Shipping to the U.S. from the U.K. (need help)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by kazuma78, Jan 23, 2019.

1. kazuma78

kazuma78 Supporter! Supporter

I am looking at bidding on some ancient coins in an auction in the U.K. I have not done this before and was wondering if there are any import restrictions I should be aware of for ancient coins (I'm looking at mainly greek), and also if there is a import cost or tax for bringing the items into the U.S. (a tax from the u.s. side?)

Any insight or experience would be greatly appreciated.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Good question. Just posting since I am curious myself. :D

4. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

There are some restrictions coming into the US, but thinly enforced. Most packages coming from UK are not looked at I believe. Sicily and Cyprus are two we have signed agreements, (the US) to not import, yet I have imported both easily.

I have never been charged any tax to bring anything into the US.

5. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I have had several packages sent by Royal Mail to the U.S. So far, everything has gone perfectly, I was not charged a duty on the declared value, even though it was listed on the label (the purchase price). Tracking has also worked as well, as I have been able to follow the packages from dispatch all the way to my home. These ranged from just a few coins up to a kilo package of uncleaned late roman bronzes.

6. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I have purchased from UK several times with no restriction issues. It helps if the Seller gives a written statement in the Customs paperwork regarding provenance, etc. I have purchased several items that was prior to the cutoff periods (AES Grave, early Italia, etc.) and the provenance paperwork eased any potential problems.

However, should they have a total value above around $7,500, US Customs have assessed me approx 1.5% over the value ABOVE the $7,500. Each time, it was a small amount, and FedEx, UPS, etc just called me for a credit card. Each case was easy for me.

7. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

I've never had any issues with any coins shipped from the UK. Most have come via International Registered Mail and normally have taken anywhere from 5 to 15 days to arrive.

I'm not sure if the US partial government shutdown is affecting customs because currently I have a coin shipment from France that is in its 10th day at ISC NY (JFK customs).

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  8. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

It's not, some british half crowns I got were held up for 10 day came last saturday.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
    David Atherton likes this.
  9. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

The previous coin from Europe I ordered came from Spain and I had it shipped via DHL express to avoid such delays. It arrived in 3 days. I took a gamble with the current shipment. [​IMG]

10. SeptimusT

SeptimusT Well-Known Member

I specifically collect Romano-British antiquities, so I get a lot of shipments from the UK. Lots of coins come from there, too. Never had a problem, even for things specifically marked as 'Roman coin' on the customs sheet (which I think is just asking for trouble).

11. kazuma78

kazuma78 Supporter! Supporter

Thanks for the information everyone, I feel much better about purchasing from the U.K. now. Looking forward to hopefully picking up a few new things!

Alegandron likes this.
  12. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

I have purchased from the UK a number of times and have never had a problem.

13. EWC3

EWC3 (mood: stubborn)

Note I recently sent a packet to Germany from the UK, which Royal Mail inexplicably sent to Chicago. I then tracked it all around Minnesota (really!) for about a week, where upon USPS sent it back to the UK. Royal Mail then sent it on another trip around the UK – back to within a mile of myself, but then changed their mind and sent it back to Heathrow bound for GLS in Germany. After a black hole of several days – GLS admitted having it and delivered it, in Germany. Took 3 weeks in all. What can I say? Low marks for intelligence all round, but full marks for honesty…..

Spent an hour+ in total hanging on the phone to USPS and RM but only got through to a human being once. But that nice RM lady gave me my 10 quid postage back :)

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    Alegandron and thejewk like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted