Shipping time from the UK

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Numisnewbiest, Mar 5, 2021.

1. Numisnewbiest

Numisnewbiest Well-Known Member

This is for an artifact (my Roman redware pottery), not a coin, so I don't know if that has anything to do with shipping time. Also, it didn't go through New York customs like a coin would - it went from the UK to Memphis, TN, where it got an import shipment release (whatever that is). The artifact didn't require any kind of export license or anything like that.

It was sent by FedEx International Economy. It left London two days ago and is on a FedEx truck right now and scheduled for delivery today in Pennsylvania - two days from the UK to my door.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

Holy guacamole!

4. JayAg47

JayAg47 Well-Known Member

5. Numisnewbiest

Numisnewbiest Well-Known Member

Here's the trip, just to show I'm not making it up:

FedEx.JPG

Pellinore and Clavdivs like this.
  6. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

I have noticed in the past that it "feels" like FedEx gets less scrutiny when it passes through customs. Like you, I had a package last year that took around 3 days from GB to my house. If it goes through the postal service it can sit in customs for weeks before continuing on its journey.

DonnaML likes this.
  7. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Usually Royal Mail takes a week-and-a-half to two weeks. I got a coin via DHL which took 36 hours to get from Antwerp to San Francisco.

DonnaML likes this.
  8. ambr0zie

ambr0zie Dacian Taraboste

I'm on the other side.
    An auction house from Germany sent me a packet via FedEx on Monday, as usually.Should have arrived yesterday.
    One of the reasons I stick with them is the fact that FedEx are usually very fast.

My package is stuck in Koln since Tuesday 5:46 AM.

9. kirispupis

kirispupis Well-Known Member

I had a similar experience. Ordered some coins from an auction house in London that were shipped on the third via Fedex and they're on a delivery truck scheduled to be delivered today (the 5th). And that was with them being held up for a little bit because I had to fill out a form for customs.

I also have another coin that was shipped from Vienna via DHL on the 2nd that's also supposed to be here today.

Multiple times I've ordered from an auction house in Munich and the packages take 3-4 days via Fedex to get here. The only exception was from a different company in Frankfurt that took over a month with DHL. I think they sent it via a slower method though.

Interestingly, when I ordered from an auction house in PA, it took over a week for the coins to get to the opposite coast... :)

Numisnewbiest likes this.
  10. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Maybe Fedex knows something about Memphis TN that I don't know. Earlier this week, I received my new Caecilius Metellus elephant head coin from CGB in Paris via Fedex, within a couple of days from when it was sent, and in less than 24 hours from leaving the airport in Paris. Even though instead of being shipped directly to NYC, it went through Memphis. Here's the tracking history:

Tuesday, March 2, 2021
    12:24 PM NEW YORK, NY
    Delivered
    Package delivered to recipient address - release authorized
    9:36 AM BRONX, NY
    On FedEx vehicle for delivery
    9:18 AM BRONX, NY
    At local FedEx facility
    7:03 AM NEWARK, NJ
    Arrived at FedEx location
    4:11 AM MEMPHIS, TN
    Departed FedEx location
    2:13 AM MEMPHIS, TN
    International shipment release - Import
    Monday, March 1, 2021
    11:15 PM MEMPHIS, TN
    8:56 PM ROISSY CHARLES DE GAULLE CEDEX FR
    Departed FedEx location
    8:20 PM ROISSY CHARLES DE GAULLE CEDEX FR
    In transit
    7:40 PM ROISSY CHARLES DE GAULLE CEDEX FR
    7:05 PM ST OUEN FR
    Left FedEx origin facility
    6:58 PM ST OUEN FR
    In transit
    6:20 PM ST OUEN FR
    In transit
    4:31 PM ROISSY CHARLES DE GAULLE CEDEX FR
    International shipment release - Export
    4:27 PM PARIS FR
    Picked up
    Saturday, February 27, 2021
    6:31 AM
    Shipment information sent to FedEx

Similarly, on several occasions I've had DHL Express packages from the UK routed to me through Cincinnati, Ohio rather than sent directly to NYC. Sometimes there's been a delay in customs, but usually I've gotten the packages within 2-3 days.

Numisnewbiest and Chris B like this.
  11. Iepto

Iepto Active Member

Memphis TN is where Fedex has their customs clearance office. Unlike normal post via USPS, which has the main ports being NYC for east coast, and Los Angeles for west coast (though I'm sure there's more). I don't recall if it handles customs for the entire US, but I have an impression it does.

DonnaML likes this.
  12. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I have had that experience several times, both in business and personal shipments. Luck of the draw, but is always a great feeling. Good on you.

Numisnewbiest likes this.
  13. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

That's been my experience as well with Fedex or DHL shipments from Europe. When possible, especially since covid hit, I ask seller's to ship via those carriers.

Numisnewbiest and DonnaML like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted