care "Caveat Emptor" is a sad thing for newer collectors who don't know the difference. This isn't an isolated case with them and they are not as ignorant as one may think. I hope some of you contact them and reiterate that it is a counterfeit.

10. Chuck_A

It damages the people that pay for the junk as well. I collect guitars too and found some nice ones there and when I started collecting coins sales like this one are commonplace, I tell them they are fake, if they advertised them as fakes I wouldn't care. The hobbies act comes into play too and they are breaking the law. There are far more crooks than collectors.

11. Chuck_A

For silver coins like this one at the very least they should check out the silver content. They all have precious metals analysis equipment and on this sale they're ignoring the fact that it is a fake.

12. Chuck_A

I'll bet there's one near you. Goodwill is a local venue and shopgoodwill is run by e-commerce.

13. Chuck_A

14. Collecting Nut

I have 3 that are within easy driving distance. 1 has an auction, every week or two but that 16 miles from the house. The other two are closer but non of them sells coins. I'm there all the time for my antique business.

15. Chuck_A

I would love to read her mid-term paper. These people are no less than organized crime and need to be stopped.

16. Collecting Nut

17. Chuck_A

I just thought it was a fake too, it just popped up as a new listing and nothing else was intended I should have added it somwhere else, i'm newer here. Apologies.

18. Collecting Nut

No worries. You'll get the hang of it. :)

19. Lugia

Lugia ye olde UScoin enthusiast

ive seen silver (not coins) at donation centers before but never goodwill. the person who donated it probably knew it was phony in the first place. you cant really damage the reputation of a place that sells stuff when they pay nothing for it.

Draft saved Draft deleted