Shogun's Top 10 for 2020

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by IMP Shogun, Nov 27, 2020.

1. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

A very nice group!...The Solidus is a great looking coin but a close second for me is that lovely interesting portrait of Augustus.....

IMP Shogun likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. IMP Shogun

IMP Shogun Well-Known Member

This one has been very challenging to photograph. The lighting requirement just is very unique compared to my other coins. I've tried overexposing it but I think I'm just limited right now in some of my photography skills.

[​IMG]

4. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

@IMP Shogun, Amiens is the mint to have for those.
    In your presentation, you call it an AE3. At 24 mm and 4,13 gr, wouldn't you rather call it an AE2 ?

Q

IMP Shogun likes this.
  5. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Some really amazing coins, Shogun! Thanks for sharing them!
    John

IMP Shogun likes this.
  6. IMP Shogun

I’ve seen this as AE centenionalis and maiorina, AE2 and even heavy in front of those terms but Wildwinds has it as AE3. You’re right it isn’t the best description. For a while I just called all these late Roman coins “bronze”, Follis or nummus in my records. I kinda want to call it a maiorina as I don’t have any labeled that way yet ;)

Cucumbor likes this.
  7. IMP Shogun

Thank you, I’ve focused my collection there and in particular on Trajan. I’ve been tempted to post my Adoptive Emperor collection on the recent threads but find I spend too much time photographing and not enough time handling. I guess it could be considered the same thing but I find photography of this sort too structured to rise to the level of fun that handling and showing a coin in person is. Right now however nothing clears the room faster than a coin discussion in my home.

thejewk likes this.
  8. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

These are fantastic @IMP Shogun . The Marcus Aurelius Sestertius from the Stoecklin collection is my favorite followed by the Trajan/Mars. I am a bit partial Nerva Antonine coins I guess. Great year.

Draft saved Draft deleted