Shipping issues from us mint

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Bryanford777, Nov 24, 2020.

1. Bryanford777

Bryanford777 Member

So I ordered a ww2 medal from the US mint nov 9th . So did my friend . Then the tracking info listed it in Tennessee and it was running late . Well last week my friend submitted a ticket for lost mail . The next day it said it was departing Tennessee. I waited . And waited. Finally last night I submitted a lost mail inquiry. Then low and behold my tracking is updated to say that it was finally departing the Tennessee sorting center . So it sat there for 12 days .. only once I claimed it was lost . Did the package start moving again . My friend lives 2 towns over and got his coin last week . Just seems weird To me . Anyone else have something similar happen ?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

You can probably blame it on COVID-19. Not everything should move at a normal pace during this trying time. At least you received it.

4. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Got my Mayflower gold today.
    Mayflower silvers purchased same time as gold still show 'processing' on the mints page.

5. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Check your shipping label and you will notice that the U.S. Mint uses a third party shipper (fulfillment center) and does not ship directly from the Mint. This adds a headache to the quotient. Add to that, that tracking is not always scanned at every stop so it's hard to keep track. Most shipping is actually getting better overall. Try like I do, using media mail for my CD and DVD sales and the headaches enlarge even worse as media items can stay in a truck until that truck is fully loaded before it moves.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  6. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

it's not covid. USPS is way backed up due to changes they made as cost saving measures, no OT anymore. Literally if they can't deliver it in a shift, it goes into a pile and they get to it when they get to it and pile on top of it, eventually when it gets real bad they hire temp workers to run the couldn't deliver pile at regular time.

Only way to get it moving faster is filing a lost package claim if it sits anywhere for 2 days without a tracking update, and then they will retrieve it from the pile and move it again since they don't want to pay out the insurance on the lost package.

that only works with tracked packages and letters though, if it's untracked, it gets there when it gets there if at all.

7. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Yep, all your rural route folks are contracted temps. Even your small post office's do not have postmasters anymore. They are considered sales associates. There's really no way to climb the ladder anymore and I don't wonder why a lot of them are angry people.

John Burgess likes this.
  8. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I purchased 2 buffalo nickels from C-B-D ,he lives not 120 miles south of me .
    He shipped the two in a small envelop, USPS tracking said Friday by 8 pm, then when that didnt happen it was Saturday by 8 pm, nope .....so no plane come Sunday , hope they come monday...well they did....and honestly I could drove down and back a heck a lot faster.
    Not knocking the post office....it is what it is.....and CV-19 has effected each of us more ways than one.

9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Just reminiscing!

About 15 years ago, I won a Morgan $ on eBay, and before I could pay for it, I received a note from the seller. He asked me if I would like to save the cost of the postage and insurance because we only lived about one mile from one another.

~Chris:):):):):)

Paddy54 likes this.
  10. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

I recently purchased a coin on Ebay...the tracking number was scanned 33 times over a period of ten days at a post office in North Carolina....then it disappeared for ten days....then it finally showed up....

Draft saved Draft deleted