Shipwreck Spanish Colonial Bust-Type 8 Reales

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by man2004, Sep 20, 2018.

1. man2004

man2004 Active Member

I attached better photos of the encrusted Spanish Colonial coins from a previous thread. I believe they were recovered in the Caribbean near Cuba.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ilmcoins

ilmcoins Well-Known Member

I am interested if there are any experts here for this. We talk a lot about "can you imagine who may have held this coin". With these the history is several fold in my opinion. They were minted, loaded onto a ship, the ship sunk for one reason or another, many lives were most likely lost, they sat on the ocean floor for hundreds of years, and then either a treasure hunter or a guy walking down the beach after a storm found them. These have a lot of history for sure!

4. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

In the vein of "even a blind dog finds a bone occasionally".... That is exactly what happened for me almost thirty years ago. Parts of the Carolina coast offer up treasures from days past when these hurricanes blow through. Even at my age I get lost in the history when I hold this one.

IMG_2879.JPG

5. Seadog92

Seadog92 New Member

I can't really tell if coins brought me to loving history, or loving history brought me to coins. They're too intermingled in my spirit. Then again, it could have been my 8th grade history teacher, Ms. Smith. LOVED her class.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Experts ? Not to my knowledge. The way I use the the term there are maybe 5 actual experts, in different areas, who are members of this forum. But there are some knowledgeable members here, some quite knowledgeable about these coins.

So if you'd like to know something, ask, I'm sure you'll get answers.

7. ilmcoins

I use the term "expert" loosely. Even an expert learns something new everyday... or they should. I was looking for someone that could add input.

8. GDJMSP

Well, I can add input but I don't know what ya want or what you're looking for. I've owned just about every major book on the subject there is, but over the years I've been selling my library, passing it on to others who can make use of it. Back in the 70's I was the original discoverer of a Spanish galleon shipwreck, dove on it for weeks, recovered its anchor, a couple cannon, some coins, various other artifacts. Have studied these coins ever since, and collected them for a while - but I am far from an expert. And in point of fact there are members here who know far more about these coins than me.

And I may or may not be able to answer your questions. But without at least a question, there's really not a whole lot I can add for you.

9. moneditis

moneditis Reales de a 8

10. ilmcoins

Based on the photos what can you tell me about them? I believe that was also the point of the OP original thread which he refers to.

11. man2004

man2004 Active Member

Yes, I posted the photos to open up a discussion about these "clumps" of coins that were likely recovered in Caribbean waters. I have virtually no experience with coins recovered by treasure hunters, metal detectors, etc. Unfortunately, the coins were not purchased with any certificates attached to a specific shipwreck. I was only told by the seller that they were recovered in Caribbean waters. From the photos, Sedwick was able to tell me that they are Bust-Type 8 Reales likely from either the Cazador 1783 or Leocadia 1800. Unfortunately, Sedwick is currently working on a large project. So, I would not receive a formal appraisal from them for quite some time.

With that information, I am curious about were I can submit them for certification and their approximate value. I am also wondering if they should be conserved or if they should remain in their current state. I simply bought these because I liked them in hand. The photos do not do them justice! As @ilmcoins mentioned, the history behind these coins could be amazing. It is my hope that we can piece together a timeline with input from our "non-expert" members. I appreciate any information you can offer and respect your knowledge at any level.

12. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

Start with diameter of coins. I think you have a loose one, please post good pics, diameter and weight.

13. Randy Abercrombie

@BlackBeard_Thatch was a wealth of info to me when I posted my coin. He was even able to help narrow my coin down to a possible shipwreck near St Helena island off the Carolina coast. Alas he is off serving our nation now..... Sedwick is the recognized expert. I wonder if you could Google the shipwrecks he mentioned at start piecing a puzzle together from there?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  14. man2004

man2004 Active Member

The 6 coins I purchased are in 2 clumps of 3 coins. The weight would include 3 coins plus the attached coral/rock. The diameter is approximately the same as an Eisenhower dollar. I don’t have any single coins. Please see the attached photo. Thank you for your comments.

Attached Files:

15. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

I would leave them as they are - way too many "shipwreck" coins on the market, and they are over priced. You won't be able to identify the ship they came from, and keeping them as they are proves they were lost treasure.
    As far as value, worth a bit, but not a lot. Talking hundreds, not thousands.

According to your dimensions, these would be 8 reales. You may be able to see a date or mint mark on one.

16. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

17. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Not much one can say about them without better pictures, which would be difficult since they are fused into a solid block.

However, it is obvious these are from the Spanish New World mints, more than likely Mexico City, and that they are of the 'newer' style, ie not the 'Dos Mundos' type.
    That means they are from the reign of Carlos III, Carlos IV or Ferdinand VII.
    The newer type was coined as of 1773 approx.

Since you have them in-hand, you should be able to make out the mint where the coins were struck. This is located on the peripheral legend left of the base of the Column on reverse (Pillars of Hercules).

8 reales CT - 1.jpg

Mexico City mint is abbreviated Mo (with small O over the M), Lima, Peru is LMAE in ligature, Potosi, Alto Peru (Bolivia) is PTS in ligature, Santiago, Chile is So (small O on top of S).
    Again, since you have the lumps in-hand, turn them over and see if you can see the portrait of the king.

Treasure coins are exciting. I was very lucky to be able to buy this 8 escudos recovered of the wreck of the Nuestra Senora de la Luz which sank of Montevideo on the River Plate on its way to Spain, around 1752. Some of the treasure was salvaged in 1992 and auctioned by Sothebys. Most of the 'Peluconas' (8 escudo coins) recovered from the wreck were struck at the Spanish colonial mint of Santiago in 1750 and 1751.

8 reales CT - 1.jpg

8 Escudos from the wreck of the Nuestra Senora de la Luz:

8 escudos fron the Senora de la Luz - OBV1 N - 1.jpg 8 escudos fron the Senora de la Luz - REV1 N - 1.jpg

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  18. GDJMSP

There's nothing I can add that hasn't already been said in other posts.

If by certify you mean grade and slab - nobody will. It can't be done with coins that are still encrusted like that, let alone stuck together. I'm fairly certain that Dan can give you a verbal authentication, and he may even be willing to write something out on paper for you but I don't know, you'll have to ask him. As for value, Dan will know best.

The answer to that kinda depends on what you want, what you would prefer if you will. Left as is they make very nice historical artifacts, a novelty even, at least in my opinion. That can be a plus or a minus, depending on how one looks at it, because clumped together they would be more scarce - most found like that are broken apart, cleaned, and sold individually.

The downside of leaving them alone is that they will continue to deteriorate over time - pretty much no matter how you store them. But it's not going to happen quickly really but it will happen. This is because salt water artifacts need to be kept in salt water to prevent further deterioration. Putting them in fresh water or leaving them in the open air, where fresh water in the form of humidity can get to them, allows deterioration to continue.

If you wish to leave them as is and slow down deterioration as much as you can then you need to store them much as you would any other coins, in something like a small Tupperware container along with a rechargeable silica gel pack. But you don't want to keep other coins with these - they need to be kept separate, away from other coins - or you may risk damage to the other coins.

man2004 likes this.
  19. Randy Abercrombie

Times like this I hate that my memory has departed...... The ancients guys use a product to conserve their coins and prevent further degradation. For the life of me I cannot think of the product but have purchased a coin that had the treatment. The coin appears to almost have a waxy coating on them. Would something like that stop the salt from doing further damage to his coins?

20. GDJMSP

That's because it is wax :)

Over the centuries collectors have used a great many different things in an effort to try and protect their coins. Most of which, also over the centuries, have been discovered or decided to be bad ideas, and for various reasons. But even today, opinions on this matter still vary, and sometimes greatly.

It's not just the salt, it's everything, including the air itself. All coins will deteriorate if left exposed to air. But with saltwater artifacts, yes salt makes it worse, and so does the encrustation. But the biggie is the interaction between both of those and the air because the air causes the salt and encrustation to accelerate deterioration even more.

Would wax slow it down, even stop it ? Not really. Sure the wax would seal off the air from getting to the coin, but the salt and encrustation would still be there doing their damage.

You also have to consider how much wax would it take to cover something like these specific coins - the blob of wax would be so large you couldn't even tell it was coins.

Wax is only a viable option when the coin is just the coin - not an object covered with large encrustations, or covered with anything for that matter. The point I'm trying to make here is that if you broke the coins apart, cleaned all foreign material from them - then and only then could wax do any good. And even then, it is highly questionable if it even is good. A great many do not think it is.

21. ilmcoins

If broken apart, would the conservation efforts of a TPG stop the deterioration? What would be the best DIY method of conservation after breaking apart the coins and removing the encrustation?

Draft saved Draft deleted