Shipping question

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Gilbert, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

As a retired Postal manager I must disagree with you. Once you've worked for the post office and witnessed time and time again what they can do you'd change your mind.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Troodon

Troodon Coin Collector

Not a legal expert I'll admit but I guarantee you just about every law and policy agrees that ultimately in a legal trade the responsibility lies with the seller until the item is in the hand of the buyer. (I can attest to the fact that eBay/PayPal policy at least states so.) If you can quote me a law (not just USPS policy) that says otherwise only then would I change my mind. And even then it wouldn't alter my opinion that it should be that way.

4. Collecting Nut

Understood but I can only tell you what I dealt with when I worked for them.

5. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

After reading posts here and checking EBay policy, if the coin does not show soon I will send the seller a message saying the item has not arrived. And suggest they contact USPS. Worse case I will file a claim with eBay.

6. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Only the contents of the package from China would make me nervous.

tibor likes this.
  7. Robidoux Pass

Robidoux Pass Well-Known Member

I've always wondered about this eBay stated policy vs. statements in a seller's listing that they are not responsible for loss in the mail and that buyers should also request and pay for insurance. Does this proactive statement by the seller control over the eBay policy statement and the buyer now assumes the risk of loss?

8. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

@Randy Abercrombie Contact the sender and ask them to look
    into it from their end. I've had to do this more than once. If you
    trust the sender, the package should eventually arrive. My worst
    experiences are when German dealers use DHL. A few times the
    package looks like it has been run thru a chipper shredder.
    I would contact the dealer.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  9. Collecting Nut

You would be surprised how many times a parcel is found when the delivering postmaster starts looking for it.

It's been long enough so don't wait much longer.

Gilbert likes this.
  10. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

Agreed - the new Corona virus is travelling around the globe as we speak :eek:

11. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

I was thinking more of the counterfeit goods they ship.

juris klavins likes this.
  12. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

I had a shipment from Thailand to USA lost recently, so I made up another lot to send to that person. It was the Secret Santa thing. I was tempted to write on the outside of the packet "Hey! You thieves in the USPS! Quit stealing my stuff!" But then thought, that might not be so smart. I send my stuff registered with a tracking number, and after it leaves here, it drops into a black hole or something. I understand that the US postal carriers do not bother to get a delivery signed for, and the tracking systems seems to not work after it leaves here. If someone could explain it to me, I would really appreciate it. For a long time, I have just had to eat such losses. Canada and the US are the worst for such losses.

13. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Depends on the country but priority or express mail for international. You're just drawing attention to it sending something registered to other countries

14. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

I get several packets a week from India to here (Thailand), registered, signed for, and almost never have a problem. It is the so called first world countries that rob me blind.

Draft saved Draft deleted