Shogun's top 10 of '21

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by IMP Shogun, Nov 22, 2021.

?

Pick your three favorites (Chronological)

1. Republican Denarius - Dioscuri

2. Republican Denarius - L. Saufeius

3. Augustus TVLLVS As

4. Trajan Denarius

5. Hadrian Denarius

6. M. Aurelius Denarius

7. Carausius or More Cowbell

8. Diocletian

9. Constantine

10. Magnus Maximus Siliqua

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. IMP Shogun

IMP Shogun Well-Known Member

Greetings,

This is my top 10 list for 2021 - I tried to create a sample of what I collected. The list is in chronological order of when I believe the coins were struck.

This year I did purchase my first Republican coins and this corner of my team has expanded nicely in 2021, here are two (ok, just edging out the others to be my favorite Republicans!):

0.001 Crawford 198.1 Anonymous Denarius.jpg
    Anonymous denarius Crawford 198/1 Dioscuri 157 -156 B.C.E. Roma
    Helmeted head of Roma right; X to left.
    The Dioscuri, each holding spear, on horseback right; two stars above; ROMA in exergue.
    18.0mm 3.98g 9h

0.003 Crawford 204.1 L. Saufeius Denarius.jpg
    Roman Republican L. Saufeius denarius Crawford 204/1 Victory 152 B.C.E. Roma
    Helmeted head of Roma right; X behind
    L. SAVF Roma, Victory driving biga to right, L.SAVF below
    From the DePew Collection by way of John Anthony.
    18.0mm 3.93g 11h

I love this type for some reason, the bitcoin of their day to drive the common transactions of the Imperial Empire. These are rarely in good condition given the circulation wear and sometimes crudely made - I was pleasantly surprised to see it as the Wildwinds example:

1.101 RIC 436 Augustus As .jpg
    Augustus 27 B.C.–14 A.D. as RIC I 436 Tullus 7 B.C.E. Roma
    Bare head left [CAESAR AVG]VST PONT MAX TRIBVN[IC POT]
    M MAE[CILIVS TVLLVS III] VIR A A A F F Legend around large S C
    Ex Helios 5 (25 June 2010), lot 211; Gorny & Mosch 118 (15 October 2002), lot 1991
    28.5mm 11.75g

Luckier than Augustus and better than Trajan! Trajan is my favorite to collect, and remarkable times for the 100-year old empire. Between building projects and border expansion Trajan is well known for social spending with this coin referencing Alimenta or subsistence payments made to orphans. Duncan-Jones, R. (1964). The Purpose and Organisation of the Alimenta. Papers of the British School at Rome, 32(1), 123-146. doi:10.1017/S0068246200007261.

Truly fascinating that this battle has been going on since, well - forever!

3.244 RIC II 332 Trajan Denarius.jpg
    Trajan 98-117 A.D. Denarius RIC II 243 Alim Ital 112-114 Roma
    Laureate bust right, slight drapery IMP TRAIANO AVG GER DAC P M TR P COS VI P P
    S P Q R OPTIMO PRINCIPI; ALIM ITAL in exergue
    Annona standing left, holding grain ears and cornucopia; to left, child standing facing, head right
    See also Woytek 395b–1 and RSC 9 ALIM ITAL
    19.5mm 3.36g 7h

I need more Hadrian like a "Don't Fear the Reaper" needs more Cowbell.:

3.305 RIC 77 Hadrian Denarius.jpg
    Hadrian 117–138 A.D. denarius RIC II.3 722 Roma 124-125 Roma
    laureate head to right, slight drapery on right shoulder - HADRIANVS AVGVSTVS
    COS III; Roma standing to left, holding Victory and spear
    19.0mm 3.04g 6h

Fine style portrait makes up for the weak reverse for this denarius to land on my list:

3.502 RIC 70 Aurelius Denarius.jpg
    Marcus Aurelius 161–180 A.D. denarius RIC 70 Providentia 162 Roma
    Bare head of Marcus Aurelius to right. IMP M ANTONINVS AVG
    PROV DEOR TR P XVII COS III; Providentia standing front, head to left, holding globe in her right hand and cornucopiae in her left.
    18.0mm 3.41g 12h

The story of Carausius is amazing - a commander for the Tetrarchy who created an independent Romano-British empire held together with a mix of legions and mercenaries after he was sentenced to death. The Brits have always liked their independence it seems! Whatever history recalls of him is likely tainted by propaganda but he must've been a somewhat competent military leader to fend off Diocletian's Hercules:

5.670 RIC V 881 Carausius ant.jpg
    Crisis of the Third Century Carausius 286-293 A.D. RIC V 881 Pax Unknown
    radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right IMP CARAVSIVS P AVG PAX AVG
    Pax standing left, holding branch and vertical sceptre
    20.0mm 3.00g 6h

This year was a banner year for adding coins of the Tetrarchy. I'd put Ticinum ahead of Aquaelia as the two mints that produced fine styles:

6.012 RIC VI 33a Diocletian follis.jpg
    Diocletian 284-305 A.D. Follis RIC VI 33a Genius 298-299 Ticinum
    Laureate head right IMP C DIOCLETIANVS PF AVG
    GENIO POPV-LI ROMANI; Genius standing left, holding patera and cornucopia; *|-//PT• 1st officina
    28.0mm 10.45g 6h

Large, early Constantine nummus (or is it follis...) I feel like carving some Chi Rho's into those flags, you know he wanted to. Love him or hate him, this is a great area to collect given the dynamics behind his reign, the mints, styles and availability. I'm particular fond of these large, early ones before Constantine realized the same economic outcome could be achieved with less metal:

7.034 RIC VI 781 Constantine Follis.jpg
    Constantine Dynasty Constantine I 307-337 A.D. nummus RIC VI 781 307-308 Treveri
    laureate and cuirassed bust to right IMP CONSTANTINVS P F AVG PRINCIPI
    IVVENTVTIS; Emperor standing to left, holding two standards; S-A across fields, PTR in exergue
    25.0mm 8.11g 5h

2021 appears to be the year of the [British-"ish"] Usurper for me, but better described as the year of the siliqua. Magnus Maximus was eventually defeated near Aquileia by Theodosius and... Alaric - how different would the world be if he won! The rarity allows me to overlook the reverse weakness, that isn't a shaky hand but the flow lines of the coins, they were pumping these out:

9.150 RIC IX 54a Magnus Maximus Siliqua.jpg
    Magnus Maximus 383-388 A.D. siliqua RIC IX 54a Roma 387-388 Aquileia
    Pearl-diademed, draped, and cuirassed bust right DN MAG MA-XIMVS PF AVG
    VIRTVS RO-MANORVM; Roma seated facing, head left, on throne, holding globe and scepter; AQPS.
    17.0mm 3.53g 7h

Those are 10 of my coins in a year where I learned quite a bit about ancient coins. Love to hear any of your thoughts or see your coins. I still have to find a Hadrian Sestertius that I like and can afford the - the collectors dilemma. In 2022 I hope to fill more gaps in my Imperial collection with plenty of room for provincials, and the enter the elusive Anglo-Saxon era.

I'd also like to add a Greek Tet from Athens (change my mind with another mint!)

Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

For some reason the portrait and color of the Augustus really strikes me. Huge 11/10 on the whole list

IMP Shogun likes this.
  4. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Nice year @IMP Shogun ! My favorites;
    #7 Trajan denarius - Excellent coin and type.
    #5 Marcus Aurelius Denarius - I agree. Great portrait and style!
    #1 Siliqua - I have a soft spot for these late Roman silvers.

...although it’s hard to argue with your logic in regard to Hadrian...
    C2128469-995F-4E5E-865C-672CC14C76FF.jpeg
    I can get on board with more Hadrian and more cowbell! :cow::cow::cow::D
    9E0EBEE5-6829-4D86-B43B-A53C9A4633F6.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
  5. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Dang! I'm pretty sure I just cut myself looking at that Hadrian!
    Never have I seen a coin so unintentionally serrated.
    And the detail on those Dioscuri steal the show for me:):)
    I LOVE early Roman Republic coins:singing:
    IMG_0305(1).PNG

share4664841476067502333.png
    (Looking for my identification to remember what is protrudingfrom his groin on the reverse?)

6. IMP Shogun

View attachment 1397430

7. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I always enjoy this time of year. Get a chance to see all the Saturnalia's best.

IMP Shogun likes this.
  8. IMP Shogun

The runners up, I think I penalize it for being over cleaned:
    0.0000 Hadrian Denarius Strike marksresized.jpg

And put through the slot machines a few times:

Hadrian Denarius 1.jpg

It doesn't quite look that extreme in hand. I'm not sure if it was a test cut gone awry but it does look like a shuriken.

[​IMG]

9. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

Nice selection, @IMP Shogun. :)
    I like your two RR chariots, and the sharp Marcus Aurelius denarius portrait.

IMP Shogun likes this.
  10. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

I love them all, but I think the two Roman Republicans are especially gorgeous; outstanding examples! I also voted for the Marcus Aurelius, for the particularly wonderful, sharp portrait. Congratulations.

rrdenarius and IMP Shogun like this.
  11. FrizzyAntoine

FrizzyAntoine Well-Known Member

The Augustus really stood out to me, a lovely coin with a charming portrait. I also voted for the disocuri denarius and the siliqua, but it was tough choosing from a great list, congrats!

IMP Shogun likes this.
  12. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

Wonderful selection @IMP Shogun ...Very difficult to put any in front of another but if forced I went for the Magnus Maximus, Dioscuri and the Augustus....
    Congrats on a great collecting year.

IMP Shogun likes this.
  13. ambr0zie

ambr0zie Dacian Taraboste

Congratulations! My choices would be 1. Dioscuri (love the reverse) 2. Marcus Aurelius (exceptional portrait) 3. Trajan for the overall look and for the reverse, reminding that ancient times had other things except wars and conquests.
    Honorable mention to the Augustus coin, as the conservation is excellent for this issue.

IMP Shogun likes this.
  14. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Shogun, You scored a great selection of Roman coins, from early to late period :happy:! My favorite is the Dioscuri denarius with beautiful engraving on both sides ;), followed by the handsome Constantine nummus with an exceptionally fine reverse, & my 3rd pick would be the Augustus bronze with impressive portrait :cool:.

IMP Shogun likes this.
  15. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

You had a great year, @IMP Shogun, and each of them is worthy of a number one spot. I particularly liked the Marcus Aurelius denarius with the all-round legend (characteristic of AD 161-163), the TVLLVS as of Augustus, and the Constantine, but the RR denarii are lovely, too. I hope 2022 is good to you and your collection.

panzerman and IMP Shogun like this.
  16. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

@IMP Shogun, an excellent set of coins and I appreciate a write-up that includes information on the history and why they interest you. An enjoyable post. I picked the two [British-"ish"] usurpers and the first of your RR denarii. All nice coins and I can see Augustus will be popular too.

Your Magnus Maximus siliqua is excellent! Between Attic Tet to Hadrian sestertius it seems that there will not be a shortage of options for "next coin":) Congratulations and best wishes for 2022!

IMP Shogun likes this.
  17. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

I voted for the two republican and the Augustus, but might as well have chosen others since they're all tied

My companion coin for your Augustus

[​IMG]
    Augustus, As - 7 BC
    CAESAR AVGVST PONT MAX TRBUNIC POT, Bare head of Augustus left
    M SALVIVS OTHO III VIR AAA FF, around SC
    11.18 gr
    Ref : RCV # 1685 var, Cohen # 516

Q

18. Fugio1

Fugio1 Well-Known Member

Your anonymous denarii are very nice, the RRC 198/1 particularly so, and you attributed it correctly - most dealers incorrectly assign this issue to RRC 53/2. Yours is better than mine:
    198-1-Naville-June2019-Blk.jpg

19. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

All fantastic coins but I love that Augustus portrait, congrats on a great year of collecting.

IMP Shogun likes this.
  20. gogili1977

gogili1977 Well-Known Member

Great year. My favorites: Trajan denarius and Constantine I.

IMP Shogun likes this.
  21. Ignoramus Maximus

Ignoramus Maximus Nomen non est omen.

Nice work, @IMP Shogun!:)

The Diocletian is a beauty, I think (that reverse!), and the galloping Dioscuri
    on the Republican denarius are just lovely.

IMP Shogun and panzerman like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted